Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Google Glass and it's effect on sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
At some point, you really might just as well stay home where it is safe and comfortable and play a video game.
That's right, because being able to see a chart plotter due to the glasses on your head rather than the screen mounted on your boat makes someone so much less a capable sailor

I tried to refrain from responding to all the snarky "just go play computer games" posts, but this one finally got to me. Google Glass is not going to trim the sails for you, is not going to make it any easier on the tiller in a squall, it's not going to make better decisions about when to leave port, it's not going to decide for you when to tack, it's not going to tell you when to reef the main or fly the kite, etc.

None of the skills I consider crucial to being a good sailor are replaced (in whole or in part) by having access to the same things we already do today by fishing the mobile phone out of our pocket.

It's just a display with voice recognition - that's it. The actual "sailing" component of what we do is completely unchanged by wearing this... it's just an expensive & less capable alternative to some of what Raymarine already offers... just perhaps a little easier to see and maybe taking a picture of the dolphin's off the port box will just be that little bit quicker and easier. Autopilots and engines (you know, those things we've had for several decades now) have magnitudes more affect on how folks sail their boats than Glass could ever have.
Bene505, jak3b and christian.hess like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to BentSailor For This Useful Post:
BoatyardBoy (11-25-2013)
Old 11-24-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Get it to cure sea sickness and you've got a winner.
John
Old 11-24-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
That's right, because being able to see a chart plotter due to the glasses on your head rather than the screen mounted on your boat makes someone so much less a capable sailor

I tried to refrain from responding to all the snarky "just go play computer games" posts, but this one finally got to me. Google Glass is not going to trim the sails for you, is not going to make it any easier on the tiller in a squall, it's not going to make better decisions about when to leave port, it's not going to decide for you when to tack, it's not going to tell you when to reef the main or fly the kite, etc.

None of the skills I consider crucial to being a good sailor are replaced (in whole or in part) by having access to the same things we already do today by fishing the mobile phone out of our pocket.

It's just a display with voice recognition - that's it. The actual "sailing" component of what we do is completely unchanged by wearing this... it's just an expensive & less capable alternative to some of what Raymarine already offers... just perhaps a little easier to see and maybe taking a picture of the dolphin's off the port box will just be that little bit quicker and easier. Autopilots and engines (you know, those things we've had for several decades now) have magnitudes more affect on how folks sail their boats than Glass could ever have.
You seem to be so anxious to defend your technology that you forgot to read the first three words of my post - "At some point..."
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

brad, if you think gglass will just be a HUD or extra data source, you're missing the boat. As the virtual reality apps and overlays come out for these things, a whole new world opens up. Before there was a Google, folks were talking about using these for aircraft maintenance, i.e. look at an engine and the schematics, part numbers, fault overlays, all come up and tell the mechanic what has been serviced, what needs service, what tools to grab, etc.

Now take that to sailing. Look at your sail, which of course has draft strips on it. OLD America's Cup technology shoots the video of those stripes to a computer, where they are compared with optimal stripe position to match up the sail draft. You gglasses will tell you "trim the ----haul, dummy!" and overlay the stripes in red to indicate wrong position, green to indicate properly trimmed. Or whatever.

Seen the graphics on the America's Cup this year? All the funny current arrows and "smoke" in and on the water? That's all the stuff that gglasses can and will do, assuming you want to pay for it.

Oh, and when you glance down at your engine, or the breaker panel? That's right, they'll nag you to change the oil and check the fuel and water tanks, too.

This stuff has the potential to be Jiminy Cricket on your shoulder. Except, of course, Google is behind it and Google are a flock of irresponsible schoolboys who never quite bother finishing any project, much less correcting the flaws that thousands of customers report year after year. On this one, I might hold out for the Apple iEye implementation, or their marine grade iAyeEye, although of course, that will only work if you buy an iBoat to use with it.
Old 11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
You seem to be so anxious to defend your technology that you forgot to read the first three words of my post - "At some point..."
First, it's not my technology. It's Google's. I don't even think it'd be that useful myself when compared to the cost and risk of breaking/losing it and said that in this thread

Second, I was clear in stating that my response was being held back from a multitude of posts expressing similar sentiments. Yours was simply the one that got to me in the end. Consider it the straw that broke the camel's back.

Finally, if you weren't referring to Google Glass, why post it in here? Obviously your sentiments are somewhat related to what it offers or what folks want to use it for... or your post would be off-topic right? Whether or not you prefixed your post with "At some point..." or "My pappy used to say...", this thread is about Google Glass and it's use in sailing - you shouldn't blame folks for assuming a post in the thread is about the subject it's discussing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Except, of course, Google is behind it and Google are a flock of irresponsible schoolboys who never quite bother finishing any project, much less correcting the flaws that thousands of customers report year after year.
Except, like Apple, Google only provide the platform. It's up to application developers from other companies to furnish you with apps meeting your custom & niche requirements. I reckon blaming Google for not crafting an app that makes Glass useful to sailors is like blaming Raymarine for not making devices that help me spell-check my documents. It's not their market and not their goal to meet the requirements of everyone on the planet
Old 11-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I don't blame Google for not crafting an app. They certainly WILL craft apps of some kind, the same way that they've crafted, ergh, hacked together, Google Maps. Or did you mean, not crafting the apps they've kludged? I do blame them for not finely crafting those products they've released. The actual art of craftsmanship seems to be well beyond their abilities.

In case you haven't noticed, Google Maps is an app, and every iteration grows better at directing Google "members" to Google advertisers, which better monetizes the "free" app to make profits for Google.

They *will* surely monetize gglasses the same way.

For instance, when you pan past your engine, and the gglasses flash to remind you "Time to change the oil!" you'll be offered a discrete list of Google advertisers who have paid (outbid each other, too) for the words "OIL CHANGE" and when you wink at one of them, you'll be given the chance to buy oil. And, Google will get paid for serving the ad to you.

Or...Maybe not. Maybe Amazon is offering you free movies, in exchange for rooting your gglasses so that they can take you to the Amazon Store instead. Note that Google also provides a cell phone OS, and Google sets the terms that allow it to be locked down in various ways by various vendors, excluding as they please.

I only mentioned what a couple of companies can do. I made no judgments on how or whether any of them could or would go into the application business, but with the exclusive AppleOS and the exclusive Apple Store sanction, and Apple's express dictates as to what may or may not be offered (and let's not forget, Apple Maps, which is an application from Apple) who knows where these things will go?

The phrase "war" comes to mind. Virtual reality will provide the option to monetize everything you see and say, much more so and much more granularly than anything we've seen yet.

Look, up at the horizon! Land ho! And the marina ads and prices will be flashing in the corner of your eye, while you're still a half hour out. If your icebox is low, the grocery store may even have a launch and rental car waiting for you, along with a discount on dinner reservations.

Yes, it IS going to get that intimate and intrusive, it is only a matter of when, not if. And someone is going to monetize every step of it. Which could be a good thing, or a bad thing. Regardless of who is behind it.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by hellosailor; 11-24-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

hello sailor very well put!

just to add to that line of thinking look at how ads on your computer pop up based on your ip location...when I travel it changes based on what I do and search based on that current location...

I have political ads poping up on sailnet from different parties of el salvador...Im sure you guys get ads that pertain to your area

cant imagine how it would feel like to have all that bombardment of PAID publicity as an AID to navigation...its all money with a little aid dressed up as gglasses or whatever they want to call it

Last edited by christian.hess; 11-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
Plausible Deniability

We'll have one app that superimposes buoys and daymarks on the water, even in heavy fog. With realtime updates of course. And another that grabs the wx and your choice of predictions, to tell you what's coming up ahead and, of course, reminding you (you did buy the polar integration option, didn't you?) when it is time to reef the sails.

Fantasy? No more than "You'll have your exact position and a hemisphere of charts, all in real time, in a thing the size of a paperback book" would have sounded to Thor Heyrdahl.
Old 11-24-2013

I disagree with some of the opinion expressed, but that's neither here nor there. I will address something that is factually incorrect though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Note that Google also provides a cell phone OS, and Google sets the terms that allow it to be locked down in various ways by various vendors, excluding as they please.
Google open-sourced their Android platform in a way that prevents no vendor at all from customising it how they wish, by using the Apache license terms. There is nothing in those terms allowing Google to exclude vendors they don't like.

The only "terms" they set extra conditions on are on what must be available if the vendor wants to use Google's trademarks. I can (and have) downloaded, customised, and used the Android OS for a custom project, legally and without once needing to go to Google for permission. It's not setup that way.

Does Google want to monetize their efforts? Sure. They do that by providing convenient built-in services to the platform so that vendors don't have to do it themselves. If the vendor wants to exclude Google from making money from Android, they can and have done so already - just look at what Amazon did with Kindle.
Old 11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
cant imagine how it would feel like to have all that bombardment of PAID publicity as an AID to navigation...its all money with a little aid dressed up as gglasses or whatever they want to call it
You mean you cannot stand the advertising used to support the free services you are taking advantage of? What a burden! I suggest if you ever get Google Glass, you pay for the software you want ad-free then

Google Glass is just a display/interface technology. That's it. I'd understand all the anxiety if Raymarine had set a precedent for popping up advertising in their bought and paid for chart-plotters. I even have the Australian NAVIONICS charts on my stock-standard Android tablet. It doesn't pop-up any advertising whilst using it.

Why is it people think that adding a display attached to glasses is going to suddenly make these people embed advertising in applications they don't now? Serious question.
Minnesail likes this.