SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/112090-fairing-compounds-what-do-you-use.html)

Dog Ship 12-14-2013 08:41 AM

Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?

Just pulled our C&C 32 out of the water and the fairing around the keel needs to be redone.
I have no idea what to use for this.
It won't take much, for the most part it will just make the joint more smooth so it is less prone to growth. The worst of the alignment is about 3/16 of an inch where as the rest is fairly close. So close it would be ok to just repaint it and it would be fine.
There seems to be a lot of products out there for this, but what have people had the best result with?

Bruce_L 12-14-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Fairing Compounds, what do "you" use?

I use this stuff: System Three Quick Fair Fairing Compound

It is epoxy based, a must have for the task...

+ + + Works great, not too hard to sand down

+ + + End result is smooth, holds paint well, waterproof

- - - Cant mix it 1:1 - i use a gram scale, calculator, mix on wax paper

- - - Sets up too fast when used n the summer temperatures

I get it online... Buy enough, there will be some waste in your project..

Hope this helps, Bruce

SHNOOL 12-14-2013 11:09 AM

Interlux watertite (also an epoxy)...
I'll tell you the working temp should be above say 60ish... it'll dry quicker... the conditions I used it in, were 60s for application, and 30s for drying... it took days to dry! Totally my fault.

Watertite Boat Filler | Interlux

Here's a shot of it "in use."
http://www.shnool.com/images/capri25...-15-14_846.jpg

The result...
http://www.shnool.com/images/capri25...2/barrier2.jpg

Dog Ship 12-14-2013 01:10 PM

I'll be doing this outside in 30-40 degree weather with high humidity. More than likely raining. It will have to be a two part compound for stability.
Nice work SHNOOL, are you busy next week. Haha

Markwesti 12-14-2013 01:40 PM

3M Marine Filler.

Faster 12-14-2013 02:04 PM

Doing this kind of work around here this time of year, I'd definitely put up a plastic hoarding (likely required by the yard in any event) and put a heater in it... very few epoxies are likely to cure properly at those temps.

We had good luck with West's G-flex resin and fillers - not so much as a generally fairing compound but specifically in the hull/keel joint area. We did have some difficulty finding it in Canada, (WM claimed to be unable to import it, but Steveston had some in stock)

Stumble 12-14-2013 03:05 PM

I use whatever epoxy I have with a low density filler. WestSystems works fine as do others. The trick is the LOW density. I once grabbed the wrong can and mixed in structural filler... Took a hammer and chisel to get some of that stuff off.

pdqaltair 12-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1218802)
Doing this kind of work around here this time of year, I'd definitely put up a plastic hoarding (likely required by the yard in any event) and put a heater in it... very few epoxies are likely to cure properly at those temps.

We had good luck with West's G-flex resin and fillers - not so much as a generally fairing compound but specifically in the hull/keel joint area. We did have some difficulty finding it in Canada, (WM claimed to be unable to import it, but Steveston had some in stock)

Remember, the keel needs to be warm' not the air. You will need to heat over night, before and after working.

sailingfool 12-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHNOOL (Post 1218450)
Interlux watertite (also an epoxy)..

Yikes, not Watertite for fairing. The Watertite is great for filling divots and holes, but not for fairing, if you know that the term means. That Watertite must have been a bear to sand down...I use an epoxy/microballoon mix, sands nicely, cover with a final coat or two of epoxy.

Dog Ship 12-14-2013 03:49 PM

I'm just heading out to the boat yard right now.
I'll take all this info and pass it by "the guy".
I really don't like dealing with WM but G-Flex seems to be the stuff for this application. There are no divots or holes that need filling it's just going to be a very thin filet along the hull to keel joint.
The yard is doing all the prep work so I am not required to tent the hull to fill and paint. I do need to lay down a tarp to catch any spills but they have done the dirty work already.
I'll let you know what they think about this. They have been doing this for a long time and may have further insight as to what to use.
Thanks so far everybody. I'll keep you posted.