Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004

dblatnik is on a distinguished road
Reggata Pointy-headed marina has no security

After watching a little TV in the boaters lounge last night, I decided I would use the restroom instead of the head on my boat. When I came out of the restroom, there were 2 high school kids, big enough to be intimidating, even to me. One was in front of me as turned to head back to my boat and then I heard the other behind me.

They were being *smart* as high school boys will be, and there was a minute when I thought I would have to defend myself.

I am old and out-of-shape, but I learned to defend myself years ago on the south side of Chicago from and ex-street-fighter, and I think I would have been OK. But since I am prepared to use any and all force in my own defense, I try to avoid situations where I might have to do so.

Since the marina has seen fit to do away with security, I think we will have more of this kind of thing to deal with - as the word gets out that there is no working security.

The odd thing is that just about the time I thought there might be trouble, who happens along but Laura - given that this was 10PM or so I was quite surprised. My comment about there being no security brought on rolling-of-the-eyes syndrome and "here we go again" type of comment.

Their wonderful camera system - don''t need security with security cameras - did nothing to keep these kids off the island. If I had been in trouble, what would she have done?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2004

soaringwind3 is on a distinguished road

Hi Debra sorry that happened to you! Of course Laura would have stood behind you and let you handle it being she is Christian and all. i hope you get out of there soon...like we did. Your neighbors.call when ya got a chance. I cannot believe they got rid of security! I thought they let him stay. Well we now see how good the cameras are and if it was here in your place she would be the first to scream for Security! keep us posted as to how things are progressing there. I hope you get out soon..take care and write or call...A and R
Old 11-12-2004

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road

This is getting ridiculous. Two days before Debra''s encounter, I found a young homeless guy staying in the bathrooms. He got in because the locks were broken again. In all fairness, the locks work far more than not, but in all honesty, they are broken far more than they should be. Anyway, in the morning, the staff couldn''t get the kid to leave and finally had to call the police to point the way up the street.
Old 11-16-2004

soaringwind3 is on a distinguished road

Hi FalconEddie, I am so glad to be outta there! When you left was security still living there? Or were they asked to move on? It is too bad that the marina is now going down the proverbial poop shoot. As in the words of our Lord. " You shall reap what you sow" maybe not quoted exactly but you get my meaning... I hope the city takes back the marina and runs it them selves. Keep us posted on your where abouts so we can visit...Angie
Old 11-20-2004

Izabella01 is on a distinguished road

angie, didn''t you move from twin dolphins to regatta? so where did you move this time.

Ifound it too amusing that a lot of the ppl that moved across the river over some of charly''s stuff.. have moved back.

I am so sorry that debra had to encounter such stuff at night. Cameras are no good wnen somneone is raped or laying there bleeding.

In my exprience it those good christians who are the worst when it comes to treating others poorly.
Old 11-21-2004

DougHuffman is on a distinguished road

That "an armed society is a polite society" should apply to sailing too.
Old 12-05-2004

Debra B
If you hate regatta pointe so much why don''t you do what sadie and soaring winds did.. leave..
vote with your wallet instead of whining on a board that can do littel to help other than offer sympathy.
I am not being insensitive..but i drove by the place last weekend and it sure does not look like it is hurting for boats.
oh well...
back to reading
Old 12-05-2004

boatbum is on a distinguished road

Agree. Pissing and moaning is only the bowel movement of the soul. It will change nothing. Get it on down the road. Bunch of obnoxious "Christian Jerk Offs". You can''t do crap with them. Boogie.
Old 12-05-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the other hand, a schmuk like me would who is moving down that way might make a mistake and end up in a bad lease in a place I hate, if it were not for people complaining on this board. Because of them, now I know and will avoid RPM like the plague. However, what I would like to know is where all these other people go after leaving.

Steve
Old 12-08-2004

Steve there are not many places in the area that does liveaboards...legally.
Twin dolphins across the river and regatta pointe are ''it'' in the bradenton area.

Holiday Inn is phasing out thier liveaboards.

Marina Jack in Sarasota has a waiting list.

In St pete its:
the city municipal marina -
if you have a boat under 30 feet the wait is about 8 months.. if it is a nice 35 footer 3-5 yrs, a 40 foot and above,5 to 7 yr waiting.
harborage... noting for a larger boat and the dockmaster is very capricious about who he lets in... the people there are basically snotty.
pasdena marina; long waiting list
blind pass; dockmaster does background checks on all his prospective tenants [without thier permission and behind thier backs] docks are not in good repair
tierra verde resort. 35 foot minimum but might have slips.

further south i have no idea.. shrug.. we are going out cruising so its a moot point for us now..

as i said before.. the ppl doing a lot of the complaining were loyal to the fomer regime. The marina does not look to be in good shape, but last time I drove by, which was thanksgiving it appeared to have a lot of boats there.