Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Best week to sail in MA

I am a member of a sailing club in Massachusetts and as part of my membership I get a sailboat for one straight week in the summer. I will be taking the club's Pearson 36 out of Westport MA. Thinking of sailing to Newport and the Vineyard. I know luck plays a big part of it, but what week would you take from May to September?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Slayer For This Useful Post:
TomMaine (12-23-2013)
Old 12-22-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Re: Best week to sail in MA

The water is very cold still in May. Avoid the week of July 4th. Last week of July and first week of August are the most crowded. We go the last 3 weeks of August. Sept is great. No crowds but have to watch for tropical storms.
Jim
Old 12-22-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

IMHO the week AFTER labor day would be great. The water will still be warm, the wind should be decent, and the marina's will not be crowded.

If you want to swim or want more daylight, then going the week after July 4 would be good.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-22-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Jim is right about the last week of July. That's when we (and a LOT of other clubs) hold their cruises. We're planning to get Nantucket this year, and all the spots you've mentioned are on our way there or back. Second or third week of July would avoid some of the crowd and have a chance at good weather, though the breeze may be lighter than in September.
Old 12-22-2013

I was thinking the week after Labor Day would be ideal, I just don't think I can wait that long. Definately would like to avoid heavy crowds. What about the last week of June?
Old 12-22-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Newport Jazz and Folk fest are always fun. At Fort Adams, you can hang out on the water and hear just fine. Good anchoring just to just north of the fort and lots of night happenings in town. Prime time. Jazz 8/1 thru 8/3 Newport Jazz Festival and Folk 7/24 thru 7/27 http://www.newportfolk.org/
Old 12-22-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Hey Slayer,

I thought that you did this same trip in 2013. Did you not?

I am planning a week long trip, to the same destinations, that will co-incide with the Perseid Meteor Shower in August. The current plan is to sail from August 9 or 10, to August 16 or 17.

I did the trip at the same time last year with my sailing club, and we all had a great time. There was no problem with crowds. Many of us met at Third Beach in Newport, then all went to Cuttyhunk (there were few enough people there that I was able to anchor in the inner harbor!), then we planned to go to Lake Tashmoo (several boats did not make this stop), then everyone met at Edgartown. From there some went to Nantucket, some went to Chatham, and my boat went to Dutch Harbor. Boats came and left our fleet, so everyone had a slightly different experience.

One boat, a Gemini 30 Catamaran, was based out of Westport. I expect that he will be joining us again.

PM me if you would like detail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Slayer (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I was thinking the week after Labor Day would be ideal, I just don't think I can wait that long. Definately would like to avoid heavy crowds. What about the last week of June?
Last week of June may be crowded, as everyone will have their boats in the water by then, and al of the ports will be opening to accommodate them. I made a jaunt to Cuttyhunk during the second week of June, and none of the harbor businesses were open...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 12-22-2013

Thanks for the info Eherlihy!! I did a short version in September of this year, just three days. Sailed over to Cuttyhunk, but nowhere else. I did fall in love with Westport and the area. Will PM you with more questions.
Old 12-23-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

You are getting good advice.

Late August through September is best. The water stays warm, and the crowds lessen, even as early as the second half of August…seems like a lot of schools start their sessions earlier and people leave. Even some of the local restaurants, etc., complain that it's hard for them to keep help through labor day due to various schools starting earlier, and families leaving.

Your hurricane risk increases with this strategy, but otherwise, that's what I'd do.