Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How hard is it to sail around the world alone on a scale of 1-10?
1 (easiest) 6 12.77%
2 0 0%
3 4 8.51%
4 1 2.13%
5 2 4.26%
6 2 4.26%
7 7 14.89%
8 7 14.89%
9 6 12.77%
10 (hardest) 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: How hard is it to sail around the world alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldrich View Post
Jessica Watson did a 7-month nonstop solo circumnavigation. She had internet with her (she could check her email), she had radio with her (she could call home and talk to family and get weather reports), she didn't have to worry about colliding with a ship while sleeping (she had a loud alarm system for that), she had cameras on board to document her journey. And she had quite a boat, a proven S&S 34 which has done many circumnavigations. She also had sponsors to provide her with all that state-of-the-art equipement.
I like the S&S34 also. PO solo circumnavigated mine, pic below.

Here is also a great vid of Jessie Marin's solo non stop circumnavigation via 5 great capes in Lionheart, an S&S 34. OP should order a copy:

Amazon.com: Lionheart - The Jesse Martin Story: Jesse Martin, Jesse Martin, Paul Currie: Movies & TV Amazon.com: Lionheart - The Jesse Martin Story: Jesse Martin, Jesse Martin, Paul Currie: Movies & TV

Here's some vid of Jessica's return from non-stop:

Attached Thumbnails
How hard is it to sail around the world alone?-1229131643b.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
To compare an around the world cruise to a non stop round the world, is like comparing a walk in the park to running a marathon.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-31-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

This is really pretty simple. If you were anywhere NEAR ready to take on a voyage like this, then you wouldn't feel the need to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet how hard it is.
Old 01-01-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie55 View Post
I don't know why alot of sailors think its sooo hard to do a solo circumnavigation. I mean just do what Robin Lee Graham did. Get a sea-worthy boat, tons of food and supplies. And just sail off into the sunset. Whether it takes one year, two years, five years who cares. Or whether you visit one country, two countries, 10 countries, 50 countries. Just as long as you make it back in one piece, that is all what matters. Do you guys agree?
ok sounds great. You have the cash for me to do so? cuz I would easily do it if I had money for a sea worthy boat and tons of food and supplies. I have plenty of experience and plenty of time, but no where near enough cash to even come close to buying one tenth of a sea worthy boat. let alone a ton of food and supplies. Or I would be there now. I got almost two grand in my savings. Maybe in a few more lifetimes I can do it.
Old 01-01-2014

safira is on a distinguished road

When i did my circunavigation, I asked a lot of questions before trying it ... but i made myself a promise to do it when I was a youngster ... people told me it would take anywhere from 2 years to 4 years to do .... that was a joke cause I took just under 10 years to do it ... I would get to a place and stop for a week or two maybe even a month, the longest stop was about 4 months .... I had bad weather at times and even a few storms but all in all just watched the weather and sailed in the good and stayed put in the bad ... if you use common sense then it is not all that hard ... you get into trouble when you think you are a super hero and you can do anything!!!!!
Old 01-01-2014

Torch is on a distinguished road

I love when replies begin with 'when I did...'

Great reply. Happy New Year all
Old 01-01-2014

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
somebody splain dat to mee.
Half way around the world is one long, returning is two longs but, that didn't make a rite, as in right of passage.

I thought that was pretty danm clever play on words

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 01-04-2014

DocBrauer is on a distinguished road

I have single handed to the Philippines where I am currently. Had two 1 month legs. Been in situations been much better with 2 people. Currently with a filipina who may continue with me so may not solo circumnavigate after all. Gave it a 7.

Tags
around the world , circumnavigation , difficulty , robin lee graham , yacht