Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Me, My Boat, and Eleven - What’s Going On?

For your amusement and comment (post or private mail).

The boat is a Catalina 320, ordered late spring 1999, and after a hurricane delay in delivery from California, the boat became mine in the dealer’s muddy, flooded out office at 411 Main Street at a temporary desk on September 11, 1999. I have enjoyed the boat, have had no serious problems, and am happy with it. The boat hull length is 32.5 ft., and most builders would have called it a 33. Beam is 11’-9”. Displacement is 11,700 lbs. Control lines, 11 of them, are led aft to the cockpit. The boat is one of a few that had “deep” wing keels, and has a draft of 4’-10.5”, which if correct, would be a draft of 4’-11” to nearest inch. There are 11 opening ports or hatches into living areas. And there are 11 major components to the standing rigging (stays, shrouds, mast). This boat replaced a 1977 Kells 28, which I owned for 22 years. So?

Over the years, a strange association with “11” has developed. I don’t look for it. It locates me. Eleven or multiples of 11 or digits totaling to 11 seem nearly everywhere.

My house number happens to be 511. And the house before that, 211. And the river condo is 110. My first job was paperboy at 11, delivering on 11th Street. My work career lasted 33 years., followed by early retirement at 56. Driving to work was on Hwy 11. Of investment properties, acquired along the way, about 60 percent had 11 in the address or were bought in years having multiples of 11. Just so you know, one buys investment properties when and where suitable properties are available, not for a certain address number. Even my social security number has 11’s. And my birthday, and my wife and son’s birthdays. My phone number. And names of ships that I was on in the Navy. And many, many more; most of which were things that I had no control over.

I enjoy fishing and have a Pursuit 1950 with a Yamaha 115 for that. I’ve always liked being near the ocean and a few years ago, my wife and I began a serious cottage search, with a very definite set of criteria…location, proximity to water, size, age, cost, condition, and a natural setting. In 2011, we found it. Just one, no alternates. A 22 year old cottage. The house number: 611….honest, we didn’t get it for the number. The fishing boat was to be stored in a storage yard near the marina ramp. At first, the yard was full, but a single space came open and I took it. The number: 111.

So there you have it…me, my boat(s) and eleven. It is a little strange, isn’t it? In numerology, 11 is a big deal, but frankly, I don't understand or follow numerology.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Me, My Boat, and Eleven - What’s Going On?

Well, if you go to Las Vegas you know what number to play with keno and roulette and double down on 11 is mandatory unless the dealer has a picture card or 10, lol....

Plus, I found this with Google:

The Master Number 11 | Numerology.com
Old 12-10-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Obviously a direct sign that the Mayan calendar is still functioning as it used to. It will soon be all over.
Old 12-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

What's your sail number?? Hull number??

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-10-2013
At my Helms 27

drsutton is on a distinguished road

Ihere's nothing to understand about numerology. It'ssimply straightforward superstition.
Bill
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What's your sail number?? Hull number??
As you know, the hull number is a mix of letters and numbers. So how to relate letters to numbers? On the standard phone handset, there are letters shown on each number key. For example, 2 = ABC. When letters in the hull number are converted to numbers and numbers are summed we get:

55 or a multiple of 11 for hull number

Applying the same to the boat's name, we get 44, again a multiple of 11

The sail number is three digits and doesn't add to 11 or a multiple of 11. However, the sail number relates to a particular boat model (and hull number).

So, using the technique above to Catalina 320 and the sail number, the sum comes to 55, or a multiple of 11.

Last edited by NCC320; 12-10-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have a severe case of eleventies. It is supposed to be rather auspicious. Just celebrate your boat on the 11th of every month and especially so in November. Songs such as 'Eleven bottles of beer on board' would be most appropriate.
Old 12-10-2013
Bareboat charterer

Ded reckoner is on a distinguished road

There is a high probability of a grouping of unlikely random occurrences but a low probability of a grouping of unlikely particular occurrences. So, in your case, you will not be able to accurately predict when the next sailing-related 11 will occur, but, if you wait long enough and are observant enough, you will be able to add to your tale. Unfortunately, this means that you will not be able to use the number 11 to any advantage in Vegas.
Old 12-10-2013
At my Helms 27

drsutton is on a distinguished road

I never fail to be amazed and amused how people's beliefs trump science. Or, give someone enough correlations and an apparent cause will emerge.
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Looks like you have a severe case of eleventies
I think you may be right....it doesn't hurt though. In fact, it usually relates to good things. Actually, it's kind of nice. Weird, but nice.