Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004

bob_walden is on a distinguished road
SailNet email lists dead?

Hi;

Does anyone know if the SN email lists are still running? I tried to subscribe to the Cal list, but it won''t take any of my posts. When I try to post, it says I''m not subscribed, and when I try to subscribe it says I''m already subscribed. The amusement wears thin.

I don''t see any posts in the cal archives after 12/3/04. Before that it was several a day.

???

bw
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2004

Tree is on a distinguished road

Sailnet email lists seem to be experiencing some difficulties lately. I believe it is due to some server upgrades and changes. I think they may still working out the bugs and a few kinks. Anyway, you might want to go to: http://list.sailnet.net/read/all_forums/?forum=bristol

This should start you on the way to become signed onto the new servers... I hope it helps.
Old 12-15-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

The email lists magically reappeared this morning. Someone must have kicked the new servers to restore them.

But in other news, last night I sent an email to Sam Boyle about the mail list problem to make sure someone was working on it. I got an auto-response from Sam''s mailbox saying that he is no longer with the company. Can there be turmoil in Sailnet land? It does make one wonder what is going on.
Old 12-15-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Mitch, if that auto-response is accurate, it sounds like the normal ebb & flow of small start-ups to me. The Boyles initially founded an E-commerce company, suffered thru the implosion of similar companies while simultaneously finding they paid too much for JSI and couldn''t make it profitable, then retrenched in lower-cost SC and finally sold out (I presume) to a group of investors who want their turn at bat.
Old 12-15-2004

Thanks guys, that did the trick. I guess the lists are moving to a new server at <A href=''http://list.sailnet.net''>list.sailnet.net</A> (note the .net). I''t''s a pretty nice new web interface, lets you subscribe and unsubscribe real easily. Only problem is, the acknowledgement email you get after joining a list does not tell you the email address to send messages to the list. It turns out to be "listname@list.sailnet.net".

Thanks again,

bw
Old 12-15-2004

Oops--the URL for the list server is actually <A href=''http://list.sailnet.net/read/all_forums''>http://list.sailnet.net/read/all_forums</A>.

This is all undocumented so far--likely the operators will make it clearer soon.

ciao,
bob walden
Cal 27 #273
Old 12-15-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

Catalina 38 list back up and seems to be working OK.
Old 12-16-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

Jack,

You could be right about the Boyle''s selling out to someone else. Time will tell. Obviously Sailnet has not had the income needed to support all the free online content and services-- one example being the recent effort to sell t-shirts to members of the various email lists to show support for the lists. Many of us on the Pearson list ordered the t-shirts, but they are still on back order (and we have NOT been charged, so no loss there.) I did not find it comforting that the future of the email lists seemed to hinge on profits from selling t-shirts either.

One can refer back to a recent string of posts here about supporting the freebies from Sailnet by buying goods from them. I found that exchange to be interesting because it showed how much the internet has created the desire for something FREE in so many users. Personnally, I think it''s too bad that so many people don''t connect the dots with something like Sailnet (which benefits so many of us for free) that purchases from the company ensure the continuation of the free content/services. I buy as much as I can from Sailnet, but only when they have the best price. (I also have had very mixed results on the customer service side.) It''s so easy to price shop today and there''s lots of competition out there. It will be interesting to find out what the story is with Sam leaving the company though.