Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By manatee
  • 1 Post By christian.hess
  • 1 Post By mad_machine
  • 1 Post By manatee
  • 1 Post By manatee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
El Salvador volcano erupts

Christian.Hess, is this thing causing you any trouble?

El Salvador volcano erupts, prompting evacuations - World News
christian.hess likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: El Salvador volcano erupts

not me per se but it ****** up all the coffee plantations and ag in that area

there is a saying here that a hammer is whats needed to put the finale to all crap that can hit you at once kind of like murphys law

coffee has been hit bad here lately, can you say starbucks?

I live and work in the mountains where I have a restaurant.... the coffee plantations and owners of fincas where they produce it say this is it...end all

not just because of the ash that has burnt the last remaining cofffee in the east but because we have been hit by ROYA which is the coffee equivalent of grape plague in europe in the 20 century

so no it hasnt affected san salvador or me here in the west BUT

it screwed up USULUTAN, SAN MIGUEL AND LA UNION

the east

major crop areas

bummer

thanks for being informed and interested manatee Ill keep you updated

btw
they say that in 200 bc or so a massive eruption in lake ilopango is what triggered the dark ages

holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and we are so smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll llllllllllll

thats where I trained the national sailing team

YIKES!

peace guys

thanks manatee
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 12-30-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Stay safe down there, Christian. No need to reenact Pompeii

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 12-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistian.hess
and we are so smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll llllllllllll
Well, the volcano is making you a little less smaaaaallllll.

Glad you're OK. You might want to keep the boat stocked & prepped for a quick getaway in case things start looking Pompei-ish.

Maybe the ash will cure the ROYA? Can any of the pre-roasted coffee be salvaged? If it can, you could market it as a special-label product for a premium price.

Doesn't the ash enrich the soil? If you need an industry to hold you over until the coffee rebounds, you could sell ash as a mineralacious soil amendment, make fire-bricks from the ash, and I remember reading somewhere that the Romans used it to make a concrete that sets up underwater.

Lake Ilopango is a volcanic caldera and you trained a sailing team there!? Do they clank when you jump up & down?

Take care, and Happy New Year!

It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013

lake ilopango is so underrated...its a mega caldera and yeah we trained the national sailing team down there...its only 20 minutes or so from san salvador...and its sooooooooooooooooo beautiful

every day 12 noon 15-20knot winds from the south ALL YEAR ROUND rain or shine...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU GUYS TOO

thanks for the thoughts

ps. the boat is still under refit so if the crap hits the fan dont think that would be my best option...bummer

Old 12-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Well, the volcano is making you a little less smaaaaallllll.

Glad you're OK. You might want to keep the boat stocked & prepped for a quick getaway in case things start looking Pompei-ish.

Maybe the ash will cure the ROYA? Can any of the pre-roasted coffee be salvaged? If it can, you could market it as a special-label product for a premium price.

Doesn't the ash enrich the soil? If you need an industry to hold you over until the coffee rebounds, you could sell ash as a mineralacious soil amendment, make fire-bricks from the ash, and I remember reading somewhere that the Romans used it to make a concrete that sets up underwater.

Lake Ilopango is a volcanic caldera and you trained a sailing team there!? Do they clank when you jump up & down?

Take care, and Happy New Year!
you sir are a very informed person and I tip my hat to you...you are so right on these points...
I told my coffee growing bud that ash is a soil enrichener and he said yeah but if all our crops completely die this year Ill be out of business...so basically who ever survives or comes in to plant after this will be sitting on GOLD...

ps. the romans made the tunnels and aquaduct system using this ash mortar mix combo and man I could use some of this to fix my leaky keel hull joint? jajaja

thousands of years ago people made stuff from nature that still beats underwater epoxy...impressive indeed!

maybe ILL go pic some up and sprinkle it around my keel

lake ilopango was a mega caldera....but has been extinct for many years...however it did make a huge explosion in the early 1800s I beleive...

Old 12-31-2013

I read a lot, and ancient technology is one of my interests. The Romans were fantastic engineers, adding their organizational skills in practical applications to the math & science they learned from the Greeks. The South American and MesoAmerican indians were also magnificent scientists and builders. Have you spent any time exploring their work?

Sorry to hear you can't use the boat for your escape pod. Use the ash as a thixogen for your epoxy? Is your boat in the water or on the hard? If the latter, you could drop the keel & use a couple of cases of butyl tape from Maine Sail to rebed it.

Did enough ash fall to make mudslides a concern if it rains? Does your friend with the coffee know any potters? If he does lose the trees, he could build some kilns, make clay from the ash, and fire the kilns with the dead trees. I hope things work out for him.

Happy New Year!

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 12-31-2013

im in the water

decks just finished being gelcoated and new bulkheads are being glassed in...after that its installing chainplated and new stays

then its off to careen and reseal the joint and HOPEFYLLY torque the nuts a but since we will be standing the keel on sandbags so the weight helps...

it will be a big event as Ive never careened a finkeeler but the guy doing it has done an islander 36 before so thats that in my book

thanks manatee

cool dude

happy new year to you guys too

Im off to start cooking some new years dinner!

christian

ps. NO MUDLSIDES MAN! its dry season here aka winter for you guys up north,...its smooth sailing till july or so...