Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005

Craigy is on a distinguished road
Help with prices

Can someone help me with apporximate prices for:

-rebuilding a volvo m2 engine
-new standing rigging for a gemini catamaran (including an insulated backstay)
-a set of sails for a gemini (main, jib, foresail)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2005

gunnyman is on a distinguished road
Help with prices

Gemini has a web site you can join and get somew great info on their boats. When I started looking for a cat I joined Gemini Gems, I think $10 bucks and got some great scoop. Didn''t buy Gemini but got some great info from cat sailors.
Old 01-29-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Help with prices

Craig, here''s my cut at your Q''s:

1. There''s no way you can expect an answer to a rebuild without knowing how much of the internal hardware you plan to replace, how hard it is to find (how old the engine) etc. Talking with a local Volvo mechanic and ballparking a basic rebuild is the best you can do.
2. Count the number of approx lengths of the Gemini rig wires, add in the insulator (2 add''l connectors) and take that info to your local rigger; he can give you an estimate based on producing the wire + connectors with and without labor. You want to quote local, not from someone like me from some other location.
3. Call a regular vendor (e.g. Cruising Direct, North, etc.), cite the boat (you may need to know the year, as the Gemini design has changed at least once) and they can offer you a standard quote. Pick the vendor based on the quality of sails you plan to ultimately purchase. And/or call the Gemini Builder and ask one of Tony Smith''s folks to offer a ballpark quote; bet the can come as close as the loft for a given build quality.

Jack
Old 02-05-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Help with prices

I have to agree with Woosh 100%, but I would add two other things. First, spend a little time searching for a good used replacement engine as well, and especially see if a Yanmar might work. I have been in yacht service for 25 years and we ALWAYS had some good used sailboat engines hanging around the yard.

Secondly, really do a good job of checking out EXACTLY what you need to know about the rig, so you will sound intelligent to riggers when asking for the quotes, then submit quotes to every shop you acn locate, nationwide. You will probably have to pay shipping no matter what, so bite the bullet and put together a good quote request. It''s hard, but well worth it.