Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: cool cockpit BIMINI pic ideas please

Here is an Islander I looked at a few years ago with a bimini. Nothing really special about it except I liked it had isinglass (sp?) in the top of the bimini with a cover so you could see the rig if you were sailing.

christian.hess likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

thanks gmfl, that doesnt look overly complicated....simple and stowable I see...

straps to tighten it up Im assuming

cheers
Old 11-28-2013

Jaybee63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
thanks yup...found a couple of neat ones but i GUESS im looking for feedback and opinions on install too

if thats possible, jajaja
ps. what is tecsew?
Tecsew is the name of a company I am a director off. I can't post a link, and am not courting for work as we are in the UK.
However we have a very large photo gallery with hundreds of Bimini images and many unique designs.
There is also a video installation video to download from the Faqs section of the Tecsew website.

Hope you find some ideas.
Old 11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee63 View Post
Tecsew is the name of a company I am a director off. I can't post a link, and am not courting for work as we are in the UK.
However we have a very large photo gallery with hundreds of Bimini images and many unique designs.
There is also a video installation video to download from the Faqs section of the Tecsew website.

Hope you find some ideas.
that is very generous of you thanks so much

Ill see what fits the bill so to speak

christian
Old 11-28-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The neatest one I saw was a hardtop that the owner designed and made from fiberglass sheets he purchased at Home Depot. He reinforced the fiberglass by sandwiching plywood sheeting between the sheets of fiberglass. It took him less than a week to construct and I think he said he spent less than $300 for the materials. It looked great and was extremely strong.

Gary
Hmmm, I'm guessing the sails don't see much use on that one...

And, if they ever are, sail trim might often be less than optimum... :-)

Now, there might be a candidate for a 'Telltale App' on his smartphone... :-)
Old 11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Here are some pics of my single support bimini. It connects to the dodger via a zipper and snaps.

Deployed
That's a beautiful dodger, but do you actually do much sailing with the bimini in place?

Not being able to sight over the top of a dodger drives me nuts :-) More and more of the boats I'm running lately are featuring very high profile dodgers, that even at 6' 5", I struggle to see over... These are often mated with a bimini that might be 2-3 inches higher, leaving only a narrow slit to try to sight through after the connecting panel has been removed... No problem at the dock or at anchor, but a real impediment to safe navigation/good sailing, at least for me...
Old 11-28-2013

very good points...im looking for "low profile" with use all the time in moderate to easy sailing conditions...I agree with the above that lately there have been too many houses on top of sailboats especially center cockpits are used....the amound of windage is an issue too...im liking the pic of the islander before more and more now...

stowable and not too obtrusive
Old 11-28-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
You can't see it in the pic, but there is a window in the dodger over the pedestal that allows me to see the sail, and the Windex while the dodgers is deployed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 11-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
You can't see it in the pic, but there is a window in the dodger over the pedestal that allows me to see the sail, and the Windex while the dodgers is deployed.
Yeah, the problem with all of those I've ever seen, however, is that they are always situated so that they are only usable when sitting directly behind the helm... On most boats, that's not generally where I'll be when under sail... More importantly, they still don't solve the problem of trying to sight the jib telltales, on most boats I've run with these configurations, the only way to do so can be to have to move around the wheel to move forward enough, to peer out from underneath the bimini...

Finally, almost guaranteed, if I'm picking up a boat in Florida that's been down there for much more than a year, those little 'windows' will have turned sufficiently opaque from UV degradation, as to be worthless :-)

But again, my main problem is not being able to sight over the top of the dodger when necessary... I just don't see how anyone runs at night, or in thick weather, without the ability to do so... A bimini such as yours is simple to dismantle and stow in such a situation, of course, but I'm seeing more and more enclosures that are essentially permanent, such as the dodger on a Hunter 41 I ran about a year ago that was virtually the same height at the arch and integrated bimini... That boat was a nightmare to run after dark, or when the dodger was wet from rain, spray, or fog - as it was extremely difficult/awkward to obtain a clear view around it... And, if the need arose to use a searchlight from the cockpit, fuggeddabouditt... :-)
Old 11-29-2013

jon I agree with you. however there are different sailors and likes for most any boat and thats the beauty of sailboats in the end I guess...everyone can do what they want having safety factored in

one of my all time favourite positions when sailing is exactly like you mentioned...on either side of the dodger aft of it, with one hand holding the frame and the other on some rigging or stanchion or even the end of the boom when into weather...I would duck and then get back "out" as soon as the wave or wind or whatever made me duck...plus I could always like you say keep a lookout and eye on the jib and wind direction...

thanks guys...well see what I end up fabricating...

I wish there were more islander 36s here...or owners I could speak to...the association is great but you have to pay a substantial membership and maybe Im missiing it but I dont see a forums or message board so to speak where you can talk live if you will

anywhoo

projects projects and more projects

right now its bulkheads, deck gelcoat and we just finished rebedding the toe rails! yay!