SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

florida marinas

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I been gone for a while and need help on marinas located around the Miami area. I am purchasing a 50'' ketch located in the keys and they are charging $10.00 a foot in the marina. Is that a reasonable price for Florida marinas or can I take her up the coast for cheaper rates? We only plan to stay a few months while we maker her ready for crusing.
Thanks for your help
Tauras

#6 ·
The marina is called Boot Key Harbor city
marina 305-289-8877. The mooring is by mooring balls and the dingy dock is very close. Go to their web site at Bootkeyharbor.com if you use your broser type in marathon florida and there are several articles about the marina in the past and what has been going on for the past few yrs. Marathon Florida is about half way down the keys. We are moving our 47 vagabond
to that location in May to make her ready for crusing. They charge 150.00 per month and you get one free pumpout per week. Any additional pumpouts are 5.00 and the boat called the honey pot will come out when called. They have cleaned the marina up quite a bit and it''s now a enviromental clean area. There were 183 sunken boats in the marina area they have been taken out of the water and they are very very strick on no
discharges. The water is in good condition and the bottom is now clean. Hope this gives you some idea about the place. The newspaper in Marathon has several articles on the marina and you can call them and talk to, I think his name is Jason and he will tell you all about it.
Good luck
Tauras

#7 ·
starcresttoo,
I don''t keep up with marina names anymore because they change every yr or two. Harbortown on the Barge Canal is one of the local favorites. I checked liveaboard rates a few months ago and got the $8 figure for 35'' on a yr lease. Call marinas in the Melbourne, Merritt Island, Port Canaveral area for specifics.

#9 ·
taurus.. did you get into boot key moorings?

from what you were saying in april you are unaware of the politics of boot key harbor.. why not get on the liveaboard list and ask about the harbor/./
there are a number of residents of marathon on the list..
in general the miami area is expensive but check with dinner key marina..
izabella

#11 ·
Izabella01 said: taurus.. did you get into boot key moorings? from what you were saying in april you are unaware of the politics of boot key harbor.. why not get on the liveaboard list and ask about the harbor/./ there are a number of residents of marathon on the list.

So, I''m wondering now, and a litle worried. I have been considering two trips from the west coast of Florida to the east. One through the Okechobee, and the other to Key west and around the tip. That trip is attractive and seems like more fun and less bugs, but only if I feel like I can take a break in Boot Key Harbor if I have to.

Is it so inhospitable to cruisers, notably liveaboard cruisers now, that I might not be able to count on staying there? I''m thinking (weather providing) no more than a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.