SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yet Another Docking thread

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  christian.hess 
#1 · (Edited)
What are my options for parking this boat in this slip?
I've done it once and it worked out OK but not the exactly the way I wanted it to.

The problem was that the wind was from my stern as I came down the fairway.
The plan wast to go down far enough to turn into the "P" dock then do a K turn and tie up port side.

What happened is that since I was going very slowly I was unable to get the bow to swing upwind enough and I got pinned against the piling to the right of the waverunner docks.
It was no problem I just springed off the piling and forced the bow around and and it worked fine. During the season however their may be boats protruding from the pilings.

The constraints are that this has to be single handed and has to be port side tie up.
My dock is the end of "O" where the blue dot is.

So here are the options I know of:
Just do the maneuver faster.

Make the turn into the T dock before the "P" fairway and even touch the dock with the bow and let the wind blow the stern down.

Bring the bow to the aft dock post at any angle and lasso it let the stern swing down then get off the boat at the bow and manually pull the boat in place.

Attempt to tie off starboard side too and from the dock swing the boat.

What method to you figure would have the best chance of success either from the above choices or something different.

See less See more
#2 ·
In my boat, which will pivot 180 degrees in its own length, or nearly, I would just proceed down the left side of the fairway just a bit faster than necessary to maintain steerage, turn to starboard at the end, letting the wind slow me down as I approached the slip at a very slow walking speed. If I need to scrub off more speed I can throttle up in reverse for a few seconds. Since the prop walks the boat to port in reverse, this will actually help pull the stern in. Engine idling, transmission in neutral, step ashore as the boat comes to a complete stop with a line to a midship cleat lead to an anchor point on the dock forward. Secure fore and aft and take a bow if you can pull this off without crew. :cool:

We always have fenders and dock lines arranged port and starboard when entering a harbor, even with an assigned slip. You never know when you might need to switch sides at the last minute.

#28 ·
That is exactly what I did however due to the wind the bow would not come up enough.
It probably would have worked If I was going a little faster.

Reactions: christian.hess
#6 ·
driving in reverse for prolonged times is a bad idea...can go wrong in a number of ways...and most boats arent that good in reverse(most) try it though if you feel like it.

anyways enter slowly and hug your berth, almost touching it...then turn to port with a big oomph of power, go neutral while still turning, then hard over to stbd and gas it in reverse then you should be with your port side to the berth by then...then let the wind push you into it if you have passed it slightly or if done perfectly you should be right at your berth with the bow into it...then simply scooch along it

really hard to explain but I had an exact same berth setup once...it was a side tie that was downwind at berkeley marina in california...but I loved it

when the wind was piping which it usually does...I simply lowered all sails and let the wind push me into my berth...then I would either leave it like that till the wind died and or flipped it in its berth using my berth lines...

#7 ·
driving in reverse for prolonged times is a bad idea...can go wrong in a number of ways...and most boats arent that good in reverse(most) try it though if you feel like it.
I've been tempted to go a couple of miles in reverse just because once the rudder "bites" my boat steers pretty good! If, I don't go too fast. :D

#8 · (Edited)
I say back in, unless you have a full keel or something else that makes the boat totally unmaneuverable in reverse. The ability to pull straight in without having to stop or turn around prevents the wind (or in my case, currents) from overcoming you. Plus, if you get in trouble and need to stop suddenly, you're gunning the motor in forward, which generally works better for most props.

This video shows my docking in a strong tidal cross-current that's pushing me into my slip. I need to back in because the finger pier is too low to board onto the bow, and too short to reach the cockpit if I pull in forward. If I took the time to stop and reverse the boat, the current would push me into my neighbors' boats sideways:

This next video shows me backing in with the current pushing me out of the slip. It's much easier - like landing a plane into the wind - but still much better to back in the whole way:

#11 ·
I don't think you are going to have a lot of options in this. Most important; which way does the boat back? Which is the prevailing wind; is it often gusty and flukey? Is there any current to contend with? Are you spade rudder? Long or short keel?
Do you have enough power in reverse to stop the boat with the normal wind from the stern, with one short, quick burst?
Need this info to give an intelligent suggestion.

#26 ·
The prevailing wind is south, south west, north. It is long island sound so I'm not so sure prevailing wind prevails that often. It moves around a lot.
No current
Long keel

The boat tends to keep going forward for a while even putting it in reverse.

#12 ·
We've found that many sailboats actually back pretty good into the wind. You are pulling the back of the boat towards the wind, and the rest of the boat kinda acts like a flag and hangs straight back, so you maintain control.

Bow into the wind, if you loose the bow at low speed, it's hard to get it back. So, for example to hover into the wind, you need to keep correcting the stern to keep it lined up with the bow.

So maybe when the wind is blowing straight down the slipway, you consider backing in the entire way. Other wind orientations use different tactics.

I'd try backing the boat into the wind in some open area first to see if it works for this boat.

#13 ·
I too would be tempted to back down the entire way. Depends on how reliable she backs down.

Another thought for coming in bow first. If you could ride the fairway on the left side and make one turn to get at least 90 deg to the dock and attach the bow line, the wind would continue to push the boat fully around. Even putting her in reverse would do so, particularly if you attached a mid-ship forward spring line, instead of a bow line.

#14 ·
If you go in forward, make sure you know which way the prop walk pushes your stern when in reverse. If it's to port, like most boats, then you were doing your K turn in the wrong direction. I like Minne's suggestion, because it effectively makes the K turn in the opposite direction, which takes advantage of prop walk to port.

You should be able to turn your boat on its length, but only in the direction where prop walk helps you.

#15 ·
I thought the wind was pushing him down the fairway...not into the actual dock I couldnt make that out

sorry

so basically here is the deal, I should refrain from commenting until more info is given...

boat size, displacement, how does it back in reverse, etc...

I had an old boat that had an offset prop...I still could make it go the direction I wanted it to by judicious use of throttle at the perfect time...its just a matter of getting used to your boat...

honestly this thread is like giving driving lessons online...sounds good butyou need to be on the boat in question to really offer any real help...

peace

#17 ·
I thought the wind was pushing him down the fairway...not into the actual dock I couldnt make that out.....
That's the way I understand it too.

Think about it this way. Get the bow connected and regardless of where the boat is pointed when you tie up, she will clock into the wind, just like at anchor. A little reverse will help, just like at anchor.

#16 ·
Don't quite understand why you HAVE to be port side to. Starboard side to would allow you to slide right in. You wouldn't have to worry about turning the boat around until you went out again. If you needed them then, spring lines would be easy to rig and you'd have all the time you wanted to set things up.

#21 ·
so we are on the same page...

I guess a better question then is OP would you care to switch sides to tie up? as doing all the other maneuvers can make this particular dock a bit unpractical given that you have already been piled up against the "pilings" pardon the redundancy...

if not then like all others have mentioned, to test drives in reverse to port, stbd, and outside in similar conditions

a good way to practice is using bouys out in the open water and test backing into them on each side etc...if you cant or only succesfully do it 50% of the time or less just give in and switch sides to tie up
oh well worse things can happen

LIKE HITTING ANOTHER BOAT in the marina....jajaja

#22 ·
a good way to practice is using bouys out in the open water and test backing into them on each side etc...if you cant or only succesfully do it 50% of the time or less just give in and switch sides to tie up oh well worse things can happen
Strongly agree. When I take owner's aboard on delivery that want to improve their boathandling skills we spend some time working with two 18" round fenders anchored on dinghy grapnels. We can treat them as pilings and back between them or pull alongside. Picking up the fenders and dropping them off again in another configuration is good practice for recovering stuff (and people) overboard.

Tying a bucket a couple of feet from the fender makes a good simulation for COB - much better than a fender or cushion alone.

#23 ·
good stuff auspicious!

...we did this a lot in dinghy racing too...had the kids in optis hover for what felt like hours at a time...that and reaching a bouy then backing off to each side, turn around do the same etc..back into one..etc....

if you can do it sailing you should be able to do it with an engine for sure...

#24 · (Edited)
It would help to have a bit more information about the boat, but I'll assume she backs like most, to port...

I can't see the point of attempting to back all the way into the fairway, especially if the prevailing breeze comes from the left... Backing down such a long fairway, the possibility exists of too many surprises arising, another boat departing its slip, etc, that could put you in an uncomfortable position... Besides, if your boat is sufficiently nimble/maneuverable to consider backing all the way in, it certainly should be able to perform a back and fill turn into your dock at the end...

Minnewaska has the right idea, assuming your prop walks to port, favor the left side at the end, and make your turn in to starboard...

If the space is really that tight, or the prevailing breeze usually strong enough to make it difficult to bring your bow sufficiently back up into the wind, here's what you might consider. Particularly if you're always gonna be alone, with no assistance expected from anyone on the dock...

Get yourself a 6-10' length of padded dock fender, like that made by Perimeter, and mount it along the top edge of your float near anywhere near the middle of your slip... With that sort of 'cushion' in place, all you have to do is get the boat remotely close to being perpendicular to the dock. Once the bow is nudged against that, let the wind do the rest of the work bringing you around, or with an assist from the engine in slow forward, and the helm hard over to starboard...

It won't necessarily be pretty, but it will work, especially in a strong breeze from the left on your diagram... Besides, having a nice padded fender amidships on a floating dock is nice to have, anyway...

#27 ·
is that a spade? cant seem to make it out, I see what might be considered a skeg

btw that would be considered a long fin keel but thats not the point...

how does it back?

#30 ·
Since I don't know the orientation of the slip diagram to north, and it looks to be a pretty sheltered marina and assuming you back to port, I'll suggest this.
As you near your slip (going forward) pull as close to the boats near the wall across from your slip as you dare, only going fast enough to maintain steerageway, and turn sharply for the midpoint of your slip. As the bow nears the dock, 3 or 4 feet, put her in reverse only enough to turn the bow back toward the entrance (keeping the helm hard over), not to actually go astern. This will swivel the boat in place, bringing the bow away from the dock and the stern more parallel and cause a sideways slide toward your slip. Then gently put her ahead, with the helm still hard over or almost so, only enough to continue the turn to stb and center yourself in your slip. With a little practice, you will be able to keep the boat moving sideways toward the dock without moving too much forward or backwards. Don't over do things, she will do this naturally, unless the wind is off your dock. As you arrive alongside, (it may take a couple more little forward/ aft shifts depending on wind) bow in slightly, goose her in reverse, quickly putting her back in neutral, again only enough to swing the bow out and the stern in and center the boat alongside; she should come alongside with no forward or aft movement. Have your lines ready, a bow, spring (or two) and a stern line and you'll be all set.
I almost always approach mid-dock at around 90 degrees if conditions are calm. If not, then make adjustments to use the wind and/or current to your advantage. If you have a pronounced prop walk, you will only be able to turn one way, but you will never have a problem getting her bow through the wind if you use the back and fill method. Remember to keep the helm hard over; don't try to steer, because you are using the engine/propwalk to turn, not the rudder and you won't have time to go lock to lock, anyway.
I hope this is clear; it's easier to do than explain.

#32 ·
good stuff dave e I had never heard of an almond 32 but yes an allmand 31...and funnily enough combat throttle is sometimes needed on certain boats im glad you brought that up

btdt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.