SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

seasickness

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
hey has anyone out there heard or alternate methods to help out with seasickness(i am thinking like accupuncture or ?) please let me know of your expeiance and what you do for it if you suffer........thanking you in advance....jeff

#2 ·
I''ve given "Motion Ease" to those suffering from Mal De Mere; it is essentially an oil with 11 herbs and spices (like Cornel Sanders) and can be administered after the onset of symptoms. Seems to work in most cases although I didn''t give it to sailormitch last year on our trip, thought it might be more fun watching him feed the fish ARRRH!

#3 ·
Denr Would that be the torch of compassion.I just about fell out of my chair,You predator you.The whole snair thing,poking with your spear,I would of pitched overboard laughing.Stede was not impressed.Anyone can write unintentional comedy I see it here all the time.

#4 ·
Denr,

You mean to tell me now that you had some Motion Ease aboard your beautiful Sabre and didn''t offer me any? Now I am glad I barfed on your waxed topsides! That was a strange day, though. My Chesapeake middle ear didn''t like that Lake Michigan swell -- guess it''s that 390 mile fetch out of the north? At least the next day I was well for the 11 hours of motoring across the lake in the dead calm. :)

But that trip did produce one of my all time sailing highlights -- that return sail home with the asymm up for hours, and the miles ticking away under the keel. That day was AWESOME!

Maybe next time I''ll try those wrist bands that cost $20 and have about 49 cents of spandex and thumb tacks in them to apply pressure to "just the right spot". Those supposedly work like acupuncture, to get this back to the original question.

Respectfully,
SailorMitch, fish chummer extraordonaire

#9 ·
We sent some cash to help out and after checking the logistics it was going to take allot more than we could spend to go over.
We like a cause and had plans to go to Central America then the Tsunami hit and having respect for the people of that area wanted to help. The Buffett thing is right on track. I have been sailing since 1962 geeezzz I cant be that old. Anyway the song says it all. I have lived on boats hitch hiked across the country from coast to coast lost a marriage and quit school to go sailing. I have fought in a war loved many women have children I respect and love got drunk to often went commercial fishing worked as a Commercial diver built a few yachts including a 160'' aluminum monster lived in a tent on a beach tried to be a smuggler finished a degree in avaition have six grandsons an old boat and Mother Ocean I have always had her. I never stick my foot in her with out saying hello Mother Ocean.I have done this since I was a boy and swam out past the second reef with an inner tube and a bushel basket as a catch all for the fish I speared. All alone and 12 years old I was connected to something I could just barley understand but loved.Mother Ocean please protect me I would ask her don''t let the sharks get me or don''t let me drown. I would dive down and my little anchor would take me to 35 feet real fast and I would get the big lobster and fill my basket till the fish and lobster were flowing over the top.Mother Ocean has given me so much for so many years I have seen things that I can not explain but no need Mother Ocean gave me that moment because I am one of her children. Mother Mother Ocean.

#10 ·
We have a friend that got sea sick all the time. We gave her ginger cookies and the wrist bands and she managed 10 days in the Virgin Islands, 25 plus winds and at times I even took her into the Atlantic 10 foot seas. She never got sea sick until we put her on land at Cruz Bay. Forgot to tell her she would still feel like she was on the boat. She didn''t get over it until she was back on board...:))

Don''t know but they did work for her. Practical Sailor did an article a few months back. They tried the expensive automatic one and said they would recommend it highly.

Good luck,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.