Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Marathon meet-up

Thanks to my wife and son who turned the wheel over to me at 10:00 PM each night, we made great time getting down here to Florida with our 14' Odyssey. It was not the trip I originally planned, but passing Hatteras was a lot easier going the inland route. The apparent wind was always right on the nose.

We surfed in NC. We surfed in FL at Ponce Inlet, where we took our Odyssey right onto the beach. We toured a swamp, from the comfort of a boardwalk. In Clearwater we saw Florida's west coast, and we are currently in Tampa. Tomorrow we go to swim with Manatees, after renting some kayaks.

Saturday we are on Marathon for a week.

We have beer on board and would love to get together with any Sailnet-ers in the area. We could also pick some things up on the way if anyone needs anything from an inland store.

Regards,
Brad
347-9 one eight -6621 cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Marathon meet-up

Sounds great, Brad!

Take a rain check until you're through the Panama and up the West Coast

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-27-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

When you get to Marathon, be sure to go to the City Marina's Tiki Hut at 6 p.m. on Saturday Night. That's where you'll find my friend Randy Turner playing his guitar and singing, often accompanied by other musicians. Every morning at 9 a.m., there is a great chat on VHF channel 16 - low power only, a Marathon Sailors Net, which is always interesting and you can announce to anyone items for sale, introduce yourself and look for sailnetters. You'll find Marathon is difficult to leave. I ended up spending the entire winter there and loved every minute. Some wonderful people and lots of things to do.

Gary
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-29-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Thanks Gary. We've been having a blast. Got here yesterday and snorkeled a Bahia Honda. Was murky but got us ready to snorkel offshore today. One of my kids found a big lobster today. We took pictures.

The kids did a typical tourist thing and got pictures with a parrot on their head.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 12-29-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Thanks Gary. We've been having a blast. Got here yesterday and snorkeled a Bahia Honda. Was murky but got us ready to snorkel offshore today. One of my kids found a big lobster today. We took pictures.

The kids did a typical tourist thing and got pictures with a parrot on their head.

Regards,
Brad

Well, someone had to do it.
Old 12-29-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Post the photos - we would all love to see them.

Here's the view from the tiki hut at Marathon City Marina where I played music every Saturday night for three months.

Boot Key Harbor mooring field from the Tiki Hut.

The mooring field at sunset.

Me snorkeling at Sombrero Reef, where you'll find mooring balls just for that purpose.

The Marathon Public Beach, which was deserted most weekdays.

Sure wish I were there right now!

Gary
christian.hess likes this.
Old 12-30-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Today we decided to not use the car at all. Our rented house on Marathon is in a small ocean-front community that has everything (small shops, coffee, liquor store, food store) lcose by, and includes access to a beach club.

I'll have to post some pictures, but want to figure out an easier way then using the ftp site that I usually use.

CruisingDad called me up. He's nearby and we're looking to get together for a burger and a beer.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 12-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post

CruisingDad called me up. He's nearby and we're looking to get together for a burger and a beer.

Regards,
Brad

Be sure to take pictures then.. we want to know what he really looks like.. not the proxy he uses in his posts..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Post the photos - we would all love to see them.

Here's the view from the tiki hut at Marathon City Marina where I played music every Saturday night for three months.

Boot Key Harbor mooring field from the Tiki Hut.

The mooring field at sunset.

Me snorkeling at Sombrero Reef, where you'll find mooring balls just for that purpose.

The Marathon Public Beach, which was deserted most weekdays.

Sure wish I were there right now!

Gary
Some nice photos there, Gary! Time for conch fitters & a cold one.

Gary-2
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 12-31-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Trying to attach pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Marathon meet-up-image.jpg  

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .