Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Heading south

This cold weather , the so called polar vortex event was caused by the winter storm " Hercules" and the aftermath of that big counterclockwise storm movement. That and the jet stream diving south. You can say its climate instability.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 01-09-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

Well the ice is off the deck and we made it just past Southport. Going into a marina for the first time of the trip tomorrow to do some laundry and fill the water and fuel tanks. I forgot what its like to be tied up to a dock at night. May not get much sleep but a extra ration of rum may just do the trick on that front.

ATB

Michael
DRFerron and downeast450 like this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 01-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Well the ice is off the deck and we made it just past Southport. Going into a marina for the first time of the trip tomorrow to do some laundry and fill the water and fuel tanks. I forgot what its like to be tied up to a dock at night. May not get much sleep but a extra ration of rum may just do the trick on that front.

ATB

Michael
I feel for you. I was out just checking on my boat and the cold 40 degree wind, felt like it was going cut me in half. Keep coming south.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-09-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Michale, snuggle up with that good looking gal and have a class or two of rum while thinking about this old man in the frozen north.

Gary
Old 01-09-2014
Owned by Velcro

I'll snuggle up alright. It is what keeps me going through the cold days.
Heck now we have a long weekend with no place where we need to go, have the kids with us for a visit, so life is good.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 01-16-2014
Owned by Velcro

Well we made it into SC yesterday after remodeling a heap of oyster shells that was left in the marked channel at one of the inlets we passed. Tiki ingested a bunch of those shells and it shredded the impeller. Yes I do have a strainer in the raw water line, but that was a bit much even for that gadget. I had a spare impeller still boxed in the spare parts locker, but when I took it out it did not match them one installed. I did give it a test run but it did not pump enough water to cool the engine reliably. So now we are at anchor and are having an impeller sent to a marina close to here and I'll pick it up via dink once it gets there.
Moral of this story is:
When buying bits and spares, have a look in the box before you put them away, to make sure that they are the right ones.
A forced day off but in a nice place all the same.

Take care

Michael

Old 01-16-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it was only the impeller. Best wishes for getting underway soon!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014
Owned by Velcro

Got a call and the impeller should arrive in Cricket cove marina today, so when it gets there, I'll dink over the two miles to get it and we should be under way tomorrow.

ATB

Michael

Old 01-17-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Got a call and the impeller should arrive in Cricket cove marina today, so when it gets there, I'll dink over the two miles to get it and we should be under way tomorrow.

ATB

Michael
Well, if that doesn't work out, keep in mind there's a West Marine across Hwy 17 from Dock Holiday's, about another mile beyond Cricket Cove...

Too bad you had to run that stretch between Southport and Little River inside, that's one my least favorite bits of the entire Ditch, whereas that run outside can often afford some beautiful sailing... Did it back in November behind the passage of a very strong front, a kick-ass sail along the beach in flat water, just a fantastic day...
Old 01-17-2014
Owned by Velcro

Thank you for the heads up Jon.

I just dinked the 2 some miles to the Criket creek marina and picked up the impellers. Put one in and Tiki is peeing like a race horse. Going on in the morning.

ATB

Michael