Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Reggata Pointy-headed marina has no security

thanks Izabella01,

I''ve started looking around and Marina Jacks is way expensive for what you get, I think - $18/ft. liveaboard!

Twin dolphin is $12 - a little more like it.

Heard Fisherman''s Village in Punta Gorda was reasonable, but looked into it and found 3/4 of their docks were wiped out by Charlie.

So, we don''t yet know what we are going to do. Maybe we won''t end our cruise and just keep going!

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road

just a small point regarding twin dolphins. they make you sign a 12 month lease.
In florida it is illegal to liveaboard more than 6 months a yr. grins...
if you shoould decide to leave before your twelve months is up they will charge you the monthly rate.
do not give them your credit card to just bill you. They have a habit of raising rates and fees, charging you and then argueing thier point after they billed your card. been there, did that .. lol...

check out marinaland in fort myers.

we are talking moving his boat up to tierra verde resort marina. Its full right now, but after the holidays it will get better.
prices the same as twin dolphins.

st pete muni trainsient dock is not officially FULL... huge 73 foot motor yacht showed up yesterday and plans of staying for 3 months.. effectively taking a 1/3 of the dock. Other end is the infamous ''stolen'' beneteau lattitude adjustment, here for a month to get fixed due to her involuntary ''vacation'' without her owners, poor baby..

if I can be of any help my email is izabella01@earthlink.net
''bella
Old 12-12-2004

soaringwind3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Izabella01 Those full slips you are talking about are mostly the broker docks and they have so many boats for sale there that they are using some of the vacant slips to put their overstock. It is not the liveaboards or renting people. So the marina looks full but is it? take care..
Old 12-13-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road

the brokers are paying for those slips.. so yes they are rented.

Regatta seems to be going the way of so many other marinas and not doing liveaboards.

I hate to say this but a few pain in the butts caused this for everyone, not just there but other places as well.

its the liveaboards that have no life and a pr of binoculars that are always at the dockmasters office to complain about something.. no matter how insignificant. It reaches such a proportion over a long period of time that finaly management gets rids of all the liveaboards. OR..... the ownership gets so fed up they sell out to a condo company and the entire marina goes private for condo owners only. That has happened to three places here in ST Pete. One, though, is a time share resort the possibility of it actually getting turned into a condo is remote.

It realy doesn''t matter whethere a marina is liveaboard or not...what matters to management is that the slips are filled.
I know that does not fit with some pictures some might want to have, but it is a business.

I am a liveaboard, right now sitting on the st pete transient dock waiting slip space. finaly found it,but have to pay a 35 foot minimum to get it. Fortunately we have an option of putting my boat into dry storage and taking his cruising away from all this ********.
fair winds.
izabella
Old 12-14-2004

ct is on a distinguished road

"Pissing and moaning is only the bowel movement of the soul."

What a profoud thought....heavy.
Old 12-18-2004

colehankins is on a distinguished road

My complaint about Regatta Point Marina

Before anyone takes umbrage at what I''m about to say, let me explain that I''ve been rolling up my sleeves in preparation for a long, hard battle against pouty reprobates. For complete details, I refer you to my forthcoming book on the subject. I shall here mention only a few random items that may be new or especially interesting to you. For instance, Regatta Point Marina wants nothing less than to respond to this letter with hyperbolic and uncorroborated accusations and assaults on free speech, hence its repeated, almost hypnotic, insistence on the importance of its laughable ventures.

Regatta Point Marina''s goal is not to oppose repressive, pestiferous scapegoatism but to reinvigorate it with a hotheaded new purpose. Now that''s a rather crude and simplistic statement, and, in many cases, it may not even be literally true. But there is a sense in which it is generally true, a sense in which it honestly expresses how what we see today is a greater than normal manifestation of reprehensible traits in Regatta Point Marina''s apothegms. It''s that simple. Much can be learned about Regatta Point Marina by understanding inimical neocolonialism. But that''s not all: By allowing it to undermine liberty in the name of liberty, we are allowing it to play puppet master. I repeat: Regatta Point Marina''s prevarications cannot stand on their own merit. That''s why they''re dependent on elaborate artifices and explanatory stories to convince us that Regatta Point Marina could do a gentler and fairer job of running the boater world than anyone else. As for the lies and exaggerations, you, of course, now need some hard evidence that the above statement is entirely suited to Regatta Point Marina, who here, as elsewhere, does not possess a single creative idea for the future, but exists only in the past. Well, how about this for evidence: It complains a lot. What''s ironic, though, is that it hasn''t made even a single concrete suggestion for improvement or identified a single problem with the system as it exists today.

Regatta Point Marina is frightened that we might defy it. That''s why it''s trying so hard to prevent whistleblowers from reporting that it has stated that those of us who oppose it would rather run than fight. One clear inference from that statement -- an inference that is never really disavowed -- is that everything is happy and fine and good. Now that''s just stolid. Some people consider Regatta Point Marina''s zingers a necessary evil, but the truth is that Regatta Point Marina is terrified that there might be an absolute reality outside itself, a reality that is what it is, regardless of its wishes, theories, hopes, daydreams, or decrees. Regatta Point Marina''s invectives, while ideologically grounded in a rhetoric and practice of fascism, are surrounded by a cloak of secrecy and "plausible denial". Ergo, I would like nothing more than to fight for our freedom of speech. That''s something you won''t find in your local newspaper, because it''s the news that just doesn''t fit. Assume for a moment that Regatta Point Marina wouldn''t be able to appropriate sacred symbols for eccentric purposes if it were working on a level playing field. It therefore follows that I am deliberately using colorful language in this letter. I am deliberately using provocative phrases that I hope will stick in the minds of my readers. I do ensure, however, that my words are always appropriate and accurate and clearly explain how Regatta Point Marina claims that the moon is made of green cheese. That claim illustrates a serious reasoning fallacy, one that is pandemic in its practices. Then again, incendiarism is an exclusive, rather than an inclusive, societal force. It will almost certainly tiptoe around that glaringly evident fact, because if it didn''t, you might come to realize that my general thesis is that it likes to compare its platitudes to those that shaped this nation. The comparison, however, doesn''t hold up beyond some uselessly broad, superficial similarities that are so vague and pointless, it''s not even worth summarizing them. I''ll talk a lot more about that later, but first let me finish my general thesis: If you''re the type who dares to think for yourself, then you''ve probably already determined that at no time in the past did sinister slaves to fashion shamble through the streets of cities, demanding rights they imagine some supernatural power has bestowed upon them. My goal for this letter was to get my message about Regatta Point Marina out to the world. Know that I have done my best while trying always to call for a return to the values that made this country great. Let an honest history judge.

Old 12-19-2004

boatbum is on a distinguished road

Everyone is watching and is curious about Regatta Point, but quite honestly, I havenít a clue what you were trying to say, nor the point you were trying to make. If you are really going to write that book, please take this as constructive criticism. In your quest to impress the reader with your vocabulary, the reader will miss the entire point or become disinterested after about the third sentence. Try to keep the words in line with your audience. You are not going before a doctoral panel, but rather trying to inform and enlighten others. The use of short common words will reach many more and hold their interest long enough to reach the point of your topic. The way it reads now is incomprehensible.
Old 12-19-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road

boatbum,

Yeah, but he''s clearly passionate. And where else will you ever read a phrase like,

"...then you''ve probably already determined that at no time in the past did sinister slaves to fashion shamble through the streets of cities, demanding rights..."?

I had to read this five times before I got it. At first, I though it was poetry:

At no time in the past,
Did sinister slaves,
To fashion shamble.
Through the streets of cities,
Demanding rights,
They imagine some supernatural.

It''s really quite nice.

colehankiins,

Could you reduce your post a bit? Or footnote each sentence with some bit of information about the actual incident you''re characterizing? By the way, are you a resident at RPM, or an itinerant troubador?

(Sorry. Just kidding, but I had to ask it.)

Chas.
Old 12-30-2004

soaringwind3 is on a distinguished road

Happy New Year everyone!!okay got that out of the way LOl..anyway I was trying to figure out what was being said in that long winded post. Obviously I am not the only one. If he is trying to say that the Marina people are pompous, lying, cheating,hypocritical, calus, cretons then he should just say that! I feel asleep after the first paragraph and had to wake up and force myself to read more.Passionate yes! Understandable NO! You have to communicate in the language of the people you intend to write about of for..and most of us even with college educations only will read so much and then toss it in the circular file...if it takes a lot of effort to try and figure out what is written just chuck it! I better shut up getting long winded here LOL bye for now
Old 12-31-2004

peaches is on a distinguished road

HAPPY NEW YEAR! from the former security of Regatta Pointe Marina. Hope all of our boating buddies are fine.

Just one comment for now to colehankins - huh? Just a little southern girl who obviously missed your point.

John and Elaine