Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: Washington State - Sailing? Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
One of the nicer things about Washington state is its close proximity to British Columbia.
Capt Len,

Next summer, our first "big" adventure from our home port in Everett is going to be the San juans or Victoria. If we head your way, I may call upon you for advice.

I've said it here before, Puget Sound with it's vast water ways, BC, passage to Alaska, scenery, year-round sailing weather etc. is 2nd to nowhere for sailing.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 12-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2013

cutterdad is on a distinguished road

Retired here a year ago (south western WA on the Pacific Columbia). Water can be a little thin on the river if you get out of the channel. So far no one has mentioned to make up for no income tax there is a really high sin tax on alcohol no I mean really high. At our age my wife and I would rather wear a sweater than a bikini so weather is fine. When it comes to gardening. You don't have to worry about growing stuff as much as you have to kill stuff.
As said before everyone we have met has been more than friendly. Been around a lot of the world. Thought we would travel a lot more when we retired. So far we don't want to leave this area. Did I say we we got a new house with a dock for about what a regular house in CA would cost. If you promises not tell anyone else "we think we found paradise".
Good luck.
Old 12-15-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Today had some beautiful winter sailing. 50 degrees, 12 knots of wind dropping to about 8 knots, overcast.

We weren't the only ones out, I saw at least 10 other boats sailing near Shilshole, including this very nice Q Class:

One of the sailing schools seemed to be doing some fun sailing on 3 J-80s as well.
Old 12-15-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

2nd generation BORN on pill hill in seattle, kids are 3rd. Been to the east coast in the summer........never again, humid, daily if not hourly thunderstorms........places east of the mississippi river get MORE RAIN, yes more rain from May 1 to October 1 than seattle ALL year by some 10". That does not include the snow moisture from Oct 1 to may 1 either.....

Anyway. Looked like a great day to sail. but alas, someone stole my boat out of the Edmonds marina! I did get a pic of the suspects, so if you see them......well, not sure what to say about it!

Oh it was a bit on the warm side today at 48, would have preferred low 40's, then the local mtns would have had snow falling instead of rain......grrrrrrrrrr.....

ALong with you do not have have a shoal draft boat, DEEP draft will work just fine. in fact, you usually do not even get the depth guage to read! the lowest point in puget sound is 1300' deep, straight of georgia in BC is 2200 iirc.......hell anchoring will be an issue! one hell of a lot o rode!

Marty
Old 12-15-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Not to worry. There is lots of navigable water between the rocks.
Old 12-15-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
One of the nicer things about Washington state is its close proximity to British Columbia.
You can find good Cuban cigars in Victoria as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-15-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I lived in Spokane for three years, one of the most beautiful cities in the United States - no doubt about it. Just 30 miles to the east was Lake Coeur d'Alene, which had lots of small sailboats skittering around through much of the warmer months. Lake Pend Oreille was a bit farther away, but much larger and breathtakingly beautiful to say the least. As for Seattle, I went to school there for a major oil company, and at the end of the three months I spent there I would never have returned. Too many people, too much traffic, not much sunshine, damp, and cold. Spokane was superior in many ways. Employment opportunities throughout the Inland Empire are not at all good - which is why I returned to Maryland.

Gary
Old 12-16-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

I was born here and after 40+ yrs I need to point out that all of the responses so far are wrong, there is no reason why anybody from anywhere else needs to move to the PNW ever, especially Seattle. Rain, grey, earthquakes, volcanos, packs of rabid slugs and moles, this place is a living hell. I was on the docks when Alex pulled in yesterday, the guy has moss growing out of his eyeballs. Of course people are friendly around here, misery loves company. Have you thought about LA?

This is the best description I have read about this area; Seattle is like being married to a beautiful woman, who is sick all the time.
Old 12-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

How does that Perry Como song go......"the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle......"

oh yeah, forgot about them earthquakes, or sunami's or volcano's or uprising faults causing mtns during earthquakes..........

don't move here, to many here already......lololol

Marty
Old 12-16-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was born here and after 40+ yrs I need to point out that all of the responses so far are wrong, there is no reason why anybody from anywhere else needs to move to the PNW ever, especially Seattle. Rain, grey, earthquakes, volcanos, packs of rabid slugs and moles, this place is a living hell. I was on the docks when Alex pulled in yesterday, the guy has moss growing out of his eyeballs. Of course people are friendly around here, misery loves company. Have you thought about LA?
Funny!? That's the same thing the native born say in Denver, Boise and Austin.