Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: insurance/survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
What is the stated value of the boat?

My State Farm rep told me that they require a survey on boats with a replacement value of over $20k. I insured a Catalina 25 with a stated replacement value of $8k with no survey. My Pearson is insured for more and I did need to get a survey.

Different agents and different regions may of course vary. I'm in Seattle.
well, that i don't know. i have seen them go for 3000 and i have seen them go for 6500. te reason they gave me was the age. the underwriter won't cover a boat that old without a survey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Ask the insurance broker if he will give you "Port Risk" liability coverage until you get her fixed up and then get the survey.

I can't see anyone giving you coverage on a $300.00 boat for general liability. A $300 boat is a screaming red flag and the risk is just not worth it against what it costs to remove a potential sinker or fire risk (their point of view).
Old 12-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Ask the insurance broker if he will give you "Port Risk" liability coverage until you get her fixed up and then get the survey.

I can't see anyone giving you coverage on a $300.00 boat for general liability. A $300 boat is a screaming red flag and the risk is just not worth it against what it costs to remove a potential sinker or fire risk (their point of view).
ok. sounds like you know something about insurance. is a 'port risk' liability policy a common thing?

the boat wasn't a wreck, just abandoned. she's not taking on water or anything. i explain how i got it at that price, when they ask what i paid for it. but i guess i see your point. it's the age that makes them want the survey.
Old 12-10-2013

ozsailer is on a distinguished road

Hi Captain Jack,
Here in Oz if the boat is over 15 years old most insurance companies now require a survey every 2 to 5 years and also when a person buys a boat. There a lot more people getting 3rd party insurance as they believe their boats are not worth insuring. One thing to consider is not so much what your boat is worth but what occurs if your boat is responsible for an event which damages one or several other boats, many today are very very expensive. Not having a go but what is going to cost more, Insuring the boat and get the survey and have no worries if something goes wrong or having a life long debt if it all turns bad. Only recently there was a large fire at a local marina, Four boats totally destroyed. Estimated value 3 to 4 million. Hope the guy who boat was the cause of the fire is insured. Here in Oz some insurance companies are now refusing to insure boats on moorings yet there is a huge lack of marina's to put a boat, catch 22

Greg and Sue
Old 12-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I genuinely hope you can avoid a survey. Ir sounds like some here have given you reason to believe that for an inexpensive boat and/or liability only coverage, you might be able to avoid it. That's good news.

But if it's unavoidable and you need to "bite the bullet" and get a survey, you should let go of this idea that survey cost has anything to do with what you paid for the boat. It can be argued that the older/cheaper a boat is, the more difficult it will be to survey, and hence the more it will cost...and the more it is needed. You should realize that by getting a boat for very little money, you're going to pay less in up-front cost, but also may pay more for other things later. Not everything is going to be reduced in proportion to your original purchase price. So be glad whenever you can trim costs, but realize that some things will not be avoidable.

Make sure any potential surveyors know that this is an insurance survey, and not a pre-purchase survey. The latter usually costs more.

I used State Farm (my auto and home carrier) for my boat for my first year. After that first year I realized a couple of severe deficiencies in their policy. A couple of the deficiencies limited their potential replacement payout (which is irrelevant for a liability-only policy). But they also did not cover liability for environmental damage, which can be a huge bill. I switched to BoatUS, which covers over $800,000 in environmental damage. You need to consider that, especially if you are doing a DIY repower with diesel. My annual premium for my 25' boat is about $150, with full coverage but $1000 deductible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-11-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

I'm with foremost for liability they didn't want survey just good pictures from all 4 sides showing that the boat wasn't derelict. Foremost insurance group fredrick MD 866 592 3770 mine cost a c note a year for 300k liability. (Mines older than yours 68 islander)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
captain jack (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Contact the guy you bought the boat from get his agent who previously insured the boat bam your done, go sailing Life is so easy
Old 12-11-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I was told today that possibly progressive does not require a survey for Liability. worth looking into.
Old 12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Captain Jack,
Here in Oz if the boat is over 15 years old most insurance companies now require a survey every 2 to 5 years and also when a person buys a boat. There a lot more people getting 3rd party insurance as they believe their boats are not worth insuring. One thing to consider is not so much what your boat is worth but what occurs if your boat is responsible for an event which damages one or several other boats, many today are very very expensive. Not having a go but what is going to cost more, Insuring the boat and get the survey and have no worries if something goes wrong or having a life long debt if it all turns bad. Only recently there was a large fire at a local marina, Four boats totally destroyed. Estimated value 3 to 4 million. Hope the guy who boat was the cause of the fire is insured. Here in Oz some insurance companies are now refusing to insure boats on moorings yet there is a huge lack of marina's to put a boat, catch 22

Greg and Sue
there's no question about getting insurance, or not. i have to. it's a matter of how....due to the survey requirement. at least here i don't need to get it every few years. yikes!
Old 12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I genuinely hope you can avoid a survey. Ir sounds like some here have given you reason to believe that for an inexpensive boat and/or liability only coverage, you might be able to avoid it. That's good news.

But if it's unavoidable and you need to "bite the bullet" and get a survey, you should let go of this idea that survey cost has anything to do with what you paid for the boat. It can be argued that the older/cheaper a boat is, the more difficult it will be to survey, and hence the more it will cost...and the more it is needed. You should realize that by getting a boat for very little money, you're going to pay less in up-front cost, but also may pay more for other things later. Not everything is going to be reduced in proportion to your original purchase price. So be glad whenever you can trim costs, but realize that some things will not be avoidable.

Make sure any potential surveyors know that this is an insurance survey, and not a pre-purchase survey. The latter usually costs more.
thanks sir. that's good to know. this is all new to me. every piece of info i get is a nugget of gold. this fits right in with the future of sailing thread. it's not learning to sail that is hard. it's jumping through the hoops of boat ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I used State Farm (my auto and home carrier) for my boat for my first year. After that first year I realized a couple of severe deficiencies in their policy. A couple of the deficiencies limited their potential replacement payout (which is irrelevant for a liability-only policy). But they also did not cover liability for environmental damage, which can be a huge bill. I switched to BoatUS, which covers over $800,000 in environmental damage. You need to consider that, especially if you are doing a DIY repower with diesel. My annual premium for my 25' boat is about $150, with full coverage but $1000 deductible.
boats US was my first quote. then i learned tey needed a survey. if i have to get a survey, then they are back in the running.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.