Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?

West's 407 is the same stuff as what I used, except I used a generic brand that was a tenth of the cost. I got a gallon of it for $11 as opposed to $34 for a litre of 407.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Fairing your keel on Christmas eve - a new definition of hard core.
Dog Ship likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-24-2013

Well, it was a nice day and race season starts January 6th.
Old 12-24-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I just used West System epoxy with some 407 filler to do some fixing on a tiller. Working on re-varnishing it too. I like how this filler worked out on this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?-imag0642%5B1%5D.jpg   Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?-imag0643%5B1%5D.jpg   Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?-imag0650%5B1%5D.jpg  

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 12-25-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
On the advice of an old boatyard owner, I use talc as a thickener for epoxy to make fairing goop. Balloons makes nice sanding but it stays so runny that it's hard to work overhead or vertically.

Talc/epoxy can be thickened as stiff as you need and it sands better than anything I've ever used. I find there's no need to worry about the talc being hygroscopic as there is so much resin in the mix plus the top coats that any theoretical absorbency isn't a factor.

It's dirt cheap too if you get it from an industrial supplier. I paid $20 for a cement bag of the stuff 10 years ago - I still have lots.
thats what we have been using down here in el salvador...great cheap stuff and is nice to fair....we are using this method outside and to fair the insides of the cabin tops where they meet the deck as they had loose strand oem glass work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-28-2013

After two days my sample in the carport had finally kicked off so I let it sit one more day and went back down to the boat.
Like I had expected it had sagged quite badly. So after "much" sanding I mixed up some more.
With SJ34's advice of a 2:1 mix in mind I added much more filler than the first time. Not quite a 2:1 but close. It looked like pie dough as opposed to my first attempt, thick icing.
I have worked with epoxy quite a bit over the years and during first attempt I had "epoxy" in mind and tried to keep the epoxy, well epoxy looking.
Big mistake.
After a huge amount of sanding I mixed up my new brew at about 1 part epoxy to 1.75 parts filling compound. It went on like drywall filler and stayed put, no sagging. Perfect!
All I have left to do is sand the old paint a bit and put on some new bottom paint . Then wait for the boat yard employees to return from their Christmas break so they can put the old tub back in the chuck.
Thanks for all the help everyone.