Survey say's....... - SailNet Community
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 12-20-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dog Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dolphin Beach, B.C.
Posts: 583
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Survey say's.......

I thought I would start a new thread so this is kind of an extension of the "Surveying is not poetry" thread.

Wow, what a waist of time and money.
We received our survey report back yesterday and there were a lot of error's and omissions.
There was no mention of any sails and he completely missed the secondary anchor.
The anchor rode went from being 180' of 5/16" BBB to 1/4" chain of unknown length with no mention of the 400+ feet of 3/4' line.
Apparently, someone has changed all the through hulls from tapered ones to ball valves, although he did mention that the boat yard had just serviced them.
The description of the boat was a cut and paste from the cncphotoalblum's website.
He mentioned 2, 2lb fire extinguishers when there are 3, 4lb fire extinguishers in clear and plain view. He said there was no fume/vapor alarm system present when there is one.
And it goes on and on. He also missed a pile of stuff the boat yard has already gone over with me that will be fixed before she goes back in the water.
He did mention how he was impressed by the "high standard of maintenance" the boat had received over the years and that it was in "very good shape".
But here's the kicker, he placed a value on it of $25,000 and a replacement cost of,........what for it.......$135,000. My insurance broker and I had a good laugh about that.
This survey, for a 1981 C&C32 cost us $434.70 our annual insurance premium with a million dollar liability will be about half of the cost of the survey.
I sent a letter to my insurance provider with all of the corrections and omissions that I saw and could think of. They thanked me for that and said that they have had many similar issue's when dealing with surveyors. All they really need to know is that the boat isn't going to sink anytime soon and that they need an unbiased value placed on the boat.
So now I can go and spend thousands on moorage, Yeh!

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.
Dog Ship is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,543
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
Re: Survey say's.......

And exactly what are the qualifications required to work as a surveyor???

I would encourage anyone looking for a surveyor to check with locals to see who they might recommend and also SAMS.

Tim R.
Out cruising
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
 
mad_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,217
Thanks: 5
Thanked 69 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Survey say's.......

from the sounds of it.. I could make a living as a surveyer
Dog Ship likes this.

Art Haberland
__________________

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mad_machine is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Old as Dirt!
 
svHyLyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,933
Thanks: 15
Thanked 129 Times in 122 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Survey say's.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Ship View Post
I thought I would start a new thread so this is kind of an extension of the "Surveying is not poetry" thread.

Wow, what a waist of time and money.
We received our survey report back yesterday and there were a lot of error's and omissions.
There was no mention of any sails and he completely missed the secondary anchor.
The anchor rode went from being 180' of 5/16" BBB to 1/4" chain of unknown length with no mention of the 400+ feet of 3/4' line.
Apparently, someone has changed all the through hulls from tapered ones to ball valves, although he did mention that the boat yard had just serviced them.
The description of the boat was a cut and paste from the cncphotoalblum's website.
He mentioned 2, 2lb fire extinguishers when there are 3, 4lb fire extinguishers in clear and plain view. He said there was no fume/vapor alarm system present when there is one.
And it goes on and on. He also missed a pile of stuff the boat yard has already gone over with me that will be fixed before she goes back in the water.
He did mention how he was impressed by the "high standard of maintenance" the boat had received over the years and that it was in "very good shape".
But here's the kicker, he placed a value on it of $25,000 and a replacement cost of,........what for it.......$135,000. My insurance broker and I had a good laugh about that.
This survey, for a 1981 C&C32 cost us $434.70 our annual insurance premium with a million dollar liability will be about half of the cost of the survey.
I sent a letter to my insurance provider with all of the corrections and omissions that I saw and could think of. They thanked me for that and said that they have had many similar issue's when dealing with surveyors. All they really need to know is that the boat isn't going to sink anytime soon and that they need an unbiased value placed on the boat.
So now I can go and spend thousands on moorage, Yeh!
If I were in your shoes and you live in a locale that allows for Small Claims Court actions, I'd spend the filing fee and see if I couldn't get the "Surveyor's" fee refunded. Based upon your representations, that "Survey" was entirely worthless (and I surely would not have sent it to an insurer!).

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Senior Member
 
krisscross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 2,063
Thanks: 25
Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Survey say's.......

Very sloppy job. Makes you wanna question the value of a survey when you are buying a boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
krisscross is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Just another Moderator
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 16,518
Thanks: 104
Thanked 309 Times in 299 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: Survey say's.......

We had a near identical experience last year for our insurance survey.

Quote:
But here's the kicker, he placed a value on it of $25,000 and a replacement cost of,........what for it.......$135,000. My insurance broker and I had a good laugh about that.
The 'replacement' value is what they think it would cost to build and equip that boat today.. so the $135K is not out of line on that basis. The $25K is, of course, disappointing and hurts to boot.

It would be one thing if an 'insurance' survey that took under an hour (and therefore obviously less than thorough) cost a reasonable $100-150.... but at at least 75% the cost of a 'real' survey it is, as I mentioned in the other thread, a rip-off.

I do think the insurance companies are to blame in this debacle too, though, as they don't make any differentiation between a new boat owner and people with 30 years or more experience.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Faster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 41 Old 12-20-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dog Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dolphin Beach, B.C.
Posts: 583
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Survey say's.......

Well, overall the survey came out in my favour given the value of the boat stated. I paid $25,000 for it two and a half years ago and it will be insured for that amount. The $135,000 replacement cost is laughable.
It was for insurance purposes and there was enough information in the report for the insurance company to offer me a policy.
There are no "requirements" to be a surveyor.
There are qualifications that one can furnish themselves with but there are no requirements needed to become a surveyor. Anyone who feels comfortable enough to do it, can. It is an unregulated, unlicensed and unaccountable industry.
It was a seven page report with one page dedicated to a disclaimer stating that he is not responsible for what is in the report. So there is also no accountability for what he say's and that is the norm.
Seeking my money back would be a waist of time.
You just suck it up and move on.

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.
Dog Ship is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 41 Old 12-20-2013
Senior Member
 
azguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 563
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Survey say's.......

I'd have a couple of comments:

Where did you find the surveyor..?

It sounds like you were not with the surveyor as he did his inspection, I would have been on his heals the entire time pointing out things he missed so they would all be officially part of the record.

I also would have brought all the deficiencies in his final report to his attention and made him make adjustments as needed.

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
azguy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 41 Old 12-20-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dog Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dolphin Beach, B.C.
Posts: 583
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Survey say's.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We had a near identical experience last year for our insurance survey.



The 'replacement' value is what they think it would cost to build and equip that boat today.. so the $135K is not out of line on that basis. The $25K is, of course, disappointing and hurts to boot.

It would be one thing if an 'insurance' survey that took under an hour (and therefore obviously less than thorough) cost a reasonable $100-150.... but at at least 75% the cost of a 'real' survey it is, as I mentioned in the other thread, a rip-off.

I do think the insurance companies are to blame in this debacle too, though, as they don't make any differentiation between a new boat owner and people with 30 years or more experience.
When we saw the replacement cost figure I looked at my wife and said, "I'm going to drill a small hole somewhere and put the boat back in water".

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.
Dog Ship is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 41 Old 12-20-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dog Ship's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dolphin Beach, B.C.
Posts: 583
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Survey say's.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I'd have a couple of comments:

Where did you find the surveyor..?

It sounds like you were not with the surveyor as he did his inspection, I would have been on his heals the entire time pointing out things he missed so they would all be officially part of the record.

I also would have brought all the deficiencies in his final report to his attention and made him make adjustments as needed.
The surveyor was recommended by the boat yard I am on the hard in, Stone's Marina in Nanaimo. I was present for the 45 minute survey.
Why would I go back to the guy, he obviously hasn't got a clue about what he is doing.

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.
Dog Ship is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survey?????? I've never had one Rug7236 General Discussion (sailing related) 19 11-01-2013 11:23 PM
Insurance survey vs purchase survey RossC32 General Discussion (sailing related) 9 03-01-2012 05:05 PM
Survey or Not??? PorFin Boat Review and Purchase Forum 38 11-20-2007 03:21 PM
Should I Be There During Survey? FritzN Boat Review and Purchase Forum 20 06-04-2007 08:32 AM
Help! My survey is done!... Kacper Boat Review and Purchase Forum 46 03-22-2007 06:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome