Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005

CruiseDiver is on a distinguished road
Rudder Problem

I''m a newbie to SailNet, so please excuse me if I don''t follow normal conventions. I learn fast. I tried to post the following message through a thread in the archives, but it came back undeliverable. Can anyone offer suggestions for following problem:

I was surfing through the Jeanneau Owners archives and came across an e-mail you sent to Marc way back on 11/17/00. It sounds like you may have had the same problem I''m facing. When I haulled out on Nov. 1, last year I noticed that half of the rudder was missing on my 1985 Jeanneau Trinidad ''48. I had the boat hauled out in June to replace my wind instruments and it was fine then. I know that I did not touch bottom or hit anything all season, so I was shocked to see the extent of the damage. Upon closer inspection, I noticed 4 bolts protruding from the damaged side which may have been used to pull the lamenation together from an earlier repair. There was a nick in the leading edge of the rudder when I hand her hauled out for her survey when I purchased her in Ft. Lauderdale in 2002. I tried to expoxy the bare wood at the time. I sailed her from Florida to Wisconsin in May of 2003. I keep her in Manitowoc, WI. I''m surmizing that moisture wicked up into the lamination and then froze and expanded during the winter. The strenght of the rudder was compromised and it just "let go" sometime after my haul out in June. My marina wants $5,000+ to fix it. I had another estimate of $1,600 from a dealer in the Chicago area, but he couldn''t get to it until mid-June. Jeanneau America''s service department claims they have a new replacement part sitting in France at a cost of $4,000 (excluding shipping, and still would need to be installed). Any suggestions for other options. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2005

paulk is on a distinguished road
Rudder Problem

Sounds like the quote you got from your marina could be an indication of how much they want the job, rather than what it should cost. There are a number of places out there (do a google search) that can make you a new rudder for a lot less than $4000. $1600 sounds closer to the mark for a new rudder. Installing it is another issue, and this is where your marina may actually turn out to be close to the mark. Getting the old rudder post out may be a bear. The rudderpost is likely stainless steel, and the quadrants etc. are probably aluminum castings. They''ve now had 20 years to merge... The marina may have included replacing all sorts of stuff like quadrants and sheaves because they might not survive getting removed from the rudderpost so the rudder can be pulled. Depending upon how long the rudderpost is, you may need to be hoisted again to get the old one out and the new one in. Not knowing how your rudderpost is connected to your steering gear, or what condition things are in back there makes it difficult to tell. Bonne chance!
Old 08-17-2009

arjand is on a distinguished road
I know it is 3 1/2 yrs later but well.... Not a lot of posts on the trinidad 48 on this site whereas it looks to be a great boat. What is your general impression on the boat? Is it a true blue water boat as it was marketed or more a coastal cruiser as beneteau os now known for?