SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Video: Man survives 2 days in wreck 100' deep

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  DJR351 
#1 ·
Reactions: SOVT
#2 ·
This is an amazing story.. worth a look!

#3 ·
Wow!

I couldn't imagine being in the darkness for that long, not expecting any salvation.

Incredible!

#5 ·
Diver:
"Sh1+, Sh1+"

Dive Master:
"What's that? Oh bugger all.. OK. You found one, ya?"

Diver:
"He's touching me"

Dive Master:
"He's ALIVE! He's ALIVE!"

I'd have soiled my wetsuit...

#6 ·
I saw this on the news . Never give up? How blessed is this man! I can not think how long just a half hour in the cold darkness must have been like years. WOW I pray he will be ok I sure it is not over.
My heart goes out to his mates left behind.
kind Regards, Lou

#10 ·
Let me tell you how I can relate to this; When I was working at a Boy Scout camp in up-state NY, as water front staff we had a lost swimmer alert. I was assigned to search under the docks. and after more then 10 min. and the 3rd or forth section I saw a very white leg and knew I found what had to be the swimmer dead. When I went to grab him to pull him out he jerked back, ...my heart stopped, my brain couldn't process that he was still alive, but he had stuck his head in between the floats of the dock where he could breath. He ended up being fine it took me a day or so to shake it off.

What I can't imagine is the cooks thoughts about how long his air was going to hold out and if he should have tried to save himself before it did run out.

#11 ·
What I can't imagine is the cooks thoughts about how long his air was going to hold out and if he should have tried to save himself before it did run out.
Read/heard that he had thought he'd been there 12 hours or so rather than the 60 actual... I guess with no light, no way to track day to night, no reference to time it would be hard to know... You'd think your stomach would tell you it's been a while, but maybe he had some access to food...

#12 ·
Wonder what the water temp was at 100 feet down. It's an amazing story to survive in the pocket of air, but I would think that hypothermia would do one in after 60 hours even in relatively warm water. Quite a story that guy will have to tell the grandkids some day.

#17 ·
It's the other way 'round, he grabbed the diver - imagine what the diver felt when the supposed "corpse" grabbed him! :eek:

#18 ·
I've got the full 50min clip of the rescue, but at 1.29 GB it's way to big to load, hell of a thing to watch....

The divers did a fantastic job of getting the poor bloke out of there, but the guy up top giving instructions is in a league of his own, if I ever found myself in that position whether as a diver or been rescued, I would want him up there controlling things, very professional outfit.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.