Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: insurance/survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'm with foremost for liability they didn't want survey just good pictures from all 4 sides showing that the boat wasn't derelict. Foremost insurance group fredrick MD 866 592 3770 mine cost a c note a year for 300k liability. (Mines older than yours 68 islander)
no kidding. you even have the local number for me. wow. thanks. i will call them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
I was told today that possibly progressive does not require a survey for Liability. worth looking into.
cute kitty. looks like one of my girlfriend's cats.

i am with progressive for my bike and truck. they were my first call. you are right. they didn't want a survey but for what they wanted for the policy, i could have afforded the survey and still saved money with state farm. pay now or pay later. well, actually, since they only let you divide boat payments in to two or three payments, it would be pay now or pay now and later. lol.
Old 12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Contact the guy you bought the boat from get his agent who previously insured the boat bam your done, go sailing Life is so easy
if only it was that easy. the PO abandoned the boat at the marina. i bought it off of the lean dock.
Old 12-11-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
ok. sounds like you know something about insurance. is a 'port risk' liability policy a common thing?

the boat wasn't a wreck, just abandoned. she's not taking on water or anything. i explain how i got it at that price, when they ask what i paid for it. but i guess i see your point. it's the age that makes them want the survey.
I am a surveyor and have often dealt with people in re-fit mode. Some insurers will give "Port risk" policies for vessels being re-fitted. Some will insure the boat in-water with the proviso that it not leave the dock until they have a good survey and some will only insure it while it is on the hard.
davidpm likes this.
Old 12-11-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

A couple emails to our insurance agent got our boat added as a rider to our homeowner's policy for an additional $66/year add to our premium. All they required was some basic info on the boat and the hull id. It gives us the same liability protection as under our homeowner's policy and insures damage or loss of the boat, but honestly I did not spend too much time looking at the latter coverage. The purchase price of our boat was ~$6,500.
Old 12-11-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Jack;
I'm with Progressive, too. I found the costs considerably less than any other outfit I tried...AND no survey. I also have comprehensive; so it's not a matter of liability only.

YMMV
Old 12-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Deltaten, I'm with Progressive and they were/are very reasonable, even with me have a "totaled" boat on my record (Hurricane Sandy). My first boat, a Catalina 25, was purchased for $1000. We insured it for $4000, and it was worth closer to $6000-8000. The insurance company never asked for a survey. I suspect that if you're going with a liability-only, or liability plus a very small value, the insurance won't be bad at all. I'd call the broker back or call Progressive directly.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

One last thing to ask the insurer. Ask who underwrites the boat policy I found several contract with formost for the marine specific policy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
i have nothing personal against a survey, although i'd rather get it after i repair the known issues. it's a financial thing. in other words, i can't swing the extra $300 right now.
Am I the only one who wonders why such a fellow even contemplates owning a free boat??

davidpm likes this.
Old 12-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I am a surveyor and have often dealt with people in re-fit mode. Some insurers will give "Port risk" policies for vessels being re-fitted. Some will insure the boat in-water with the proviso that it not leave the dock until they have a good survey and some will only insure it while it is on the hard.
i knew you sounded like someone in the know. thank you. if the insurer recommended in the previous post doesn't turn out, i will start asking around about that. it would give me time to finish my planned work and save for a survey, if i have to get one. who knows...when the time comes and i am finished, depending on my money situation, i might opt for an actual survey to make sure i didn't miss anything. two eyes are better than one. lol. that's true, since you don't see cyclops running around frequently, however, perhaps i should have said four eyes are better than two.