Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Heading south

Michael,

Watching the weather radar. S*** happens! You guys are having a Maine adventure in SC! Take lots of pictures. Hoping the rum holds out. Stay warm!

Down
Old 01-29-2014
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

We did not make it through the Ben Sawyer bridge yesterday, so went back 2 miles just with Tessie to get some bread and milk ........only kidding, we just exchanged a couple of propane boot a bottle of wine. Still in the creek at anchor half a mile of the bridge and waiting for this stuff to blow over. Everything is covered in ice this morning and we are having the day off. I don't think they will open the bridge today anyway as it must be up a few tons in weight with the icing all over it. French toast and bacon are in the pan and the heater is on, so we are good. I'll post some pics when we have a decent interweb connection.

Take care folks

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

I hope you guys have some decent heat on the boats. These are going to be very cold days and nights before it warms up on Friday.
Old 01-29-2014
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

You sound comfy!
Old 01-29-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Michael, they won't open many of the bridges if the wind exceeds 20 MPH.

Stay safe my friend,

Gary
Old 01-30-2014
Owned by Velcro

Still stuck in the creek just off the Ben sawyer bridge and waiting for the temps to get above freezing. I have some rather large icicles on the spreaders, radar, and other gear waiting to drop down. The fold up mast steps are covered in ice, so I can't get up there to knock them off and don't feel to good in the cockpit once they start to come down. So we decided to wait another day here in the creek until they come down by themselves. The bridge is frozen shut anyway and we have nowhere to go right now.
Other then that, things are fine. The anchor is holding, even though the current in the creek is strong enough to have the odd crab trap passing by and once in a while there is a thump at night from a larger then normal wave. When we get a slap like that at night, all the cats tend to move into bed with us till they feel safe again. I managed to get the companion way in Tiki open today and switch the heater on in her, to stop the water lines from freezing. We run the engine on Tessie now and then to keep it from getting to cold as well. That little Honda generator is amazing. I left it hanging on the rail a couple of nights ago and it was caked in ice. I had to chip it off where the controlls are and it started on the second pull. That little thing has been running 14 hours every day for near 2 month now without a hiccup, with just and oil change here and there and I cleaned the spark plug and gapped it once in that time. Its the first thing I crank up in the morning and the last thing I turn off at night. The main cover and jib are coated in ice and so are the lines, so any knot that needs to be undone will have to have a bit oof a knocking with a hammer first and the deck is a bit slippery.
By the way, The shoals north of the Ben Sawyer bridge are still bad and we saw a tug and barge stuck yesterday till the tide came back in.
This morning I was watching dolphins swimming in the creek while having my coffee.

ATB

Michael
jimgo likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 01-30-2014

I know a half-dozen folks with the Honda 2000i Generator and they all claim it's so quiet you can hold a conversation at normal levels with it sitting in the cockpit with you or hanging on the rail and no one is bothered. I'm going to order one for the Morgan so I can run the air condition while at anchor in the middle of summer. Most nights you don't need air, but there have been a few where it would have made sleeping a lot more comfortable. It will come in handy also in 2015 when I head back down the ICW, especially if it's as cold as it was last fall. I encountered temperatures in the low 40 many nights and had to bury myself in a down sleeping bag to stay warm. Fortunately, I had the full enclosure made for the trip home in March and it made the cockpit like sailing in a greenhouse. 42 degrees outside, and 75 inside - I love it!

Michael, you should get some better weather by tomorrow, at least that's what NOAA said - but I don't put a lot of stock in NOAAs forecasts.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-30-2014
Owned by Velcro

I just downloaded my daily GRIB file and it looks better for tomorrow. Right now its in the low 20's with a 15 to 20 knot wind blowing. Those icicles up there may evaporate before they melt and thats just fine by me. I found some styrofoam in the bilge, so I can sit on that if we get going tomorrow without freezing the wedding tackle off.

Old 01-30-2014

If I didn't need my deer hunting coverall outfit this winter, I would have donated it to you for the trip. That suit is good for temperatures down to -10 f. I was out blowing snow from the driveway in it and it was actually too hot inside. However, with just regular winter clothing on, I was damned near freezing to death after just 20 minutes clearing snow.

Gary
Old 01-30-2014
Owned by Velcro

I am wearing my hunting winter gear, as you can see in one of the pics Gary. Its not cold enough yet to break out my North sea sailing wear, so that is still in the locker.