Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
Hi all, it's been a while since I lasted posted. So I'm looking for a good U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, and working. I want a place where I could live on the boat...either at a slip or off the hook. I'll be working at a job during the week and then sailing on the weekends. Anyone know of a perfect U.S. location for this?
What do you do? What kind of weather do you like? Do you own a boat? Do you know anything about boats? Off the hook and dingy in to shore every morning? I cannot tell you where the best of anything is. You my friend must do some research! Really. Not trying to sound gruff, but if you get 40 responses from this thread, you will also get 35 different answers. My answer would be Seattle. Why? Because I work, live here, and like the weather.

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Dave_E; 12-23-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I can only speak for my part of the world, but along the gulf coast you can sail year around, almost never have to motor, but it is hot in the summer. Still great sailing, just hot at the dock (need AC).

You can probably find construction work almost anywhere along the gulf, but for sure Houston (specifically Kemah/Clear Lake) has a vary active sailing community, tons of live-aboard friendly marinas, tons of jobs, lots of marine services and a low cost of living. Since there are over 10,000 slips on Clear Lake, there are also a ton of used boats for sail at any given time. Along the Gulf New Orleans and Tampa are really nice too, and have very active sailing communities. Not sure about the construction jobs.

If you prefer smaller cities, the Emerald Coast area of Florida would offer great sailing and should have lots of construction jobs.

I was just reading on this forum Texas VS Florida-As a place to live (transplants, unemployment rate) - City-Data Forum ... it sounds like Texas is a great state to live in!
Old 12-22-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed my time in Charleston, SC as a liveaboard and sailor. Think southern hospitality, without the right wing politics.
Unlike the west coast and some of the NE, the water cops are not totally out of hand, if not almost invisible, except on holidays.
There are three marinas and many nice docks behind houses in the area, where you can live aboard.
It's a pretty cosmopolitan, small, historic city with lot's of character and things to do in a pretty small area. Down town markets and evening entertainment are all within a mile of 2 of the marinas, as are medical facilities. The third is over the bridge in Mount Pleasant. Charleston has a great waterfront (and improving all the time), with some of the best fireworks in the country.
Sailing in the harbor is fun, if not challenging, and there are a few places to sail to over a weekend, outside, or in the ditch. You'd be extremely comfortable sailing in confined waters with big ships after a few months there; they get some of the largest container ships on earth, quite regularly. The pilots are capable and friendly, so it's usually a good encounter, if you don't get in their way. But there is a whole side of the harbor where no large vessels go, as well. A big shoal area in the middle of the harbor forms a nice triangle to sail around. It's always neat to sail out to Fort Sumter and along the waterfront, feeling the cannons being aimed at you by some tourist.
I really liked the City Marina; very laid back and convenient to everything. Great dock staff and a caring, but unmeddlesome management.
I don't have a clue about working ashore, but there are numerous marine related opportunities in the area.
Downside; Hot, humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, and the possibility of the occasional hurricane. But you shouldn't have to shovel snow off your boat very often, and you won't have hundreds of drizzly, rainy days a year.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 12-22-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

Here ya go.

Portland named best American city in 2013 | OregonLive.com

pretty good consistent wind in Portland on the Columbia not many exciting places to go close but great sailing.
Old 12-22-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I really enjoyed my time in Charleston, SC as a liveaboard and sailor. Think southern hospitality, without the right wing politics.
Unlike the west coast and some of the NE, the water cops are not totally out of hand, if not almost invisible, except on holidays.
There are three marinas and many nice docks behind houses in the area, where you can live aboard.
It's a pretty cosmopolitan, small, historic city with lot's of character and things to do in a pretty small area. Down town markets and evening entertainment are all within a mile of 2 of the marinas, as are medical facilities. The third is over the bridge in Mount Pleasant. Charleston has a great waterfront (and improving all the time), with some of the best fireworks in the country.
Sailing in the harbor is fun, if not challenging, and there are a few places to sail to over a weekend, outside, or in the ditch. You'd be extremely comfortable sailing in confined waters with big ships after a few months there; they get some of the largest container ships on earth, quite regularly. The pilots are capable and friendly, so it's usually a good encounter, if you don't get in their way. But there is a whole side of the harbor where no large vessels go, as well. A big shoal area in the middle of the harbor forms a nice triangle to sail around. It's always neat to sail out to Fort Sumter and along the waterfront, feeling the cannons being aimed at you by some tourist.
I really liked the City Marina; very laid back and convenient to everything. Great dock staff and a caring, but unmeddlesome management.
I don't have a clue about working ashore, but there are numerous marine related opportunities in the area.
Downside; Hot, humid summers with frequent thunderstorms, and the possibility of the occasional hurricane. But you shouldn't have to shovel snow off your boat very often, and you won't have hundreds of drizzly, rainy days a year.

They say Charleston, SC is the #1 friendliest city in the whole entire USA...

Charleston Named Friendliest City - Around Town - Charleston, SC Patch
Old 12-22-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I don't know what the construction industry around here but it was 68 today with winds blowing 10-18 throughout the day in San Diego. This is the tail end of our cold spell. It is supposed to get up to 75 next week.

If I could find work though I would move to Seattle, I miss green and I think the cruising grounds would be more interesting up there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

Maybe, just maybe you'd get a better feeling for this if you asked what the worst cities for sailing are and work your way backwards. Everyone thinks their area is better than somewhere else because that's where they are!!!!
Or, enjoy your area wherever it is and visit other areas when opportunity presents itself. Invite someone from another area to come sail with you in your area and maybe you can go try out their area with them. You might be surprised by the different point of view you find.
Dave_E likes this.
Old 12-23-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think it's pretty easy to look at a map and guess. Great cruising grounds come from the most fractal landscapes because those create the most tiny nooks and crannies to explore. Those don't exist in many places in the US. On the west coast you get WA and BC from the Salish Sea. On the east coast you get Maine and nearby parts of Canada, the Chesapeake, maybe FL (though destinations seem minimal in comparison) and that is about it. Then there is Alaska.

Out of all of these locations only the Cheasapeake and Salish Sea have major cities, which may or may not be helpful for your particular career.

The Salish Sea is the only one of those two where year round sailing and cruising is commonly practiced.
Old 12-23-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

I got too curious and had to get nerdy about this.

I pulled a list of the 100 largest metro areas on the US. This is basically every metro area of 1/2 million or more.

I threw out any metro area that is not on a major body of water (ocean or great lake). This left 38 on the list.

I threw out any metro area where people do not normally sail year round (on the East coast I used DC and south for year around sailing. Not sure if this is correct or not). This left 21 on the list.

Finally I threw out any metro area with an unemployment rate >=7%. I ended up with 7 metro areas remaining. A brief google of threads discussing live aboard marinas makes me thing I can throw Honolulu and San Fran off the list.

So that leaves 5 areas(with unemployment rate) [and population]:

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC MSA (5.2%) [1.8 million]
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA MSA (5.3%) [3.5 million]
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA (6.2%) [6 million]
Charleston-North Charleston-Summerville, SC MSA (6.3%) [700,000]
Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL MSA (6.8%) [600,000]

All of these seem like really nice sailing areas, so pick your favorite climate/size

between 7% and 8% unemployment you can add:

McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX MSA
North Port-Bradenton-Sarasota, FL MSA
Jacksonville, FL MSA
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA MSA
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL MSA
kedujo likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RainDog; 12-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
kedujo (12-29-2013)
Old 12-23-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
I am a So Cal boater and sometimes I wish I wasn't BUT you can't beat the weather and you can just about sail year round without the need of foulies or having to be put "on the hard" the drawbacks are expensive slip fees and not hauling every season the bottom paint stay on longer causing the possabilities of blistering and other problems, Oh yeah, the cost of having to buy sunscreen year round makes the yearly costs a bit higher no hurricanes, northerlys, snow, toronados, etc...
Oh, I'd love your weather in Southern CA. It's the amount of people, the maze of interstates and the traffic which I could not live with. There are some areas in Northern CA that are nice but I can't really imagine trying to sail on a regular basis along the coastline up there.