Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: Heading south

Spending New Years on your boat - priceless!

Best wishes to you for the new year.

Safe travels.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Just a coulpe from the last two days

downeast450, jimgo and Magnolia like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 12-31-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Happy New Year, Michael, great photos, and I hope you make it all the way to your destination without any more nasty weather.

Keep in touch,

Gary
Old 01-01-2014
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Happy New Year Michael! Love reading your posts, looking forward to you getting to the warmer bits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 01-01-2014
Owned by Velcro

We passed mile marker 200 and at the same time saw our first dolphins on the trip. We raced down the river with a following current to the turning basin in Beaufort, then, going up hill from there for about 3 hours we "raced" piles and were only just beating them. Never the less, we managed to cover 42 miles today. I was pooped and losing concentration as fast as the daylight went. So yours truly went aground for the first time in years about 5 minutes from wher I wanted to drop the hook. I managed to turn Tiki around facing the current, but was not able to drive her straight of the sand bar that I hit. It was on a rising tide and I could have just waited it out with the engine pointing the boat to deeper water. But what the heck, I have my own support vessel with me and Tessi has no need for water under her belly. So Linda came alongside, we tied the boats together and drove into deeper water, turned the corner and dropped the hook for the night.

ATB

Michael

ps. pooped
downeast450 and jimgo like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 01-01-2014

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

Guessing Swansboro. The bottom there changes all the time so no worries. The long stretches between inlets on the ICW can give you a great ride or a tough day. Most of SC and GA are to cut up to even attempt to hit the current all day. Catch the beginning of a flood tide at Little River and ride it all the way to the Waccamaw. Several streaches in Fla work the same way. Keep the pics coming. Enjoy.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 01-01-2014
Owned by Velcro

Yup we dropped the hook in swonsboro and thank you for that comment as it makes me feel a little less inept

Old 01-01-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Michael, everyone runs aground there - everyone!

Gary
Old 01-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the pics and the story. I'm enjoying living vicariously through you. Every time I get an E-mail update from the site, my wife asks me what I'm reading because I have a stupid grin on my face.
utchuckd likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2014
Owned by Velcro

Well its raining today and the forecast says that it is not going to stop for most of the day, so we decided to stay put for today and I'll get some maintenance done, instead of standing in the back of the boat, getting wet. Have to change the fuel filters on Tessie. Did the ones on Tiki yesterday before hitting the sack. Change the oil in the genny , tidy up some line ends and this evening I'll make some spaghetti bolognese, as I was to pooped yesterday to do much in the way of cooking dinner as planned. In the guide book it said to use two anchors here because of the current. We decided to use two boats on one anchor instead ad it works out just fine. Did not move and inch since we dropped the hook last night. All is well on board and all souls are happy and well fed. Not much in the way of traffic either here in the ditch, just a few barges at night and the odd floating duck blind driving past.

ATB

Michael