Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Happy Birthday To Jesus and Merry Christmas to you all. During this time of all the problems around the world Christmas still brings smiles to faces and the hope for a better day.
Thanks Jesus
Happy Birthday Jake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2004

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road
Happy Birthday Emanual !
Old 12-14-2004

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Jesus wasn''t born in December, he was probably born in April, because Mary and Joseph were going to Bethlehem to pay taxes (the Romans collected taxes in the spring). December 25 represents nothing more than an arbitrary date picked by Emporer Constantine to cooincide with the "pagan" festival of Saturnalia (a plea for the return of the harvest god - hence the decorated evergreen tree in the middle of winter).

Not that this post even belongs on the board!
Old 12-14-2004

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Nothing wroung with enjoying the season. And who cares when the day actually was. Who cares who picked the date. It great to rememeber our gifts by giving to others especially children. For we are his children and his gifts are wonderful and many. He gave us the sea and the talents to build and then sail boats on it. Isn''t that a gift worth acknowledging and sharing each in his own way with others? Pagan or Christian, Jew or Musulem. God bless us all as we remeber our gifts..
Old 12-14-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
The seas were there long before he came along, and many already knew how to sail on them. If you believe in such, even Noah figured it out.

The gifts we have to share may be wonderous and many, but whether "he" provided them or not is debateable.

Nonetheless, this is a wonderful time of year where those more fortunate than others can come together in the spirit of brotherhood and give to those less fortunate. Too bad it isn''t celebrated 365.25 days a year.

Happy sails and holidays to one and all. _/)
Old 12-14-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
Okay. I understand from previous posts that some vocal members consider the topic of Christmas to be in bad taste.

But, (to quote Homey the Clown) let I get this straight. If conversations on this board are any indication of good social etiquette, when your neighbor passes you on the street and says, "Merry Christmas" the proper response is: "This isn''t the birthday of Jesus, and the public sidewalk is no place for such comments. Besides, the earth itself predates Jesus and any gifts given at this time should be attributed only to the spirit of brotherhood." Then, as you walk away from your bewildered neighbor you give a self-satisfied smirk and mutter to yourself, "I wish I could do this every day."

You guys are a hoot.

(Next you''ll be banning nativity scenes from town squares, forbidding the teaching of the Declaration of Independence and sandblasting the Ten Commandments from the walls of the Supreme Court.)

Chas.
Old 12-14-2004

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Chas

I read your post and I get this overwhelming urge to type.

I agree that I would not talk about the symantics of When Jesus was born if a neighbour on the sidewalk said Merry Christmas to me. On the other hand ... if he was driving a bulldozer down that sidewalk while hailing me with a Merry Christmas I would probably suggest the sidewalk was for pedestrians ...

Sorry .. couldn''t resist that one. Meant in fun though.

On the question of whether the date is actually in December or April I would like to add that the cheer of this season sure helps what would otherwise be a very dreary time of year.

Happy Hollidays to All and let''s enjoy thoughts of warmer climes and our boats while sitting all snug and cozy in front of the fire. And to those of you in warmer climes ... ignore the fire but enjoy the sailing for the rest of us!

Mike
Old 12-14-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
Mike,

I understand what you mean about the urge to type. I had been much more content these last few weeks not to read all the Christian-bashing, but I knew that soon someone would write God Bless America or Merry Christmas and once again bring the curmudgeons to their feet. I particularly dislike the comparatively unfriendly and argumentative responses to what I consider to be benign, well-meaning, historically and culturally embraced expressions of good will. In fact, the sentiments of Happy Birthday Jesus and Merry Christmas are remarkably Christmas-card bland; the whipped cream of 2000 years of tradition, like the bumper sticker that reads ''Jesus: the Reason for the Season'' that Lester Varner had plastered on the dashboard of his car in his Ernest Does Christmas movie (or whatever the movie was called). If there was a bulldozer on the sidewalk, it was being driven by the bah-humbuggers. You know, Dickens had a good point in A Christmas Carol.

And, as for the sidewalk, I am a little hesitant to say Merry Christmas to my neighbors because of the bah-humbuggery that sometimes ensues, and also as a protest of the commercialization of the holiday. But, on the other hand, I don''t demean, chastise or argue with anyone who dares to say Merry Christmas.

Beyond that, I have to say that I am so wishing I were in Trinidad right now. I have been going through withdrawal for doubles with tamarind sauce at Queen''s Park Savannah and bake-n-shark at Maracas Bay and the sunset over the lazy sailboats in Castara Bay in Tobago. Palm leaves are the tropical equivalent of pines, and white sand that of snow.

Happy Holidays and Peace on Earth,
Chas.
Old 12-14-2004

I''m an atheist. What if I hijacked the board to spread my belief. Would anyone really tolerate that? Be honest.
Old 12-14-2004

jbanta - what exactly would make you think that a jew, pagan or muslim would acknowlegde that Jesus had anything to do with their "gifts of life" anymore than you would praise Mohammad or Zeus for such things?

This is one of the reasons America so misunderstands the rest of the world.