SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Admiral of the year nominee? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/108898-admiral-year-nominee.html)

rbyham 11-27-2013 07:38 AM

Admiral of the year nominee?

Me: Honey,what do you want for Christmas this year?
She: Well how about we combine our gifts and buy one thing special for the boat?
Me: What???? :-)

As we finish up our freshman sailing season I want to nominate my Admiral for some sort of award. As of last March neither of us knew anything about sailing. I have some boating in my background but she had never even been on a boat. Purchasing a 28' sailboat was a huge step-up for both of us but especially her. Not the kind of thing many 60somethings do. But she hung in there through it all. Especially challenging were a couple of "oh cr@p" moments as we learned how to handle the boat. Most of that is in the past now and we both love sailing days even this time of year in Charleston.

But a shared Christmas gift for the boat? Wow I did not see that coming...

In addition, a huge thanks to folks here and new friends in our Charleston marina who have answered so many of our noob questions.

So... Hmmm what should we get? You can be sure I will give her a few options that focus on what she would like and let her pick. Any suggestions from other Admirals here?

justflie 11-27-2013 08:00 AM

Re: Admiral of the year nominee?

Sounds like a winner to me.

jimgo 11-27-2013 08:55 AM

What's your budget and what does the boat need?

One idea is clothing to keep at the boat, like foul weather gear. The good stuff isn't cheap, but it can really be handy. A nice pice of rain gear as the outer shell, and a fleece for under it on the cool days (or by itself on the days when it isn't raining) can be very nice.

Another option would be a "proper" dodger (no offense) or a different bimini so you can get out of the sun when you want.

turban10 11-27-2013 09:09 AM

She is a keeper!

Your idea of focusing on a few things, then letting her pick is good one. That is a great way to get your significant other to not only get involved, but also feel more invested in the boat.

Still, I would buy her a small gift or get her some flowers. Rack up those brownie points to cash in when you really screw up. :D

Faster 11-27-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justflie (Post 1165314)
Sounds like a winner to me.

... and a 'keeper' ;)

Squidd 11-27-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turban10 (Post 1165514)
Still, I would buy her a small gift or get her some flowers. Rack up those brownie points to cash in when you really screw up. :D

+1

The rest of it is just a test anyway...

Yorksailor 11-27-2013 10:58 AM

Sailing lessons would promote her from Admiral to co-captain. Oldest lady I taught to sail was 66 and she was much better than her younger husband.

If I ever referred to my sailing partner as "The Admiral' I would be singing soprano!

Phil

DRFerron 11-27-2013 12:30 PM

Does the gift have to be given at Christmas? I'm not familiar with your area but how about setting aside the money and planning a weekend trip to a big boat show? Hotel room, two days to linger over boat stuff to touch and see, soak up the atmosphere that surrounds boat shows, attend seminars. Sometimes if you go on the last day you can get bargains for the stuff the vendors might not want to schlep back home.

I like the sailing lesson idea, too.

Oh, does she have her own knife? Something she's comfortable using in an emergency and is a good grip for her hands? I've heard good things about and am trying to decide on a Kershaw knife for myself.

Kershaw Knives Gallery | Kershaw Knives

gamayun 11-27-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorksailor (Post 1165922)
Sailing lessons would promote her from Admiral to co-captain.

Phil

Yeah, please start calling her captain whenever she's sailing the boat. That's a gift that will last forever.

It's great you two are enjoying the learning process together. That speaks volumes.

DRFerron 11-27-2013 01:18 PM

While I am not a fan of "admiral" I discovered that there are a lot of women who are perfectly OK with it. The Women and Cruising website seems to embrace it. If the OP's wife doesn't feel it is a problem, that's her choice.