Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey say's.......

Actually, our insurance company does differentiate between experienced boaters and inexperienced boaters.
And yes the $135,000 is a close figure to replacement cost if unable to find a similarly equipped boat of the same vintage. I'm just happy that what I have into it will be covered in the event of a complete loss.
At the end of the day I do feel I was completely ripped off.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

45 minutes huh? How much did he charge you? My last two surveys were as follows:

1985 Ericson 35-3: 7 hours
1997 Caliber 40LRC: 5.5 hours

These are only the times the surveyor spent with me on the boat. They both obviously spent 2-3 hours writing up the report and compiling it and all the photos onto a CD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
45 minutes huh? How much did he charge you? My last two surveys were as follows:

1985 Ericson 35-3: 7 hours
1997 Caliber 40LRC: 5.5 hours

These are only the times the surveyor spent with me on the boat. They both obviously spent 2-3 hours writing up the report and compiling it and all the photos onto a CD.
$10 a minute. I kid you not. Sure he spent some time at home filling out the paperwork. What was given to me I could have filled out in 20 minutes or less.

Last edited by Dog Ship; 12-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

When I had my O-30 surveyed I was very impressed with the professionalsim, of the gentleman doing the survey. This was out of Deale MD Harrington Harbor. forgot his name. I have pages and pages of text, photos, and details. He even found things I never thought of, and I like to think I know something about boats LOL. It was necessary money well spent imho. sorry you didn't get a good one Dogs.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
sorry you didn't get a good one Dogs.
And that statement right there say's it all Denise.

Regardless of what this cost me, the omissions and errors should never happen.
I have been around boats my whole life, I started racing sailboats when I was 6 years old, I will be 52 next month.
It is only recently that this surveyor, insurance, moorage thing has been an issue.
I have kept our boat in a marina that didn't require insurance and since I have moved away from that marina I get to deal with this stupidity.
My wife and I use our boat regularly, almost every weekend we are out on the water having fun or racing with our local club.
It is in our best interest to keep our boat in top shape and we do.
The last thing I want to have happen is to see my wife struggling to survive in the ocean because of something I have neglected.
Obviously, surveyors couldn't care less about what they do as they are not willing to take responsibility for what they say in their reports and until that changes there is really no point in having a survey done.
It's a useless piece of paper.
Faster likes this.
Old 12-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
Obviously, surveyors couldn't care less about what they do as they are not willing to take responsibility for what they say in their reports and until that changes there is really no point in having a survey done.
It's a useless piece of paper.
In fairness to surveyors like Boatpoker and other conscientious surveyors everywhere I think we need to modify that statement to apply to YOUR surveyor...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
In fairness to surveyors like Boatpoker and other conscientious surveyors everywhere I think we need to modify that statement to apply to YOUR surveyor...
Yes, I agree. There are good surveyors out there and Boatpoker is one who has taken the time to seek the qualifications that make him one.
But, I challenge anyone to find a surveyor who is willing to legally stand behind what they state in these reports. Until that happens it will remain a useless piece of paper.
Old 12-20-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

My last survey was $350 I believe and he found something that resulted in a $600 adjustment at closing. Not really winning but I'd missed it and I would have eaten the $600 replacement cost if he hadn't.
I've used very experienced surveyors and they've done good work for me. When selling I've seen some surveys done of dubious value. I actually asked one guy to "lighten up with that hammer on the cabin top will ya ? It's only fiberglass you know"
Old 12-20-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
When I had my O-30 surveyed I was very impressed with the professionalsim, of the gentleman doing the survey. This was out of Deale MD Harrington Harbor. forgot his name. I have pages and pages of text, photos, and details. He even found things I never thought of, and I like to think I know something about boats LOL. It was necessary money well spent imho. sorry you didn't get a good one Dogs.
Denise-

I live very near Deale, MD.
Could you please look at your survey docs and try to find the name of your surveyor? I might like to retain him for a survey of my vessel, to upgrade to better insurance.

Thanks.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
But, I challenge anyone to find a surveyor who is willing to legally stand behind what they state in these reports. Until that happens it will remain a useless piece of paper.
But yet a necessary one..

For the universal disclaimers of liability I blame the strongly litigious climate of the past 30 years or so.. once the courts started handing out - in some cases ridiculous - "damage" awards the rest seems inevitable.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)