Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bumfuzzles swallow the Anchor

The Bum's are doing what way too many people here talk about their whole lives and never set off to do.

They're beating the "i'll work hard and retire and sail around the world" groups by about 30 years. Not only that, but they've happily exhausted that dream at this point in time. They're experiencing an endless amount of things, with their kids, that most of us never will - hence why so many people follow their blog from sailors to RV'ers to VW Bus enthusiasts. It's another channel to open up our eyes and minds and see what a couple who was willing to take risks is able to do.

They deserve credit for keeping it going. I can't wait to keep following the posts.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 12-20-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Jon, I think we had this same tenor of discussion a couple of years ago when I commented (from shore!) about how nobody was sailing, or even motorsailing, in the lovely and broad-reachable Ft Pierce-to-Stuart leg of the ICWW, on a perfect day, and it turned into a very long thread. I was told, in effect, "you just don't understand the ICW", even though I readily used sails in the days when I did some deliveries (and you too, it seems).

Plus ca change, plus la meme chose ;-)
OK, broken record alert :-)

Actually, I'm tempted to modify that a bit:

The more things stay the same, the more they change...

In other words, I think the cruisers I see along the East coast and thru the Bahamas, seem to be sailing LESS, and motoring more, with each passing year :-)

The overwhelming percentage of 'enhancements' and 'upgrades' people are making to their boats these days ultimately serve to degrade the boat's performance under sail... By the time most folks are done fitting out for a bit of cruising, they've added massive amounts of weight and windage to boats that are often not the most stellar performers under sail to begin with, while at the same time doing little or nothing to improve the boat's light-air sailing capability...(Which, in effect, has now been transformed into her medium air sailing ability ) IMHO, some of the most fun you can have sailing is playing around with free-flying sails, and yet it is astonishing how infrequently I see East coast cruisers flying a chute, or some type of gennaker... No single investment will pay a bigger dividend in terms of making the difference between choosing to sail, or motor - and yet it seems that while many have little hesitiation spending thousand$ on the latest electronics suite, or the addition of cockpit greenhouses and massive stern arch/davit contraptions, investing in sailing gear like an asymetrical, or a carbon fiber pole, seems entirely out of the question...

It's amazing how many otherwise state-of-the-art cruising boats I run, that don't even have the barest minimum of gear for downwind sailing... The boat just ran will sell for over $300K, and yet is not even equipped with a permanently-rigged preventer setup... I had to configure one using docklines, taken from the boom to the bow cleats... Yeah, I really appreciated having to leave the cockpit and go forward in the middle of the night off the Georgia seacoast, simply to snug up the preventer when the boom was eased, or to release it prior to a jibe...

When I brought this Hallberg-Rassy back north last June, we probably sailed almost 50% of the trip DDW, wing on wing... And yet, same deal, both the foreguy and afterguy had to be cobbled together from some dock and spare anchor rode in order to make it adjustable from the cockpit... And, the aluminum pole weighed a TON, a carbon fiber pole would have made all the difference in the world, and added a huge measure of safety... Given the value of such a boat, the cost of going with a carbon fiber pole would have been a drop in the bucket, and would have greatly enhanced the ability to actually sail the damn boat...

It's simply not a priority...

OK, to be fair, the photo below illustrates why it might not always be so easy to obtain a fair lead for preventers or foreguys, back to the cockpit... :-)

Another Caribbean 1500 participant, that apparently passed their ISAF-based inspection with flying colors... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-20-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
The Bum's are doing what way too many people here talk about their whole lives and never set off to do.

They're beating the "i'll work hard and retire and sail around the world" groups by about 30 years. Not only that, but they've happily exhausted that dream at this point in time. They're experiencing an endless amount of things, with their kids, that most of us never will - hence why so many people follow their blog from sailors to RV'ers to VW Bus enthusiasts. It's another channel to open up our eyes and minds and see what a couple who was willing to take risks is able to do.

They deserve credit for keeping it going. I can't wait to keep following the posts.
This^^^^^^^^^^

I'd MUCH rather hear the Fuzzle's crazy stories (even about tacos, diapers, and pizza!) than talk about how cockpit enclosures and electronics are the Devil's Spawn for the 3,000th time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Cockpit enclosures are the Devils spawn?
Old 12-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
You obviously didn't get JonE's memo.

Old 12-21-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Whoa, harsh, Smack.

I happen to agree with Jon that you aren't "sailing" your crusing boat 'til you've done a windward douse of your symmetrical spinny just before gliding engineless into your slip... ;-)

Okay, maybe that's a little extreme. Working jib then.

Merry Christmas all, no matter how you get there...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 12-21-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Whoa, harsh, Smack.
Jon knows I'm just messing with him. We make a good "Point-Counterpoint" team.

Of course, he's Jane...

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-21-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you got to make your move and seek other whatever. Secret is to not leave it too late or the choice up to others. My company motto for years has been 'If it's fun ,we do it'. When the fun out on the 4 meter bowsprit nearly set off my ICD a coarse change became necessary. Now re invented, still crusin ! Merry Seasons Greetings
Old 12-21-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort
You obviously could benefit from a reading comprehension refresher course... :-)

Hey, at least Jane was better looking :-)
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 12-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Too many grinches here. Come on tomorrow is Xmas eve.
Jon I'm a cruiser and maybe I'm a jerk but I think
The engine
Noisy I can't sleep
Expensive ? Where can I buy valvetect for under $4.50
Pia gonna need an oil change sooner
Enclosure
d-mn I spent my whole working life inside and now I'm inside again?
D-mn I got these yuppie,yatchie foulies and I can't show them off?
Don't she look hot with the wind in her hair?
(P.s. Have hard Bimini and hard dodger Jon gonna hate me anyway- oh well)
Screens
"I hear the surf!!!!!! I don't care what the chart plotter says!!!!

Paulo
I only have a 911s the gt3 won't get here until spring. Wife said it will be here by Xmas but all I got is this Xmas card with a picture of it. Oh well guess I won't bother to go driving.

Jon want to hire you some day. Think we would have fun.( yes my pole is carbon. The wife insisted).

Donna you have a great attitude as did the bums.

Always leave them laughing.

Merry new year and happy Xmas to all
smackdaddy likes this.