Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: How hard is it to sail around the world alone on a scale of 1-10?
1 (easiest) 6 12.77%
2 0 0%
3 4 8.51%
4 1 2.13%
5 2 4.26%
6 2 4.26%
7 7 14.89%
8 7 14.89%
9 6 12.77%
10 (hardest) 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013

scottie55 is on a distinguished road
How hard is it to sail around the world alone?

I don't know why alot of sailors think its sooo hard to do a solo circumnavigation. I mean just do what Robin Lee Graham did. Get a sea-worthy boat, tons of food and supplies. And just sail off into the sunset. Whether it takes one year, two years, five years who cares. Or whether you visit one country, two countries, 10 countries, 50 countries. Just as long as you make it back in one piece, that is all what matters. Do you guys agree?
trav365plus likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How hard is it to sail around the world alone?

So easy a 14 year old could do it. (With 14 yrs of sailing experience)

LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! - ? Home ?
Old 12-26-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

is this a baiting thread? just sayin

robins boat almost completely fell apart despite his best efforts---it was a leaky creaky mess... after getting some money he finished on a very new back then luders 33

I do agree however about the sail into the sunset...people get so caught up with outfitting a boat when all you have to see is those that have gone before you have done so in a gazillion type of vessels...so dont get caught up in westmarine catalogs and hearsay at the clubhouse...

refit and strengthen your boat and go cruising

simple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

If you have to ask.. you aren't ready!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Not that I'm qualified to answer, but what is a 10? If a 10 is how difficult it is to save enough money and put your own space program together so you can walk on the moon, then the number is probably around a 1. If a 10 is learning fluent Chinese, then it's probably a 6.

So we need a little more information. :-)

Regards,
Brad
davidpm likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 12-26-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Scottie, how much sailing experience do you have to even imagine what is easy and what is hard in this case? I have been offshore only once in rough weather (sea was at 7) and I was with an experienced skipper. It was a very sobering experience. So I gave it a 10 in your poll because when you are alone and something goes wrong in bad weather, you are in a very tight spot.
Having a lot of money for a good boat with a good gear helps a lot. Having a lot of experience helps a lot. Being a naturally born and confirmed badass helps. But it is still going to be a 10.
Old 12-27-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Talk to any of the solo distance racers about what it takes to sail solo for long periods of time. The mental aspects of being alone for that long have caused suicides, are notorious for causing auditory and visual hallucinations, and the lack of sleep can be crushing.

It can be done, but the total number of people who have completed a solo circumnavigation is probably less than 1,000. With a reported 260 as of 2009 there are more people that have been to the ISS than have solo circumnavigated (as reported).
Old 12-27-2013

Torch is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the thoughtful replies. However, they seem to assume a non-stop circumnavigation, don't they?

What is the longest leg, 3 weeks maybe? Would loneliness be such a big factor if you were stopping along the way. Also would give the opportunity to re-provision and make repairs.
Old 12-27-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

It really depends on what route, and what boat, but three weeks is a pretty optimistic crossing from Hawaii to California for instance. It doesn't sound so bad, but try going and living in your kitchen for three weeks, never sleeping more than 20 minutes at a time, and randomly turn the spritzer on the sink spray you for a day at a time. At the same time, no kindle or books (they got wet and destroyed), no tv, no phone or internet, just sitting on your kitchen floor for a few weeks. Only eat food that doesn't need refrigeration, but you get a candy bar at the halfway point. Then at the very end on the three weeks, roll a dice, and if it turns up even add another week.

Sure it is makeshift, and much easier than reality, but it will give you an idea of what it's like to do any distance solo sailing. Which is why the solo racers have to go thru significant proofing before they are allowed to even compete in many solo offshore races. The solo transpac for instance requires a minimum of a 400 mile solo sail for provisional admittance.

I have done a good bit of solo sailing, up to about two days between ports. I have been sailing for 30 years, and raced big budget offshore programs, and done more deep water deliveries than I can count, and I wouldn't even consider a solo circumnav. I don't like myself that much.
Slayer and davidpm like this.

Last edited by Stumble; 12-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

since I haven't done it I didn't vote

but I am impressed that apparently 12 here have as that is the current number of votes
Lou452 and trav365plus like this.

Tags
around the world , circumnavigation , difficulty , robin lee graham , yacht

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.