Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Dock or Dry Dock I can't make up my mind

At the end of my season a little over a month ago I had my mind made up. I'm going to try the dry dock at a different marina down the road. How about a little background. For the previous 2 years I have kept my 26 foot swing keel trailer sailor at a dock. Very convenient to just get on and go. Before that I had a power boat at a private dock for a few years. Before that I trailed and launched my power boat every time I wanted to go out. Not a huge issue for me to hook up a trailer and back a boat down a ramp. My previous job was moving aircraft with a tractor around on an air craft carrier. You know the guys in the yellow and blue shirts. Yes I do believe the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN69 is the best boat in the Fleet. Anyway now I'm having second thoughts about the dry dock. Here is how it works. I have a parking spot for my trailer less than 100 yards away from the launch. I am able to keep all my rigging up and ready to go. When I get there I will have to hook up my truck and back it down the ramp into the water then tie it up to a transient dock until I'm ready to go. This is a private launch so there shouldn't be any problem with traffic at the launch. One of the reasons why I am considering this is because it will save me $1000 per season. The other is that when my boat is in the water unattended I am very nervous. I stop by almost every day to check on it. A couple years back I had a 5 months new to me boat sink at the dock. That was the worst call I have ever received and seeing it 1st hand underwater was heart breaking. I also lost my ass on the deal. Insurance company's are the scum of the earth. So the pros are obvious but how about the cons. Drinking beer. I don't go out and get hammered but I do like to have a few while cruising the harbor. I have a company truck that I am allowed to use for personal stuff. I am the Boss and like to take my employees out on the boat but don't want them to see me having a few beers then driving the company truck. My other vehicle is not capable of towing the boat so if I'm going on the boat I will need to be driving my truck. This will also add approximately 15 minuets to the beginning and end of every trip. that doesn't sound like a lot but I go out sometimes 2 or 3 times a week after work for 3 or 4 hours. Having to put the boat in the water might be the thing that makes me not go out if I'm wore out and just want to relax. I don't usually just go sit on the boat but it is nice to do once in a while and I wouldn't do that in a parking lot. I would love to hear from someone who has done this and has real life experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Dock or Dry Dock I can't make up my mind

If it were me, I'd prefer to have the boat already in the water. Just close all the through-hull valves before you depart the marina and make sure all the cockpit scuppers are clear.
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-22-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

We prefer a mooring to a dock, and would much prefer either to the dry dock arrangement you describe. But, we spend a lot of time on the boat at the mooring. It's basically our "waterfront cottage" during the season, so we're there almost regardless of what weather is doing, and usually sleep on the boat on weekends.

I guess it all depends on how you use the boat.
Old 11-22-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Hope you don't talk like you write ABH3!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Hope you don't talk like you write ABH3!
Old 11-22-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
(Punctuation, sentence seperation...take a breath...)
Old 11-22-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

So much easier to phone ahead to have the crew ready the vessel and chill the wine.
Old 11-22-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
So much easier to phone ahead to have the crew ready the vessel and chill the wine.
At my dry dock they do that.....$50 and a call ahead and they will launch the boat, tie it to a transient dock and even put ice in the cooler if I ask...
jimgo likes this.
Old 11-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
(Punctuation, sentence seperation...take a breath...)
s.e.p.a.r.a.t.i.o.n. (Cute puppy you have there. Mine's passed on.)

Last edited by Seaduction; 11-22-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 11-22-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

If your boat is set up right you should not have to worry about it sinking at the dock. It is more risky keeping the boat at a mooring but lots of people do it. If you can swing the extra grand per year that is a nobrainer for me. Launching a 26 footer from a trailer and then loading it back at the end of the day is a PITA.
How did your other boat sink?