Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013

Bill B is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Google Glass Idea Brainstorming

The other Google Glass thread seems to mostly be about pros/cons of the technology and whether or not people agree with using it.

In this thread, I'd like to start a separate brainstorming discussion to come up with ideas for sailing-related applications and tools, and to discuss their related details. That way, people can start development, and there could be useful, sailing-related apps already available for the Glass upon its official release.

However, I'm pretty new to sailing - I don't have much experience yet, and I have a no-frills dinghy. As such, I don't have the benefit of the knowledge and experience that the rest of you have to know what's useful and what's not. But I'm a serious technophile, so I'm really excited about Glass and its potential uses.

What I do have is software development experience, a desire to create tools that members of our community can benefit from, and a Glass prototype that should be arriving sometime this week.

I expect my first experiment will be to create a simple HUD that will display available data (course? speed? other stuff?). But once I "get my feet wet" with that, I plan to move on to more complicated things. Which is the reason for this thread.

For those of you that are open to using something like Glass, I'd love to hear your ideas for apps, tools, interfaces, etc. I can't promise that I can make them happen, but I think it would be worthwhile (and fun) to try.

For those of you are that are opposed to this technology, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But I'd like to ask that you not voice those opinions in this thread, but rather, use the other thread. I would prefer that any criticism here be constructive and dedicated to identifying or refining ideas for future tools/apps.

Thanks!
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Glass Idea Brainstorming

Bill,

If I was going to use it, I might divide use into 2 programs. One for off shore work, like a HUD for the chart plotter. And one for coast wise use.

I think that the coast one would not take much more than displaying the "ActiveCaptain Companion" data. OR the display from "Smart Chart AIS" app.

Greg
Bill B likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

For sure one function would be to get a bearing on an object you look at and describe. For example "R 16", or water tower. If distance was also available, so much the better.
Not your bailiwick, but the lenses should be "transition" and polarized. The glasses should come with a new yet to be developed but very comfortable retention device.
I will think of more.
Nice idea,
John
Bill B likes this.
Old 12-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I was accepted into their Explorer program - but at $1,500 I just don't see the appeal.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-11-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Not your bailiwick, but the lenses should be "transition" and polarized.
John

Polarized yes. Photochromic - absolutely not.

Such lenses have been identified as a contributing factor when the Ouzo was run down by a freighter.

Quote:
The seaman lookoutís glasses
The lookoutís photochromic glasses were sent to University College Londonís Institute of Ophthalmology to assess whether they might have had an adverse effect upon his night vision.

The glasses were examined and a report was prepared (Annex 1), which concluded that the optical transmission of the lenses was no more than 80% efficient and, taking into account all of the other known factors, was probably less at the time of the accident. This compares to 94.7% and 99.4% optical transmittance of ordinary uncoated and coated lenses, respectively. This was a startling result as the consequences of such a reduction in night vision had not been fully appreciated by opticians and ophthalmologists before the investigation of this accident.

The report also stated that it would be correct to assume that a uniform reduction in brightness due to the optical density of the lenses would decrease the likelihood that a subject would detect the lights of shipping vessels.

It appears, therefore, that the lookoutís glasses would have been a contributory factor when considering why Ouzoís lights were not seen earlier. However, there are no rules or guidelines concerning the wearing of such glasses on the bridge of a vessel at night. This incident has raised a serious concern that glasses fitted with photochromic lenses are inappropriate for use by lookouts on the bridge of merchant vessels. It also raises the question of applicability of use by operators in other modes of transport.

The MAIB also requested the Institute of Ophthalmology to test lenses from the major tinted photochromic lens manufacturers to determine whether the concerns raised in the initial report regarding the lookoutís glasses were widespread, and not just applicable to that particular pair or manufacturer (see Annex 2). The report concluded that all of the photochromic lenses tested showed significant reductions in the amount of transmitted light.
However the lenses of the glasses supplied for test by the MAIB were significantly inferior to the other currently commercially available lenses indicating that either manufacturers have improved the performance of their photochromic materials, or that the performance of photochromic glasses is reduced with time. As at least one manufacturer only guarantees the performance of lenses for 2 years, the latter reason may be the most likely.

This is obviously an additional concern regarding photochromic lens glasses, however it is outside the scope of this investigation.
Marine Accident Investigation: Ouzo
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-11-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Off hand the first place I can see adoption is by racers who have big toy budgets already. So I would look at duplicating the data of something like a tac-tic repeater. My wish list would be speed, wind speed, course, lifts and throws.

Long term adding chart plotter data, active captain data, ect would be great. But I see cruisers being slower to adopt that a racing crew.

I could also see something like a LAN, where the skipper could give a command to tack, and everyone would get a warning, what type of set at the mark, possibly voice communication... I am not familure enough with the capabilities of Glass to be sure what is even possible. But I can't think of a few boats that wouldn't blink at spending $1,500 a crew member if they could all get this type of capability.
Bill B likes this.

Last edited by Stumble; 12-12-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Polarized yes. Photochromic - absolutely not.

Such lenses have been identified as a contributing factor when the Ouzo was run down by a freighter.

Marine Accident Investigation: Ouzo
Thanks Jack. I had no idea that the situation was that bad. The reason I said "transitions" is that I have two sets if these glasses, one transitions and another a no name Chinese product. The transitions were great (for more than five years), but the no name product was slow to react and after 10 months the photochromic layer began to separate and the glasses became useless. I now use regular tinted glasses or my regular untinted glasses. But that is good information.
John
Old 12-11-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
What I do have is ... a Glass prototype that should be arriving sometime this week.
I hate you so very, very much right now. If my jealously could be given form, it'd look something like this:

That aside, I too am an Android software developer and would think that the first, most important thing to get working would be obtaining & parsing the NMEA communications form boat devices. From that, you get most of the "cool" details at which point it comes down to UI design.

The size of the Glass display isn't fantastic, so I'd personally go with a display of wind speed/direction, boat speed/direction, and perhaps depth sounding if present. These are things I want to know right now, chart plotting is cool and all but much harder, requires more data, and you need the NMEA comms to put you on the map anyway

Been sketching out ideas on this for a while now, so feel free to hit me up via PM if you want a longer discussion.
Bill B likes this.
Old 12-12-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
The size of the Glass display isn't fantastic, so I'd personally go with a display of wind speed/direction, boat speed/direction, and perhaps depth sounding if present. These are things I want to know right now, chart plotting is cool and all but much harder, requires more data, and you need the NMEA comms to put you on the map anyway
Right.. and low-power Wifi might be easier than Bluetooth to serve the NMEA data from a central server (with alert inputs) to more than one headset simultaneously.
Bill B likes this.
Old 12-12-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

After reading the replies so far, I think the BEST would be to be able to pick what I want to see, and then select where on the screen to see it. That way when on one type of cruise I can use set one set, then when racing I could select another group.

One of the BEST games I ever had was a "Pinball" maker program. I could select from a lot of items and place them on the screen where I wanted them, then play the game.

Greg
Bill B likes this.

Youtube page -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.