Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: US Citizens urged to support FCC RM-11708

Dave- I added a comment in support of your opinion. It took a second. Your argument is quite compelling.
Old 06-19-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Dave:
Like many others I can not support this technology unless and until SCS is required to license their technology at a reasonable rate and Pactor 4 modems become $30 like every other modem in the world. I have already had to drop $1200 for their Pactor 3 modem, I have no desire to do it again.
Sorry.
Roger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Like many others I can not support this technology unless and until SCS is required to license their technology at a reasonable rate and Pactor 4 modems become $30 like every other modem in the world. I have already had to drop $1200 for their Pactor 3 modem, I have no desire to do it again.
No need to apologize Roger. You are entitled to your opinion.

Here is mine.

Phone modems are cheap because the market is huge and economies of scale kick in.

SCS took a risk and their investors covered a lot of costs for a long time to develop technology from which we benefit. The market for radio modems is pretty small. Don't they deserve to recover their costs and some margin for their risk?

It is worth reflecting on the fact that SCS has made sure that all their products are backwards compatible so P1, P2, and P3 are all supported by the newest hardware. You don't HAVE to replace your existing P3 modem. It will continue to work with Winlink and Sailmail. How does the opportunity for others to move more data faster in the same bandwidth hurt you at all? I'd argue it HELPS you because those that choose to buy P4 modems will get their traffic through more quickly and give you more access.

dave
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-19-2014

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I have no problem with faster modems, etc, that's a good thing.

I don't think amateurs would have a problem with the mail programs if users were better operators. The problems happen because people tap on the button to "get their email" without even checking the frequency to see if anybody else is using it, as if it were the same as having a high speed internet connection back at home. Some of these users end up "checking email" many times a day, over and over, stomping on other people's conversations, etc, it's no wonder that other amateur users get angry about it. You have to wonder if a lot of the people "checking their email" even know that there are other people using the frequencies, if they even listen to the band to see if it is clear, or have any idea that they are being so rude to others.

If people were using the mail systems because they are amateur radio operators first, using the Pactor modems and email system as an interesting mode, that would be one thing. But now there are a pile of people who don't give a rat's ass about amateur radio who get their license just to have "free email", and that's the problem. It isn't the fact that they are using it for email, it's that they don't care about the things that the other users on the amateur bands care about such as sharing frequencies and being good operators. It's like a pile of people crashed an astronomy convention for the free food.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 06-19-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-20-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
It is worth reflecting on the fact that SCS has made sure that all their products are backwards compatible so P1, P2, and P3 are all supported by the newest hardware. You don't HAVE to replace your existing P3 modem. It will continue to work with Winlink and Sailmail. How does the opportunity for others to move more data faster in the same bandwidth hurt you at all? I'd argue it HELPS you because those that choose to buy P4 modems will get their traffic through more quickly and give you more access.

dave
A fair point.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 06-20-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
But now there are a pile of people who don't give a rat's ass about amateur radio who get their license just to have "free email"...
I understand your point, and there's a part of me that agrees. But then there's another part of me that says, everyone of us who has ever gotten into amateur radio did so--at least at first--for some specific reason of our own. Whether it was to learn about electronics, or for a specific communication desire, or whatever else, we all start out with our own reason, and probably don't "give a rat's ass" about any of the other stuff that some amateurs think is the most important part of being a ham. In that sense, this new "pile of people" really isn't any different from every other ham out there.

I think a lot of those people crashing the astronomy convention, after getting their free food, will take a look around and realize that something kind of cool is going on.
Old 06-20-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Like with so many other things as one's embarks on the learning curve to be a competent cruiser I didn't know a "rat's ass" about ssb. I wanted it not for email but for weather and another backup to the epirb.
I think it is the obligation of who ever teaches you how to use the d-mn thing the proper etiquette. I'm learning from a ham who is in the next slip and various experienced cruisers. I was taught best way to learn is
see one
do one
teach one
If the seeing and doing is under the supervision of a good operator you will be a polite good operator.
Old 06-20-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I may have already made this point.

In my opinion the maritime nets on ham HF frequencies are better than those on the marine HF frequencies. My observation is that some cruisers, full- or part-time, put up huge antennas and have really good equipment. Those are the folks with booming signals that tie the nets together.

Check out the Waterway Net on 7268 kHz LSB at 0745 US ET or 14300 kHz USB 24/7.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.