Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
a lot to be thankful for

I will never forget the nite hurricane jean hit.I was working in an ER in a hospital in miami,south of where most of the devastation was.But as I was watching the weather on the tv monitors I was like an expectant father in a maternity ward.I knew the eyewall was too close for comfort.Just 3 weeks earlier my boat survived a near dircect hit from frances,but this was too much.At 7 am my shift ended and I drove 80 miles not knowing what to expect.What I saw at the marina was something like ground zero.The marina was totally destroyed.only a handful of boats remained afloat.Mine is one of them.I attribute the boats survival to the fact that I used about 300 feet of anchor line to tie the boat up to about 15 different points on the dock.I mean you could have tripped over it if you werent careful.I tied it to cleats across the walkway,cleats on other docks,it was like a spiderweb with my boat in the middle.the surging wave action caused many boats to pull the pilings and the docks onto the rocks.but as the boat next to mine sank,it kept the dock from going onto the rocks.that boat had sunk from hurricane frances,and was refloated.the owner was going to junk it but never did.no matter its history now.what a comedy of errors.so there was my boat floating,still tied up to an overturned finger,floating amongst the debris.as the main walkway was missing,there was no way to get to the boats that survived except by water.I had a small aluminum rowboat but it was 30 yards inland and crushed like a tin can.Not that it mattered,the area was off limits to everyone until it could be made somewhat safer.This situation brought out the best,and the worst of everyone.I couldnt get anyone to help me at all.I really didnt have much to worry about compared to most others.I told the managers that I wanted to get my boat out of there,and I would be out of their way.as there was no power,no water,I had to effect some repairs by using portable rechargable tools.those things are great.basically I had to retreive my mast which was sticking out of the water,by winching it out with a come-along.then I had a marina employee tow my boat to a surviving pier,where I kept it for a month to do some minimal repairs,and arrainge for a temporary slip.basically I mounted a new outboard to the transom with an ingenious mount that I devised myself,and as promised I was out of there 11/1.this is more than a boat.Its my home,that I am so lucky I did not loose.But with all the huss and fuss about no living aboard I really did in a way become homeless.but not really.Its not as if Im living in the streets.when that marina is rebuilt, I will go back.Man,do I have alot to be thankful for this year
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook