SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why has this board gone stale? Vol 2

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  LaceyKay 
#1 ·
It was too much trouble to run through the pages to see the latest post here so I started a new thread.

I cannot remember who made the last post, but he said now that it was sailing season he noticed the board had picked up. It really has picked up and maybe it was the winter doldrums.

I think we need to get rid of winter. We should look at ways to quicken continental drift so we maybe the US can move south and extend its sailing season.

#5 ·
Winters on the southern Chesapeake are typically slightly warmer and with less snow than we typically see where I live in Annapolis. Most years in Annapolis you can sail until the first or second week of January before the creeks freeze up(with temperatures in the mid-40 degree range so it is somewhat sailing for the hardy) and in years when there is ice, it usually clears away by mid-February. Some years you can sail year round in 40-50 degree weather. We can get snow as late as late March.

The south Bay typically gets a lot less ice than we do because it is warmer and the water is saltier.

Regards,
Jeff

#8 ·
Jeff: Good to see you are still writing. Well we finally found the boat we were looking for and it turns out not to be a
schooner but a 47'' Vagabond. We sold our 52''
1931 cutter and I can''t say it wasn''t a sad
day when we signed her over to her new owners but I wont miss the upkeep. An all wood old boat needs a lot of care. I won''t miss that at all. But the vagabond has more beam and it''s easy to sail. We are moving on board arround June when I retire.Sold the house, all but one of the cars and we are ready.
It''s been a while since I have been in the sailnet site and I was wondering why this site have become so stale. It use to be so
active and a good place to get help. I hope many of the members will return and add to the discussions. I have completely recoverd for a nasty bout of cancer and ready to start living again without couple of items that no one ever accused me of not having.
Hope to see more activity on this site. Good luck to all.
Tauras

#10 ·
We sailed out of St Michaels for a while. It''s on the eastern shore and was pretty casual. As long as you''re south of Baltimore the winters are not bad, but the summers can get exciting. They have some really nasty CB''s passing through there so if you''re on the hook, make darn sure it''s well set and you have plenty of room to swing. Spring and Fall are delightful. I heard a nasty rumor that the oysters are gone and I find that hard to believe.

#11 ·
I know it did slow down during the long winter months. Allot of people like the L&A site and some of the others I think they ike to fight with someone and call names ect. The whole thing seems to be a free for all and no one posts much about the subject that was started by about the third posting they have a fight going and the thread gets lost.Here it seeme to me that people are civil most of the time and try and reason with any subject that comes up by means of debate but waiting for every one to say what they want and then gathering the information into a pool. Unlike the hodge podge on other sites I come here and find sailors talking to other sailors.For some reason this site has true Sea Sence and maybe that hurts the membership numbers a little because they cant find some thing to throw a tantrum about as often as they like.

#13 ·
A year makes a difference

I did say that one year ago - and it was true then. This winter has been much better. Last year it seemed one could go a week and only get a couple new posts, now the board is much more active.

Administrator: I really like this new format. Keep moving as looks like your going the right direction.

#14 ·
Please DON'T move to Florida..... that is what everyone seems to be doing. If you can call spending 2 months a year here actually moving here. But becaue of all of those people doing that, those of us youngins who were actually born and raised here can't afford to live here anymore, becuase of how real estate is being driven up so quickly by those who only stay in that home for 2 months then close it up for the rest. :mad:

I just graduated college, and couldn't afford a real house with an actual yard (can't find them for under $175,000 right now!!) yet, so had to buy a condo, and out of the 8 units in my buidling, only 2 are full time residents. :confused:

Its really a horrible thing that is happening (no offense to all of you northerners - you can't help it you live in the cold) but there is nothing that can be done, it will just get worse. But let me warn you - florida is no longer the beautiful place you see in all of the pictures - it is traffic, red tide, dying manatees, condos, and ritzy communities. :eek:

this is why i can't wait to get on a boat and get out of here! I would never be such a hypocrit as to move away to another state to get away, but I certainly plan to get on a boat and not be a part of any of it anymore!! (yeah i know this wasn't really on topic, but it really hits a nerve with me, and again no offense to anyone.) sorry, just felt the need to speak my very opinionated and abnoxious voice!!! :D

#15 ·
Lacy,
I can appreciate you opinion as you are from the state.

I do however have to point out one fact. I live in the Chicago area and $175,000.00 will not buy a shack. I bet if you asked the people from Califonia, they will tell you that $175K will not buy half a shack.

Sorry, I don't feel your pain.

Respectfuly,
Tim K.

#16 ·
Up here in Newport, RI, my college grad daughter and her s/o, can't even find a two bedroom starter cottage, for less than $400,000. The average 3 BR home, in an acceptable neighborhood, will cost a young family no less than $750,000.

Show me houses in FL - even for $200,000 - and I'll buy three of them. Smart investors know how to make a good return on their dollar, and FL real estate has been hotter than the stock market in recent months.

#17 · (Edited)
I can understand that. But growing up here, it was never like that, and I just want to be able to stay here, and it makes it tough. Plus, Im talking about looking for a home in the VERY small town that I grew up in and not being able to find something, not Orlando or Miami. Thats a little different from Chicago or northern areas, which are big cities, and where the pay is higher. We are stuck in the high real estate market, but the job salaries haven't caught up yet. I'm been teaching a few years and I"m only making $31,000. (In Chicago they start at 37,000, in New Jersey around $40,000, in ONtario $75,000, in New York $50,000, etc...) This is a major problem here in this area, beacause in the 18 months they found that the needed workers (police officers, firefighteers, teachers, etc) can't afford to live here anymore.

Besides, the real estate thing really isn't my issue. My issue is the people purchasing homes so that they can spend a few weeks out of the snow each year, and letting them sit the rest of the year. Everyone wants to move here, so everywhere you look beaches are becoming more and more lined with condos, they are building highways through our swamplands, FLorida panthers are losing their homes to gated communitites, bulldozers are filling up our estuaries, the list goes on forever and forever. Florida is not the same, it is being destroyed every day.

Everyone so desperately wants to get away from all the hustle and bustle so they come here, and now that what its turnign to down here. So everyone with their higher salaries up north can come down and buy their weekend condos, and investors can buy up our land, and then it all sits. All that destruction of land, and it justs sits. the condo sits until someone up north decides its beginning to get a little chilly, and the empty lot or home sits until the investor in California decides its time to flip. I won't go into how many animals lost their homes so that those places can sit empty.

The proablem is this:
Show me houses in FL - even for $200,000 - and I'll buy three of them. Smart investors know how to make a good return on their dollar, and FL real estate has been hotter than the stock market in recent months.

- Everyone is out to make a buck and that is all that is important to people anymore. Who cares if we destroy the only planet we have?

I guess my problem is that I'm a simple person. i love florida, i'm a 3rd generation native (you'll never meet another one) and it makes me sad that my kids will never do the things that I did growing up. i cna't understnad how money is so important to everyone, and i guess i never will understand that. its just so sad to me - everythign that is happening here. and the worst part is that it will keep happeneing, and it will only get worse. and there is nothing i can do about it. I teach Marine Science at a high school down here, and i try my best everyday to tell those kids how important our environment is, and how our futures will one day depend on it. i can only hope that they are listening.

"A few so called experts say that they aren't surprised that Hurricane Wilma caused such a mess. They say it was inevitable, with six million people crammed onto the tip of a low-lying penninsula in a hurricane zone. I'd like to promise that we will do a better job of coastal management in the future, but who am I kidding? We dont have the stones to say enough is enough. We will let them keep on building subdivisions until every last acre is gone..... Shark attacks, killer pythons, gator maulings, west-nile-oozing mosquitos, flesh-eating bacteria, killer hurricanes every 3 or 4 weeks - none of these threats have significantly dented Florida's insane growth rate." Carl Hiassen

#18 ·
Unfortunately, that is the way life is. I won't bore anyone with a long Econ101 lecture, but it won't stop, until there's nothing left to build. We live in a materialistic society and that isn't going to change. There's things that "could" be done, but won't be. In the end, we just have to deal with as best we can.

John

#20 ·
Except that one day that deserted island will probaly have a condo 15 stories high one it, huh. That is, if its not under water thanks to all of our fossil fuel emissions.......just kidding , I'll stop now!!

I'm really not this hateful of a person, i just don't usually get to voice my opinion!!! Don't hate me!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.