SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing movies/ films

12K views 56 replies 38 participants last post by  capnace 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone has made a thread like this in the past, I looked for this on the search but sometimes theres hidden results. However today i saw all is lost, it was alright but I was wondering if anyone wanted to help me make a list of sailing related movies.

I would separate it into two separate kinds of movies, Entertaining/hollywood and documentaries. I don't mind if the sailing content is somewhat unrealistic i just think having a thread about sailing related movies would be interesting so go.

#4 · (Edited)
Movies I have seen and enjoyed:

Riddle In The Sands
Wake Of The Red Witch
Captains Courageous
The Old Man And The Sea
Moby Dick
Mutiny On The Bounty
Treasure Island
Wackiest Ship In The Army
Captain Ron
The Long Ships
The Vikings
Ulysses
Jason And The Argonauts
Captain Blood
Waterworld

movies I have heard of but not seen:

Wind
White Squall
Master And Commander
Horatio Hornblower

Nonfiction:

Nomads Of The Wind - multipart series about the navigators & settlers of the Pacific Islands

Hokulea - building & sailing a replica voyaging canoe from Hawai'i to Tahiti.
***** R.I.P. Mau Piailug, Master Navigator & Wayfinder *****

Kon Tiki

The Brigantine Yankee's voyages were chronicled on PBS a long time ago.

Irving Johnson & Alan Villiers did documentaries about square-riggers & Cape Horn,- might be on youtube.

#7 ·
Nóz w wodzie (Knife In The Water)
Life of Pi
Kon Tiki (2012 - as well as the documentary - 1950)
The Bounty (1984)

#9 ·
Got to add a few here.....

I/we LOVE ALL sailing movies/videos! Even the ones that are soooooo flawed as to have a china cabinet in the main cabin and pet food bowls that don't spill during the storm!!! :p

But for the top ones....

From Hollywood;
FIRST :D *** Captain Ron! *** :D
Wind - starred Matthew Modine, Jennifer Grey and Cliff Robertson.
Overboard - starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell
White Squall - Jeff Bridges as Christopher "Skipper" Sheldon, Caroline Goodall as Alice Sheldon

From real people;
Blue Water Odyssey - Amazon.com: Blue Water Odyssey: Movies & TV@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PZSGAESFL.@@AMEPARAM@@51PZSGAESFL
600 Days to Cocos Island - 600 Days to Cocos & the Galapagos Islands
The Partnership Voyage of Entr'acte - The Partnership is a story of love and friendship onboard a Nor Sea 27 sailboat

Disclosure;
We knew Gene Evans of 600 Days, who has passed away. He was a good man and a fine sailor.
We are friends with Ed & Ellen Zacko of Partnership. And they sail a sister ship to ours.
I won't list ours from our web site.

Greg

#20 ·
Here's a film that probably most of you haven't seen- it's called "O mundo em duas voltas" about a Brazilian sailing family who follow Magellan's route around the world 500 years later in their 54 foot steel ketch. It's in Portuguese, but even if you don't speak the language, it's full of fantastic sailing and great photography, especially in the Patagonia and Straights of Magellan. You can watch it on youtube.

first part of the film:

The rest of the film is in parts from 2 to 9:

#21 ·
nice I will download those

copacabana Im sorry I wish I had a link for the dove movie...my grandfather would always borrow one from the broward county library(a very nice library in ft lauderdale florida) for free all the time...

I loved that movie!

Reactions: copacabana
#22 ·
180* (degrees) South

It's a sailing/surfing/climbing movie with a message about stopping development in South America. There's a good 20 minutes about how the 50' sailboats mast snaps in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, they go to Easter Island and have to step a new mast while anchored in a bay. Pretty interesting rig set up to step the mast. Some funny commentary about how uncomfortable it is to be sailing in the ocean for days on end.

Oh and it's pretty heavily endorsed by Patagonia, but worth a look.

#25 ·
So, not a Hollywood movie, but if you want to watch some intense sailing, the most recent Volvo Ocean Race documentary on youtube is INTENSE. They make most of our kind of sailing look like playing with rubber ducks in the bath tub.

Here's where it starts:

#33 ·
yup! still its a movie and this is what this thread about...

he indeed retired into the woods if you will...having nothing to do with modern society...and that was back in the late 70s...

I have read his book many many times...inspiring me to let loose and cruise when I was barely 17...a bit older than he was when he set sail...

cheers:)

#34 ·
Don't forget Dylan Winter now has five sets of "Keep Turning Left" dvds available:

Keep Turning Left

Small-boat sailing, gunkholing, gorgeous photography - take a look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.