Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005
560kts sucks/7kts perfect

Sailpilot is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

I have a hunter 40.5 with alot of beam and little draft. This seams to make us swing and corkscrew on the mooring and anchor much more than others. I have tried double steadying sails on my split backstays. Nothing seems to keep her nose to the wind. Seeing how the nose is the thing getting blown around, I was thinking of mooring off the stern cleats. I am in a small bay and have little wave issues. Does anyone have advice on taming the swing or experience regarding mooring off the stern.

THX.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Mooring off Stern?

The real problem may be the position of your mast. One issue with fractional rigs is kiting at the anchor due to the more forward position of the mast. It is exacerbated on a boat like the 40.5 because the B&R rig has a more windage at the mast due to the extra set of shrouds.

I really cannot speak to anchoring stern to except to note that anchoring stern to can be hard on the rudder and quite noisey if anchored in even a small chop.

I have been somewhat but not totally successful in reducing kiting by rigging a bridle from the anchor rode that is taken to each of my bow cleats.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2005

GordMay is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

I wouldn’t recommend setting to a stern anchor (see Jeff’s reasoning & more). For an alternative strategy goto:
“SPRINGING THE RODE” ~ by Tor Pinney
http://www.tor.cc/articles/rode.htm
or
“Good Old Boat” Magazine ~ July/Aug. 2004, Issue 37 (page 81)
HTH
Gord May
Old 03-27-2005

paulk is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

We have a fractional rig, and as Jeff suggests, we often yaw a bit at anchor. Sometimes setting the rudder off at an angle (we use the wheel brake, with perhaps a spoke or two of turn) will disrupt the forces making the boat swing so much, or at least reduce it to tolerable levels.
Old 03-27-2005

Mooring off Stern?

Everyone thanks for the responses, and thanks for bringing the rigging into light of the situation. Still wondering if anyone has experience or input on mooring to a ball off the stern. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2005

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

I''d like to put a plug in for you to experiment with springing the rode, as Gord referenced and Tor Pinney''s article suggests. I VERY much dislike his drawing, which suggests placing the boat beam-to the wind; talk about odd motion and noise + commotion, yikes! But we''ve often sprung our anchor rode when dealing with that sideways surge and I can picture it being a way to use your spar & rig''s windage to an advantage vs. being its victim.

In our case, I use about 40'' of 7/16"+/- line and tie a rolling hitch onto the main rode just in front of the roller (so the knot doesn''t later complain), carry the line aft and outboard everything to the sheet winch, and temporarily leave it there on the self-tailing cleat with some slack in it. I then veer some rode at the bow, essentially playing around and trying to find the right ''place'' for the boat (in our case, to minimize roll). Understand that in e.g. 15 kts of wind, that secondary ''trimming line'' is seeing a lot of force, and I find using the sheet winch to arrange the final ''trim'' of the boat''s lie to its anchor is helfpul. (FWIW our boat is 13M/42'' and 11 tons).

Think of it as learning to ride a bike; you may not instantly find it works, and in changing conditions it may work less well, or take some additional trimming. But I bet it will improve things. (And BTW, please report back and tell the rest of us what you found out!)

Jack
Old 03-29-2005

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

You need what is called a riding sail. Its a small piece of sailcloth that you rig to the backstay of the boat. Your sailmaker can make you one or you can buy a kit from a place like sailrite. Offering the stern of your boat to the wind (vs the bow) i would think would put alot more drag on the mooring. In addition, I doubt that the rudder is designed for that kind of activity. In addition, the slapping of the stern will probably drive you nuts especially if you sleep in the aft cabin.
Old 03-30-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Mooring off Stern?

The original post says that he uses riding sails which do not seem to help.
Old 03-31-2005

jkumin is on a distinguished road
Mooring off Stern?

He almost assuredly has a fat roller furling headsail, which adds a lot of windage at the worse place. We sail with hanks and move around at anchor a lot less because of it. We have occasionally anchored off the stern. Not sure why it would be harder on the rudder as Jeff mentions than anchoring off the bow. If anything it puts the rudder closer to the pivot point (rode attachment point) which might imply less motion. The two big downsides are noise from chop slapping the stern as mentioned, and the cockpit is now upwind. The dodger is ineffective as shelter from the breeze and rain.

When bow anchoring you might try drilling a few holes in a five gallon bucket and tying it to a short pennant off the bow roller. It damps out the swings as the breeze blows the bow off.
Old 06-04-2005

Mooring off Stern?

Update:
Well she has been on the mooring ball from the stern for 2 months now. I am very pleased from the results. Zero and I mean ZERO swing! I opened up the dodger so that it won''t act like a parachute. We had a front come directly over with 68 knots of wind, no problems. The only problem is all the questions from everyone and the looks of the "Old Salts". The dock master intially told me I could not moor that way. He said that the stern gave to much wind resistance and in turn to much pressure on the mooring. I explained that my boat was swinging 90 degrees each way and jerking at the lines, causing much more force on the mooring. I also explained that I am an airline pilot and probably know a little about aerodynamics.

Quick explanation: Backwards sailboat with beamy stern looks like a rain drop. Rain drop equals the most natually aerodynamic shape.

It worked for me, you will get alot of strange looks from the boys. Anything different is usaully critized with or without the individaul knowing what he or she is talking about. Worked for me, might just work for you.

Blue skies and tailwinds,
sailpilot