Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Washington State - Sailing? Living?

Most providers can show you data coverage reasonably well on a map. I'm on T-Mobile and it can vary widely, but T-Mobile also has the least reliable coverage in rural areas. As an example I get HSPA+ service in Friday Harbor, but sometimes only at 1-2 bars. At Lopez Island/Fisherman's Bay I have no service. In many other nice anchorages it can drop to 2G.

Many marinas have internet, but it's usually over-utilized.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon did better out here. AT&T seems to be somewhat similar (most of the friends that I sail with have AT&T phones).
Old 12-25-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

also, the Orca Whales like it so much that they came south into Puget Sound for Christmas:

That was shot just off of Shilshole Bay Marina in Seattle a couple of hours ago.
aeventyr60 and joyinPNW like this.
Old 12-26-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

It is hard to top Alex's photo,

I have used AT&T for data, and Verizon for voice and data on Puget Sound from south Seattle, Bremerton, up north to the mid San Juan's without problem, although there are spots you will drop to 3G and rarely 2G. There are so many little coves and islands that I am sure if you tried you could find a place with no access. As as side note, the rumor around here is there are so many hyper wealthy techies in the San Juans (including Paul Allen) that data access up there is better than you would expect.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Paul Allen no longer lives there he sold his island a couple weeks ago and the Puget sound is one of the most wired places on the planet. Lots of big tech companies here. Heck we almost invented telecommuting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

A few spots on the SJ's where the US wireless is non existent to not there, but bc comes thrur, or overpowers the US on this side. would imagine some places in BC is is the same, they are weak, but a stronger US signal comes thru.

Near port angelas driving, on elevation I can get a us radio, go down the next 200' I am getting a Victoria station on the same radio wave, then on water I am getting the US station again. Phone sometimes works similar along the borders.

Crane island in the sj's is tough to get cellular all around it but doable. I could call out at the top of mt constitution on Orcas......ferry ride to orcas is pretty good overall for wireless. A bit in the area of west sound south is tough.....

The main part of puget sound south of PT is not an issue overall with cel zervice.

Marty