Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: insurance/survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
......you will never convince me there is any such thing as a good. honest, depenable insurance company.
I'm not going to try to convince you, but I can tell you've never insured anything with Chubb. They're built on the reputation that they pay claims and take care of everything. Their premiums can be 50% or more higher than anyone else, but you get no hassles, no cost cutting.

When you save 15% in 15 minutes, you simply get what you pay for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not going to try to convince you, but I can tell you've never insured anything with Chubb. They're built on the reputation that they pay claims and take care of everything. Their premiums can be 50% or more higher than anyone else, but you get no hassles, no cost cutting.

When you save 15% in 15 minutes, you simply get what you pay for.
can't say as i have ever even heard of Chubb. not trying to spend more than i need but i will look them up

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

shananchie is on a distinguished road

Try Progressive. They're solid, reasonably priced and don't require a survey.
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
Try Progressive. They're solid, reasonably priced and don't require a survey.
i am with them for my motorcycle. i tried them first. they do require a survey on a boat as old as mine. they are great for motorcycle insurance. but they were noticably higher than everyone else for boat insurance.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-20-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

shananchie is on a distinguished road

Funny. In Florida, where I live, Progressive is by far the cheapest. They insured my 1974 Bristol survey without a survey and previously did the same on a 1974 C&C 25.
Old 02-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananchie View Post
Funny. In Florida, where I live, Progressive is by far the cheapest. They insured my 1974 Bristol survey without a survey and previously did the same on a 1974 C&C 25.
believe me, i was surprised. i actually got two quotes from them, one a few weeks after the other, to make sure an error had not been made. i figured, cheap on bikes would mean cheap on boats. i didn't turn out that way.

1971 Cal 27

Old 02-20-2014

tsell is on a distinguished road

Captain Jack, I would suggest that you go back and re- read the posts before you continue your rant about how everyone is against you. We all support the dream and want everyone to be able to experience the joy sailing brings. However, in one of your posts you stated that you could not afford 300 dollars right now. That raises a red flag for the viability of your plan. A boat costs lots of money. First you buy what you think you need, then triple that when you dig into the repairs.
I bought a boat for 13 dollars, one year later my total expenditure was 7000 without a survey.My insurance was liability only for $100/ year. The other costs were required repairs and fees to the marina.
If you want to sail cheaply, buy a trailer sailor, no marina fees necessary, and have fun. And please insure it in case you run into me.
Old 02-20-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

C-jack, not sure Cubb has marine coverage, but they might. I was simply reacting to your statement that none of them pay and they're all crooks.

Let's face it, insurance is a game of statistics. Generally, the same stats apply to every insurance company. So, how do you expect the cheapest premium to make money? They either have to reduced the things they cover, or reduce payment on claims.

When you find a lower premium, there is nothing for nothing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Formost isn't actually the cheapest I found am fam was cheaper but formost is backed by loyds iirc am fam is self insuerd

Old 02-20-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I also find the endless rants against insurance very tiring. I've heard them from many people on this message board, so I am not targeting any one person.

The fact is this: You either purchase insurance, or you are self-insured. If you can't afford the former, then you certainly cannot afford the latter.

But these are the only two choices. Everything you do involves liability, and if you damage someone else's property (or the environment), you will be held accountable. These poor-man stories about how you won't pay a few hundred for a survey and/or a few hundred for a liability policy send a pretty strong signal that if you or your vessel cause some costly damage, you are likely to "cut and run" rather than live up to your obligations. That's why responsible boaters develop a distrust toward the anti-insurance attitude.

Now don't get all snippy about how these "arrogant rich people don't want me to have a boat." Because that's not what this is about at all. Your survey and insurance are going to be a tiny fraction of the money you put into your boat. If you've chosen to buy unnecessary niceties like a boomkicker instead, then your priorities are out of whack.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)