Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: 76-year-old begins solo circumnavigation

"He's a tough old Kiwi bugger."

Sounds like quite an understatement, to me...

Solo yachtie, 76, badly hurt in fall - National - NZ Herald News

Sounds like he's also struggling to keep the voyage 'Green'...

From his blog:

Power management is a real challenge. I have shut down my refrigerator and everything else that I don’t need.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-07-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hope he will be okay. I've scrubbed 3 hr passages for much less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-08-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

He gives a complete description of the accident:

Interesting Sailboats

http://stanleyparis.blogspot.pt/2014...nd-injury.html

He seems to be alright. Almost a week after the accident he does not mention any pains or limitations:

http://stanleyparis.blogspot.pt/2014...-neck-and.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I broke my ribs once in a climbing accident (high fall). It was hard to take a deeper breath without feeling major pain. It was like that for 2 weeks and I was 19. This is one tough oldtimer.
Is he going west to east in his circumnavigation? He is sailing really close to S.America's coast.
Old 01-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
He gives a complete description of the accident:

Interesting Sailboats

Stanley Paris: Loss of Sail and Injury

He seems to be alright. Almost a week after the accident he does not mention any pains or limitations:

Stanley Paris: After 30 days - Morgan and Paris Neck and Neck
A couple of things don't make sense to me...

I'm presuming the "light air headsail" he's referring to was a Code 0... If it was becoming overpowered in the building conditions, why didn't he simply furl it? On such a boat, he must be flying it from the best continuous line furler (Karver or similar) that money can buy, no?

I can't help but wonder if this could point to an example of an aging sailor being simply 'over-boated', sailing a boat of the size and power that's a bit beyond his ability to physically manage? I'm considerably younger than Stanley, consider myself to be reasonably strong and fit, yet there's no way I would want to sail such a boat offshore alone, much less thru the Southern Ocean...

I'm also surprised at his apparent problems with power generation, and would have thought they'd have that better sorted prior to departure... He's running with a fair amount of solar, TWO Superwind generators, and FOUR Watt & Sea hydrogenerators (although only 2 would likely be usable beyond a certain angle of heel) Still, those things are capable of producing an impressive amount of power, how much power does that feakin' thing REQUIRE to keep sailing? :-)

Quote:

Fitted with a standard 9.5-inch propeller, the reported output of the Watt&Sea unit is impressive. At eight knots of boat speed, the unit can produce 200 watts (approximately 16 amps at 12 volts). With the larger 11-inch propeller, output can reportedly reach as high as 400 watts (33 amps at 12 volts) at eight knots. Larger boats that can maintain higher speeds through the water should be able to do even better.

Electricity from heavy water - Ocean Navigator - January/February 2013

Old 01-08-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
A couple of things don't make sense to me...

I'm presuming the "light air headsail" he's referring to was a Code 0... If it was becoming overpowered in the building conditions, why didn't he simply furl it? On such a boat, he must be flying it from the best continuous line furler (Karver or similar) that money can buy, no?

I can't help but wonder if this could point to an example of an aging sailor being simply 'over-boated', sailing a boat of the size and power that's a bit beyond his ability to physically manage? I'm considerably younger than Stanley, consider myself to be reasonably strong and fit, yet there's no way I would want to sail such a boat offshore alone, much less thru the Southern Ocean.......
Remember that he is not only circumnavigating but racing non stop trying to beat a record.

I have already said that I think that i disprove records that take age in consideration (the younger...the older..). I am not the only one because they are not officially considered records anymore by the ones that control those events.

It is very nice to be a septuagenarian and have the stamina to continue sailing (I am hopping that) but attempt to doing a non stop circumnavigation is madness, one intended to breaking a record makes it even more mad.

Septuagenarians have health problems that are normal and unavoidable: Fragile bones, increased risk of a heart disease or AVC and increased risk on almost everything. They need frequent health care that is hardly available on the middle of the ocean.

I am becoming old, even if not that much and my Doctor raises a lot of concerns regarding being on a boat for several months, some times days away from medical care (I have not any health problem). I have no doubt she would consider Mr Paris insane and would prevent him to leave if she could.

For one time I agree with you regarding the boat, not about the size in itself, since it is a very light boat and can sail with very little sail but in what regards the rig itself that is a powerful one and takes into account that record attempt. The problem for me as more to do with power than with size even if I would find a 50 or 55ft boat more manageable and with enough stability to sail on the high latitudes (if the same type of boat was considered).

regards

Paulo

Old 01-08-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I broke my ribs once in a climbing accident (high fall). It was hard to take a deeper breath without feeling major pain. It was like that for 2 weeks and I was 19. This is one tough oldtimer.
Is he going west to east in his circumnavigation? He is sailing really close to S.America's coast.
i broke 2 rips while skiing just 2 years ago and had at least one rip broken in an age somewhere in the low twens...
while it was a 'mild nuisance' at that the age of twentish, it was a real bugger 20+ years later...
those bloody rips do heal rather quickly, if you are young and they do heal worse to naught with every year you put on them...
i do not want to know how a broken rip feels like when you are 76...
the older you get, the longer rips take to heal and i know from my grandpas, that after a certain age those rips tend to not heal at all anymore...

so either this guy is really tough, or he has not broken any rips...
krisscross likes this.
Old 01-11-2014

Damn, he's calling it quits...

I must say, given the millions spent on that boat, and the quality of a build by Lyman-Morse, I'm surprised at the number of problems he's had to deal with, and the appearance that many things were not better sorted out... Seems yet another powerful argument in favor of simplicity over complexity, to me, even when money is no object...

Quote:

Circumnavigation Abandoned – Heading to Cape Town

The President of the boat designers at Farr Yacht Design, after seeing the photos of the failures and repairs, as well as his recognizing that the design of the rigging attachments to the yacht were inadequate for ocean sailing, emailed me to say:

“I have to say looking through them that I’ve become really concerned. My recommendation is to stop and regroup. I know that isn’t what you want to hear, but I don’t believe that you should continue into the Southern Ocean in this state. I think it would be irresponsible to do it. I think you have too many substantial problems to head into harm’s way. The boom end failure is a substantial one. The jury rigged mainsheet arrangement looks very prone to chafe. That, combined with the jury rigged reefing arrangement, leads me to believe that a substantial failure is possible. If that occurs, you will quickly end up in a loss of mainsail situation. That by itself could quickly lead to a dismasting… I think the widespread failures across so many systems, would have kept a crewed grand prix boat on shore. To have this combination of problems in your injured state is inviting disaster… Please make the prudent decision and stop.”

From Commanders Weather who have been routing me, stated after a comprehensive outline of various strategies:

“I am very sorry, but the safest decision will be to head for Cape Town. And, getting into Cape Town is sometimes not very easy!”

From Cabot Lyman, the owner of Lyman Morse, the builders:

“I am in complete amazement and awe of your accomplishment so far -you have the complete respect of everyone who has any knowledge of this project and the many thousands of miles you have already sailed puts you in the category of the very few. Is it prudent for you to stop in Cape Town. Yes, are we all disappointed – yes – extremely so.

And so I have decided to abandon and head for Cape Town, some 1,700 miles away. To continue in the face of the sage advice above would be foolish in the extreme, and cruel to my wife, family and friends. I must now abandon this dream.

Life is full of disappointments- some big, some small. This is a big one as it involved four years of planning and execution. Made bigger still by the involvement of so many others, designers, builders, family, friends, and through social media, several thousand more, all now disappointed and perhaps relieved that with the mounting difficulties that the only right decision has been made.

I should say I am sorry to disappoint so many. But there is one thing I can say and that is, “I tried,” and that my spirit did not give up until those that I must respect made it clear to me that it was over. My physical condition improves daily and is not part of the decision.

There will be no second attempt. It will be a full year before I could start again and I have asked enough of my wife and family already. The boat will be shipped from Cape Town to Maine, restored with the lessons learned, and be the fast family cruiser for which she was intended.

There will be more blogs. In the meantime, to one and all, thank you for your support. Now, some eight days to Cape Town.

Blog | Dr. Stanley Paris ? Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht
Old 01-11-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

what am I going to be tracking in the next two months...

maybe: GPS Guided Trans-Atlantic Robot Boat

Vector X + Y
Old 01-11-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I wonder how much it has to do with his physical condition as well. That cracked rib, even a bone bruise, would be tortuous, IMO. It seemed a little off that he felt the need to backstop his resignation with the thoughts of the ship designer. Almost seemed to be deflecting the attention.

Lots of respect for the fella, I'm sure I would have gone down sooner, but I suspect it is more than the boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.