Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Intercoastal around Florida

I have recently been considering spending some time in the Chesapeake Bay and am presently in the Tampa area. Thinking I might travel south to Ft. Myers brings me concerns about the ditch. I heard Catalina got skewered by Charlie and my thoughts are the part of the island now resides firmly in the Intercoastal Mud Flats behind the Island Fragments.

Does anyone have any up-to-date knowledge of the Intercoastal from here to Fty. Myers?

Next, is the Caloosahatchee clear for five feet of draft to the east coast?

And Last, both francis? and jean? (forgot the names - probably means something psycological that I don''t want to investigate) crossed the East Coast Intercoastal VERY close to each other. How is the Waterway over there? Anyone know?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Happy sailing to all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road

Rats. I meant CAPTIVA. Phooey. I''ve never even seen Catalina. Okey doke.
Old 10-31-2004

dsprygada is on a distinguished road

F.E.:
Just got back from that area 2 weeks ago. No problems transiting the ICW proper. Nice anchorages headed south at the north end of Longboat Key, Sarasota, and free (18 Hour) dock at the Venice Yacht Club. Cabbage Key, Useppa, Captiva, ands Sanibel still have clean up going on and some limited facilities after the Eye of Charlie passed right over.

Can''t comment on the "Ditch". Hopefully someone will comment further. I recall reading that the max mast height is restricted to 45 - 50ft(?) due to fixed bridges. You could always step the mast and save quite a few miles of travel. But then you''d miss the MASSIVE swarms of mosquitoes at Little Shark River in the Everglades. STAY CLEAR!!!

Skipper Bob has an anchorage guide for the entire ICW from Tarpon Springs thru the Keys and up to I believe Virginia. Well worth the $16.(Not a paid advertisement).

Why are you headed to the Chesapeake now? Or is this planned for spring? Enjoy the best time of the year now in Florida. Plus no hurricanes!

DAVE
Old 10-31-2004

ct is on a distinguished road

We lived in Florida and caught a direct- and I do mean direct- hit from Charley and we caught some of Frances and Jeanne. We have moved and are presently in Georgia.

The reports that I seen advises care if you''re using the ICW from Venice south through Ft. Meyers. There my be debris and actually some sunken boats that may be a hazard. On the East coast, the problem is even more severe.

The advice doesn''t say not to use the ICW, just be careful if you do.
Old 10-31-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

I am leaving the ruins of pahokee 11/1 monday headed for a slip in boynton.my boat is one of ten that survived the hurricane jeanne.the entire marina was destroyed.I will be motoring my 30 foot sloop the entire way as the mast is not stepped.its about 80 n.miles to where I am going and plan on stopping the first nite at the park by the st.lucie lock.I will let you know about visible obstructions and debris but I imagine there will be more unseen below the surface