Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005

trecksail is on a distinguished road
Creative ideas for loading 38''''er on trailer w/out crane?

Has anyone figured out any safe way to get a boat off stands and onto a trailer without a crane? The shipping $$$ are high as it is of course. Just seems like there might be some trick.
Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2005
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

If you''re looking for ways to save some bucks, sell this boat for land fill! What a albatross, hope you''re in your teens cause it going to take decades to put this heap back into shape, a trailer and crane are the least of your worries! What possesed you to give hard currency for this "hole in the water"? Did you know that they charge for moorings or slips, winter storage isn''t given out with good looks either!

Just my humble opinion!
Old 01-31-2005

boydgatlin is on a distinguished road

Check with Chris Rooke at Rooke Sails ( http://www.rookesails.com/ ). He routinely loads yachts up to 38'' without a crane.
Old 01-31-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

When I moved my boat from Maine, I used a company that had a hydyraulic trailer. My boat was on jackstands at a private residence. They were able to simply pick up the boat and mast with the trailer and transport it right on the same piece of equipment. Their price per mile for the hauling was pretty much in line with companies that simply had ''lowboy'' trailers and I did not need to lease a crane or have an operator.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

Trecksail, Jeff just about said it all when he found not much difference in the price.Sure the hydraulic trailer saves money for the company but they have to pay for an expensive trailer.The only chance to put that boat on a lowboy is to have it in a strong fixed cradle and try and winch it up sliding along ramps SCARRY.I built a hydraulic fully adjustable trailer with salvaged structural steel for about3500.I even used the hubs off a tractor trailer(salvaged) which only cost me 200 with old tires thrown in.I live on the water so I haul my boat and launch it myself.With my setup I have to use stands but am making it adaptable to lift a cradle as well.
Old 01-31-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I think that you misunderstood my point. The cost to haul my boat on a hydraulic trailer was significantly less than a rigid trailer when you factor in the cost of needing a crane to load the boat on a ''low-boy'' trailer. In other words,it cost me the same amount per mile for the hydraulic trailer as I was quoted for rigid trailer and since a crane was not required, I realized significant savings by not having to rent a crane and pay an operator to place the boat on the rigid trailer.

Jeff
Old 01-31-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road

If you can find one in your area, the hydraulic is the way to go. They use one at my marina when shuffling boats while the Travel Lift is busy.

My biggest concern would be the actual transport. The entire port side of the hull is devoid of bulkheads and stringers, any bouncing during transport may be enough to cave the hull in. Not being an engineer, I may be wrong, but that would be a BIG TIME worry for me. I would feel more comforatble if you tabbed in some temparary bulkheads and stringers before the vessel was moved. Nothing fancy, and you could cut them out later when you went to finish the interior later.

I would hope that you were able to take this project on for free, as you are about to face incredible costs trying to bring her back to shape. My "Project Boat" was in FAR better shape to begin with and I have spend over $20,000 on material and maybe over 300 man hours to date, and I''m still not done!
Old 01-31-2005

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough

Old 01-31-2005

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that a hydrolic trailor is the way to go.

However, if you live in the southwest, Moger Yacht Transpot in Gardenia California had a "low-boy" with a dolly arrangement and may be able to load you boat by hand, with out a crane. Keep in mind, hand loading will cost extra.
Old 02-01-2005

dman is on a distinguished road

JEFF H This must vary area to area quite allot.We have both types around my area however they keep the price the same.It`s like buying your gas from one station or the other,they know your going to buy so they price accordingly.They can buy a lowboy for 60000 or a hydraulic over 100000 so that extra cost has to be recovered from someone.Silmaril ,Moving a boat around the yard you do not have to support the keel but on the road any of these trailers have support bars to take the weight and the arms just stabilize.If you are using a fixed cradle you cannot use a trailer without a crane,so if yours has a cradle to begin with you now must also have stands.Most people that use stands do not step their mast at the end of the season but it is part of the whole stand process which also means more money.As you can see like most things in this whole boating thing they get you no matter which way you go.