Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
re: Missing endangered man on sailboat Florida

Putting feelers out in Mississippi. The Barrier Islands are a great place to stay over, hide, etc. I'm sure it's rough out there with the front blowing through.

I assume the Coast Guard and National Parks Service (who maintain the Barrier Islands) have been notified?
Faster likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingStNick View Post
Putting feelers out in Mississippi. The Barrier Islands are a great place to stay over, hide, etc. I'm sure it's rough out there with the front blowing through.

I assume the Coast Guard and National Parks Service (who maintain the Barrier Islands) have been notified?
We've had some really bad weather here, (by bad, I mean miserable, not dangerous) on the Mississippi and related area coasts. It's been raining non-stop and if I was sailing, I would be anchored somewhere, waiting it out. There are a million places to anchor a sailboat from Pensacola to Corpus and a lot of them have no cell phone coverage.

I've had relatives get worried about me, when I was anchored at the barrier islands for several days with no cell coverage.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 12-23-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Hopefully his spirits will be lifted by being out there on the sea, sailing. He has an awesome boat and for a sailor that is a very good reason to live, even if the rest of his life is a mess.
He will turn up when he is good and ready for it.
bljones and Steve in Idaho like this.
Old 12-23-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Missing endangered man on sailboat Florida

Strong southerly winds around the North Central Gulf (I'm in New Orleans) may have prompted a typical sailor proceeding (let's say) west from Pensacola to seek shelter, meaning inside the FL/AL/MS barrier island chain. Big persistent rain sat night and all day sunday, moving east from new orleans. Now a really stiff northerly breeze means the same thing--shelter. So it's been Small craft warnings for most of the past four days, probably into tomorrow too.

Without knowing his motive or itinerary, nevetheless these weren't favorable conditions for actually getting anywhere. so he may not have gotten that far from Pensacola? And in the Gulf Intracoastal waterway, there are many opportunities to get set aground in the sand by the strong winds, which would be good in a way, it would draw attention to this boat without being too dangerous, since the Sound (Miss, Al) is sheltered, at least away from the breaks between the islands.

Has the Coast Guard included his boat's description in their Broadcast Notices to Mariners? that's probably the best thing for locating him. Not much pleasure traffic out there in December. But oilfield traffic's always around once you get near Louisiana, and they would monitor their radios.

I may be telling you what you already know, or have guessed. but no news isn't necessarily bad news, as others have pointed out. Lots of places to drop the hook and wait for better weather for anyone so inclined.

God bless, good luck, and best wishes to you, and him.
bljones likes this.

Last edited by nolatom; 12-23-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Here's a poster with more detail:

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Eye of Horace? Ergh, folks might recognize it more as the Eye of Horus.
This fella, with the big bird eye:

Predating Christianity, Bhuddism, and Islam by many many years. Oh, the youngsters these days.
Old 12-25-2013

sweetcarolinesue is on a distinguished road

Uff da, thank you for that. It is a typo and I will fix it right away. My mind has been strained so much over the past few days, I didn't realize it. The tattoo is the eye only, not whole person.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations of other resources I can contact? I have called the Coast Guards in Pensacola, South Padre Island and Key West. I have also contacted some marine patrols in both areas.

I know right now it is a needle in a haystack, spanning an area from South Texas/Mexico border all the way to the Bahamas/Cuba. Last weekend he had purchased material to work on a boat he was contracted to do. He was working in the marina on all types of boats, engines, bright work, mechanical, painting - pretty much everything & anything.

I can only share what I know to be true. I have a flight scheduled down at the beginning of January and he was excited to see me. I posted this information because I am concerned about him.

Whether he's "getting some air" or "sailing away to start a new life" - the bottom line is he has a wife & step-son that are left wondering, picking up the pieces and may never know what happened to him.
Old 12-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Right now you are doing what you can, and as the suddenly omnipresent t-shirts say, "Keep Calm and Carry On" is the best thing you can do. The number of folks who "go missing" every year, by their own volition and for their own reasons, is staggering, five or six figures depending on whose numbers you read. Inconspicuous boat, plenty of quiet corners it can be sitting in...Try to sit tight and give the alerts and eyeballs out there some time to work.
Old 12-25-2013

sweetcarolinesue is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for the words of reassurance. I do need the help of everyone's eyes, it cannot be done only by me (especially because I am in the Midwest). All information/assistance is tremendously appreciated.
Old 12-26-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

It's never fun to go through something like this, but it is especially tough this time of year. I hope your son and you have managed to at least find some comfort in each other's company, and I hope this is all over (and with him returned in good health and better spirits) soon.

Please do come back and give us updates. We're rooting for you, sending prayers, positive vibes, etc. to both Roy and you.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.