Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Heading south

Ill post some pictures when I get a proper wireless connection as I am using the phone right now and it is SLOW. It look like we have a small weather window to get across the potomac entry and find a place in shore farther down the coast.
I'll give you an update as to how it went this evening after we have the hook down. Going to be a cold and wet ride for me as I don't have the comfort of an inside helm like Linda has on the houseboat. Velcro is on the house boat, so he has company and will be warm ish.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Ferret,

Thanks for sharing the trip. Wish we were headed down, too. Be safe!

Down
Old 12-09-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Michael, there are lots of creeks and rivers along the bay's western shore south of the Potomac River's mouth, but the charts are not very accurate and have not been updated since the 1950s. Watch your depth finder when entering any of the creeks. I ended up hard aground right in the middle a channel that was marked as 16 feet deep. Fortunately, my Boat U.S. insurance took care of the problem and the guy that towed me off showed me the bad spots, which was most of the creek.

Please be very careful old friend and have a safe trip south,

Gary
Old 12-09-2013
Owned by Velcro

Chill out Gary, I am used to Navigating skinny waters from back home in the southern north sea. I even managed to sneak into the bay between the sticky out fish traps today, using not much more then radar, depth finder and the seat of my pants as the chart was not all that accurate for that area.
Well we made it across the Potomac river entry and are anchored in a place called cockle creek near( Reedville ). Winds started of at 8 knots when we left our anchorage and then picked up to around 15 straight on the nose with rain and sleet showers for a bit of entertainment. At one point the deck got a bit slippery and I could not see much with the sleet getting into my eyes whenever I looked over the cabin top, so back to fly by instruments it was for a while. Just behind where we are anchored now, some folks are unloading their catch of oysters, shoveling them with a conveyor into a semi truck. Worst thing is that we are out of rum and I will have to dink over into the village if there is one to get some. Cant drive a boat in this weather without the odd sip of rum ya know.

ATB

Michael
LesleyS likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 12-09-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

While in Cockrell's creek, tie up next to the Crazy Crab and have a nice dinner.
Old 12-09-2013
Owned by Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
While in Cockrell's creek, tie up next to the Crazy Crab and have a nice dinner.
Is that the white " shack " that has Seafood Deli and crabs printed on its side ??? If so, we are on the hook about 50 yards from there

Old 12-09-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Nice place to anchor, Michael. I was there this past summer, and have a friend that lives not far from the creek. One thing for certain, no mosquitoes and black flies to be bothered with this time of year.

Give my best to Linda,

Gary
Old 12-09-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Is that the white " shack " that has Seafood Deli and crabs printed on its side ??? If so, we are on the hook about 50 yards from there
On the very point of Reedville where Rt. 360 ends, there's a fuel dock. I think the building you are talking about is on the other side of the point from the restaurant. Right next to the restaurant is a dock with 10-12 uncovered slips. I think the restaurant has a reddish roof.

Last edited by chuck53; 12-09-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2013

Smier is on a distinguished road

Safe travels, some interesting weather around here the past few days...
Old 12-10-2013
Owned by Velcro

No rum to be had here, so tomorrow we are going further down the bay to a plave in fishing bay or near it and try out luck there.

ATB

Michael

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.