Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: English Boatyard

TDW - how could you forget MORGANS from your list of cars? And they are (in part) still wooden, which *must* make them related to boats...and are still produced (but I believe the waiting list has shrunk down to 5 years again)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Holland is (was) a KiWi - he moved to Ireland for tax reasons.

I rest my case.
Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 12-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Laurent Giles

Wanderer III

Salar

Vertue

Trekka

Pretty ? Maybe not but I'd claim handsome, most certainly well proven and no slugs given the era.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 12-14-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2013

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

Cricket first - man you guys kicked our asses

as for small old english boats

as a man who owned a mirror offshore I know about fugly

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-...904139_jpg.jpg

a few words of defense about the boats at Paynes

1/ they are all pictured out of the water so it is hard to judge how they will look when afloat

2/ they are all fairly small l - so any cabin space has a disproportionate impact on the look of the boat. It rains a lot here so cabin space is premium

3/twin and bilge keels are ugly things - depth challeneged yachts that fall over when they touch the ground can be a realhandicap with out 20 foot tides

4/these are old boats - mostly from the early days of GRP when the designers were learning what will and wont work

5/these are tough little boats, cheap to buy, cheap to keep, great fun.

sorry about our batsmen - bloody rubbish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-15-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLena View Post
I beg your pardon, my Land Rover isn't leaking, it is marking it's territory.
"Marking"? Oh my, that is good.

I mistakenly thought the car industry in Britain was basically gone. Some interesting info:

Cars made in Britain | AA

I wonder if present day British manufactured cars, aside from Honda, still leak oil?

I know, a bit of a drift, but maybe TDW will allow it?

Paul T
Old 12-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"Marking"? Oh my, that is good.

I mistakenly thought the car industry in Britain was basically gone. Some interesting info:

Automotive industry in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cars made in Britain | AA

I wonder if present day British manufactured cars, aside from Honda, still leak oil?

I know, a bit of a drift, but maybe TDW will allow it?

Paul T
Given I was the one who first brought up cricket, autos and aeroplanes how could I possibly object ?

Brit motors no longer live in those leaky old days. If I had the dosh and the inclination (which I probably don't) I'd gladly have one of current crop of Aston Martins or Jags and when it comes to 4WDs no one does it like Range Rover. Crikey, BMW even owned bloody Rover for a few money bleeding years and they still couldnt come up with a 4WD that comes close to a Rangie.

ps - Morgans are pretty cool but they don't rock my boat. Leaky wooden things are not my idea of nirvana.

Still and all if you really do want to start a discussion on Brit motors then yes , kick off a new one in OT.

Now back to the cricket wot ? Two days to play. Oz with a 235 run lead and only three wickets down. Unless there is a collapse, should put the poms back in just before lunch chasing maybe 500 or so. Ah me. Other than beating the Kiwis at Rugby (which sadly we very rarely do) there not much that is better.

Dylan ..... I'll admit some of those boats are less than easy on the eye but small cheap boats put the English on the water when they could afford nowt else. Sod it, homely is better than nothing at all while for grubbing about the English coast and shallow estuaries requires small stout and shallow draft more so than white flashy and yacht club.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-15-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Still and all if you really do want to start a discussion on Brit motors then yes , kick off a new one in OT.
Thanks, pretty well covered it. My uncle had a new MG TD in 1948 which I was allowed to drive a bit, loved the sound and tight suspension, when American cars leaned and swayed all over the place. I was surprised Britain was still making cars.

Paul T
Old 12-15-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dylan ..... I'll admit some of those boats are less than easy on the eye but small cheap boats put the English on the water when they could afford nowt else. Sod it, homely is better than nothing at all while for grubbing about the English coast and shallow estuaries requires small stout and shallow draft more so than white flashy and yacht club.
Description of "Dulcibella", from "The Riddle of the Sands" --

"She seemed very small (in point of fact she was seven tons), something over thirty feet in length and nine in beam, a size very suitable to week-ends in the Solent, for such as liked that sort of thing; but that she should have come from Dover to the Baltic suggested a world of physical endeavour of which I had never dreamed. I passed to the aesthetic side. Smartness and beauty were essential to yachts, in my mind, but with the best resolves to be pleased I found little encouragement here. The hull seemed too low, and the mainmast too high; the cabin roof looked clumsy, and the skylights saddened the eye with dull iron and plebeian graining. What brass there was, on the tiller-head and elsewhere, was tarnished with sickly green. The decks had none of that creamy purity which Cowes expects, but were rough and grey, and showed tarry exhalations round the seams and rusty stains near the bows. The ropes and rigging were in mourning when contrasted with the delicate buff manilla so satisfying to the artistic eye as seen against the blue of a June sky at Southsea. Nor was the whole effect bettered by many signs of recent refitting. An impression of paint, varnish, and carpentry was in the air; a gaudy new burgee fluttered aloft; there seemed to be a new rope or two, especially round the diminutive mizzen-mast, which itself looked altogether new. But all this only emphasized the general plainness, reminding one of a respectable woman of the working-classes trying to dress above her station, and soon likely to give it up.

That the ensemble was businesslike and solid even my untrained eye could see. Many of the deck fittings seemed disproportionately substantial. The anchor-chain looked contemptuous of its charge; the binnacle with its compass was of a size and prominence almost comically impressive, and was, moreover the only piece of brass which was burnished and showed traces of reverent care. Two huge coils of stout and dingy warp lay just abaft the mainmast, and summed up the weather-beaten aspect of the little ship. I should add here that in the distant past she had been a lifeboat, and had been clumsily converted into a yacht by the addition of a counter, deck, and the necessary spars. She was built, as all lifeboats are diagonally, of two skins of teak, and thus had immense strength, though, in the matter of looks, all a hybrid's failings."

Read it online here.

Download it free here.

While not as good as the book, the video does have a replica Dulcibella, lots of well-filmed on-location sailing scenes (looks a lot like some of Dylan Winter's videos), and Jenny Agutter. Oh, and Michael York & Simon MacCorkindale.
Watch it on youtube
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,

Last edited by manatee; 12-16-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
That post #1 is truly a field of broken dreams..

But one only needs to wander local marinas to see so-called 'plastic fantastics' in similar states of neglect.. sad no matter where you find it.
True.. although somehow a wooden boat in a state of neglect is a lot less imposing and harsh on the eyes (proud even in it's state of decrepit-ness) than the outrage attached to the sight of a rotting chunk of 'plastic fantastic' - which should be hidden from view as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Classic30; 12-15-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Many a world class adventure can be had on a strong but less than gorgeous vessel. I hear that this same attitude can be transferred into the realm of matrimony.All depends on the beholder and the beholdie. Always the chance of ending up in a forgotten boat yard if you don't take care of stuff.