SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A belated farewell to

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
A belated farewell to Sailnet

Some of you may have noticed my absence for a long while now (though I may flatter myself). At any event, I sold my Newport 28 back in the spring, to a nice family with a mooring in the Magothy, and so am done with sailing.

I'd like to thank everyone who offered advice to me in my newbie days, and also as I grew in experience. It was a great ride, but in the end it became more and more incovenient to take care of the boat at a distance of 50 miles, and the lack of family interest after six years took its toll as well.

So I'm back to golf! I'm not sure I do that any better than I sailed (26 handicap). However, it's a lot closer to home, and I can decide to partake at a moment's notice without a two-hour round trip.

To all my fellow sailors, fair winds and following seas! Take care.

#6 ·
I'd take a sailboat 50 miles away over golf anytime. As Da Vinci once said - "Golf makes me frustrated, angry, bored and depressed - and all at the same time". :D

Reactions: Faster
#7 ·
I'm afraid I may be following your path. My son and I are taking golf lessons beginning Sunday. But you'll always be a sailor! I think cruisers have a term for this. CLOG- it's an acronym for Cruisers Living On Ground or something like that.

#8 ·
To bad, I played a ton of golf over the past 20 years, many times 3-4 days a week. I got away from it because the people drove me crazy, always looking for 10 more yards or the putter that would straighten out their lousy stroke or the guy that helicoptered his driver 5 times a around...I haven't played in 5 years and do not miss it.

5 years ago I bought a Harley and spent my weekends riding, after seeing way to many people killed I decided to follow a life long dream and learn to sail.

Anyway, I wish you well may all your drives be long and straight--

#11 ·
You will be back, sailing gets under your skin. It wont be long, the dreams and thoughts will get stronger with time, the bad expensive memories will fade. Then you start listening to the voices in your head as you thumb through an old sailing magazine at the doctors, dentist or barbers. You will be back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.