SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Why has this board gone stale? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/11396-why-has-board-gone-stale.html)

Irwin32 03-17-2005 03:58 PM

Why has this board gone stale?

I have been on this board for a number of years. The last year has really been dead. I check in every 1-2 weeks and find so little. How do we pump some new life into this board - it used to be a great spot to check on a daily basis. what happened?

boatbum 03-17-2005 05:58 PM

weenies.

SailinJay 03-18-2005 04:59 AM

"The Truth as I Know it"

HHJ 03-18-2005 06:10 AM

That and Regatta Point Marina, which seems somehow related to "Truth."

TrueBlue 03-18-2005 06:29 AM

Religion, politics & sailing mix like oil & water. Sailing & sailing boards, should be reserved as a means of enjoyment.

Perhaps this board has gone stale because people with fresh, sail-specific topics to contribute, can''t be bothered by the BS . . . so spend time elsewhere.

markcash 03-18-2005 06:38 AM

Personally, I think the bickering is a form of cabin fever. If we can just make it to the warmer weather and get back out on the water, we''ll then have more sailing stuff to talk about.

kokopelli9 03-18-2005 07:36 AM

No matter what side of "the Truth" a person is on, it is not comfortable to be around people who are bickering and have to have the last word. I rarely visit this site anymore because there have been "happier" places on other boards where I can get sailing help and info.

I think it will take a group effort to put life back into this board...so here is my attempt to help...
My sailing club is having a hard time coming up with some unique and wonderful programs for future meetings....seems like we have covered most every topic we can think of...give me some suggestions...what have your sailing clubs done...do you know of any fun sailing games? Please give me some really unusual ideas that would be interesting or helpful to sailors of varied sailing skills and boats.

Thanks in advance...
bobbi
S/V Kokopelli

geohan 03-18-2005 09:07 AM

Here are two activities for light-air summer afternoons that have been entertaining to both participants and observers.

1. PENULTIMATE RACE
Just prior to arrival at a cruise destination, each participant attaches a tow consisting of an empty one gallon milk jug on a 100-foot long piece of thread. The thread must not be strong enough to support the jug when filled with water or submerge it when empty.
When deployed the contestants must follow the Colregs (Rules of the Road), ie., the privilaged vessel must hold course and speed while the burdened boat is free to cut off the other''s tow. (The tow and line is NOT considered part of the privilaged vessel)
The penultimate (next-to-last), or only, boat crossing the finish line with tow intact is the winner.

2. BLIND DINGY RACE
The oarsperson is blindfolded and rows under instructions from a partner around a short course. Since one partner''s ''right'' is the other''s ''left'', confusion reigns, bumps and oar tangles are frequent and it becomes a real hoot. The small kids get to tell Daddy what to do and seem to like it immensely. (In addition to floatation gear be sure to keep little fingers inside the boat).

Billpjr 03-18-2005 09:50 AM

I kinda sorta stay away because of really bogus opinions which are written as the "word". I have to bite my tongue or go away. One small example is a post where the "expert" says anchor lines don''t get caught easier with fin keels (than full keels)when anchoring in current. He never had it happen, therefore it doesn''t in his own mind and challenges those who know better. Go cruising in the Caribbean and it is a daily happening.

flicker 03-18-2005 09:58 AM

So, in the Penultimate Race, the winning boat would be good at passing broadside on the stern of the other boats. Sounds like-- dare I say-- devilishly good fun. Master-and-Commander-ish.

Chas.