SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/112850-best-u-s-city-sailing-living-aboard-working.html)

saldrich 12-19-2013 05:04 PM

Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working

Hi all, it's been a while since I lasted posted. So I'm looking for a good U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, and working. I want a place where I could live on the boat...either at a slip or off the hook. I'll be working at a job during the week and then sailing on the weekends. Anyone know of a perfect U.S. location for this?

night0wl 12-19-2013 05:10 PM

Re: Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working

I hear Seattle is a good place to live aboard and pretty good sailing in the PNW. Lots of jobs too. Cold, wet, and dreary though.

capttb 12-19-2013 07:02 PM

San Diego

newhaul 12-19-2013 07:24 PM

Depends on what you do for a living. You could sail the Puget sound in the pnw for the rest of your life and still not spend time in each inlet or cove. Weather is mild year round here. Not to hot in summer not to cold in winter.

Philzy3985 12-19-2013 07:43 PM

San Diego

I don't even live there. But it's the best for everything.

bigdogandy 12-19-2013 07:59 PM

The answer to this will be different for each person because everybody will have their own definition of what makes a town perfect.

For me, a place like Merritt Island is perfect because it is small enough to be relatively free of crime and congestion, the people are friendly and down to earth, the area has a good economic base for the kind of work that I do, and it is close to some larger cities and airports so when I need that cosmopolitan experience it isn't too hard to get it. The climate is really nice, too - the winters can get a bit chilly but overall it's not too bad.

And, oh yeah, the sailing is awesome here! Lock controlled access to the Atlantic and good sailing on the Indian and Banana Rivers.

It's not quite the big rock candy mountain, but it's close!

FarCry 12-19-2013 08:26 PM

Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas.

Seaduction 12-19-2013 08:30 PM

Take your pick. There's 50 states.

miatapaul 12-19-2013 10:11 PM

Part of it has to do with what you want to do for a living, and part has to do with what kind of weather you like. I don't think I could survive the Florida summers, and don't really mind the upstate New York winters, but it does bring it's own live aboard challenges. If you want to be on the East Coast I think it would be tough to beat the Chesapeake as far as work/sailing balance. On the West Coast you have basically your choice of three areas, San Diego, San Fran, or PNW depending on your weather choice. If you are interested in the Hotel Restaurant business then that opens up some areas like North Carolina/South Carolina, Gulf Coast and Florida. New York/Boston/RI/Portland Maine all have there advantages as well if you like colder winters and more employment opportunities.

My ideal place would be Hawaii, but from my understanding the live aboard is hard to do there. I have family there and will likely end up there eventually.

RainDog 12-19-2013 10:46 PM

Basically, as I see it, you need a place that has three qualities:

1) You can sail year round. There are decent places to sail to for one night, a weekend, a week. The wind is such that you can reliably sail, instead of motor, most of the time. There is an active community to cruise and/or race. There are reliable marine services.
2) You can get into a decent marina that allows live-aboards without having to wait for a year. There are other live-aboards there, so a sense of community. You can get decent wifi and other facilities: laundry, clean showers, nearby groceries and other services.
3) You can easily find a job within a reasonable driving distance that pays competitive wages. There is decent public transportation available from the marina or you have a car and you can keep it nearby.

#1 and #2 are fairly fixed, but it does to some extent, as others have noted, depend on your climate preference. #3 is completely dependent on what you do for a living.

IMHO, any place with "real" winter fails test #1. San Fran, and other places, fail #2. I am especially sad about this, because SF seems like one of the best sailing cities in the US and I am a computer programmer, so jobs are plentiful. Sounds like finding a decent live-aboard marina is not going to happen.

Tell us what you do for a living, and we will give you much better answers.