Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005

markcash is on a distinguished road
Fishing

What are the best ways to fish from a sailboat? All of my fishing experience involves flyrods and ultra-light fly rods and mountain streams. Seems to me there are some pretty big fish out there that regularly make their way to the menu on the laid-back sailboats and I''d like to know a little more about get them into my diet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2013

macswift is on a distinguished road
Re: Fishing

Hi Mark
The words 'ultra-light' and 'sailboat-fishing' should never be used in the same sentence!
But you don't need expensive, complicated gear - and you can see exactly how to go about it at Handline Fishing from a Sailboat Will Keep the Crew Well Fed
Old 10-26-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Mac,

As an avid trout and salmon fly rod fisherman, myself, I only use a fly rod on dinghy fishing excursions while anchored. I am rarely in a situation that makes sense when sailing. Maine has many salt water fishing opportunities worthy of becoming cruise destinations in their own right. I take a 9 x 9 Orvis graphite rod and saltwater reel with me aboard the boat. Rocket tapers for turning over large flies.

We do fish while sailing and go sailing to fish. There are many productive shoals along the Maine coast. Depths from 30' to 300' that become "holding places" for fish. We plan fishing lunches as we cruise. Under favorable conditions we hove to and drift a shoal with a hand line. I hold 300' of heavy mono line on a 1' x 18" piece of plywood, notched on the longer ends to gather the line. I split a 2x4 and made a handle along one long edge by attaching each half on opposite sides. I have shaped the "handle" a little to fit my hand comfortably. It is the best place to store the hooks, too. A soft piece of fir helps. I rig it with a large Cod Jig as the end weight. Sometimes I remove the treble hook from it and bounce it along the bottom. Above it the baited hooks ride a couple of feet apart. Three or four of these on 18" leaders is plenty. A gaff, a net, even a spear gun can make landing a fish successful and safe. Food! Caught from your floating dock, while you had a comfortable lunch. Unlock the wheel and head for your anchorage. You can't get fresher fish for dinner! It ain't catching a salmon on a bomber or a brookie on a may fly but I love fresh fish!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 01-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

A buddy does many deliveries to Bermuda and the Caribbean. He has what resembles a hose reel with zillion pound test on it. It clamps to the pushpit. He pays it out and just cruises along. When a fish bites (and one always does eventually on multi-day passages), they just drag it until it gives up and they reel it in. I've seen pics of tuna and other species. It's not a Sunday morning fishing trip to get your mind off things, it's more a commercial approach to finding food.
downeast450 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-26-2013

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road

In light wind days, we'll troll for salmon and trout in Lake Ontario. I use a 10' trolling rod with a dipsy diver that gets the lure down to about 70 feet. The hard part is keeping the boat around 2knts! That's the best speed for trout and salmon here.
Old 10-26-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

100lb BS nylon with a pink squid and a 2 oz bullet works for me. No rod but a bit of bungee helps on the short one.

One at 300ft one at 200 ft and one just skipping on the surface.

The fish goes WTF

Hmm squid --- am I hungry??

YES I am having the next one!

Keep a little spray bottle with some strong rum in it. One squirt in the gills and they die happy instantly.

Last edited by TQA; 10-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

I use a 120 lb monofil line, wire leader and and relatively small lures -- rubber squids, or 5" tuna plugs, for example (if you use big lures you catch big fish which you really don't want to deal with). I attach the line to a bicycle inner tube which is attached to the stern pulpit. I use a bell attached to the inner tube to alert me to "fish on".

I do not slow down or otherwise try to accommodate the fish -- they either bite or they don't, their choice. That's probably why I average one fish per 1000 lure miles. We might heave-to to fight the fish, but usually just drag them a while until they drown.

It's really not fishing, at least in the usual sense of the term.

P.S. Offshore they usually bite at dawn and dusk.
Old 10-26-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

A hand line with line of sufficient size to be comfortable in your hand, using a pair of leather gloves will do fine. A pole will not as you can't "pump" if you don't stop the boat. Set the hand line from the quarter, not the stern or the lure becomes lost in the swirl. A heavy shock cord at the onboard end is an absolute necessity. Use good quality swivel snaps to attach leader (wire) to hand line.
Set the lure twice the length of the boat at six knots, shorter if slower, longer if faster (not critical, but a good gauge for distance). You want to see the lure "bubbling down the face of the second wave back, if possible. Remember it is the boat that attracts the fish; if the lure is too far out it won't work as well. Also by fishing off the quarter the line is affected by the quarter wake which causes added motion to the lure.
Specific colors and lures for dolphin; green/yellow, tuna; red/white, wahoo; purple, all feather lures with a metal head often with red eyes about 1 oz. I generally use a blue/white plastic squid with a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce egg sinker in the head, a good all fish lure, but not the best if targeting specific fish. The faster you go, for tropical pelagic fish, the better; I have hooked plenty of fish at 17 knots.
Once you get the hang of it, experiment with making your own skirts after the feathers are gone; colored plastic bag material shredded into a feather like consistency work very well. Recycling to eat, not too bad.
Good luck.
Old 10-26-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

This is what I use:

A Simple Handline for Trolling While Sailing

And, it works

Rik
Old 10-26-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A buddy does many deliveries to Bermuda and the Caribbean. He has what resembles a hose reel with zillion pound test on it. It clamps to the pushpit. He pays it out and just cruises along. When a fish bites (and one always does eventually on multi-day passages), they just drag it until it gives up and they reel it in. I've seen pics of tuna and other species. It's not a Sunday morning fishing trip to get your mind off things, it's more a commercial approach to finding food.
We call them yoyos here in Florida. Great for shore fishing, too,-easy to manage, and casts a l-o-o-o-n-n-g way out.

Plastic Yoyos
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.